Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 367 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
SN
JV
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Can somebody explain to me how the F*** Ma Sucky will beat out Pinocchio in makeup? It literally makes no sense.

Because Viola, PenceHarris.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Because Viola, PenceHarris.

K, thanks ObamaRomney

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

have you seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGYyAuBlFJ4 ?

she is trying hard to get that Oscar… maybe even too hard?
    I must say she was really brave to “sing” all those songs she was nominated for Oscar till now… 😉

the supreme not afraid of shameless campaign after all these years

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Do you think there will be another shocking win like Ex Machina winning VFX or Lincoln winning Production Design ?

I honestly think The Father could win Editing considering that the Editing transmits the message that it’s more important than it really is, and without a clear frontrunner (although I’ve convinced myself to predict Chicago 7), and it’s probably a sign that Hopkins didn’t win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Damiansport1
    Topics:

So how confident are the people who predict Husavik in song? It’s the single toughest category to me. Speak Now has the prestige, nomination in acting but Husavik has the passion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

So how confident are the people who predict Husavik in song? It’s the single toughest category to me. Speak Now has the prestige, nomination in acting but Husavik has the passion.

I’m not predicting Husavik because it didn’t sweep the precursors like other winners that were solely nominated. I also think Odom Jr acting nom helps him. I know acting noms didn’t help Mary J. Blidge and Cynthia Erivo, but there were clear favorites in their years (Remember Me/This is Me, Love You Again).

But yeah, anything could happen in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I’m not confident in it, but it has the passion/ humour element the others don’t and it’s also part of the movie and it’s plot, unlike the other four, which I think will make a real difference. It’s also completely different from the others – three of which are fairly similar social justice end credit songs and one is a very standard ballad – they’re all pretty good, but don’t stand out. There’s also the aspect of the town campaigning for it, which will sway people who are aware of it. I also just want to pick it and will it into being.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

My no guts, no glory pick here is Emma for Costumes. The logic isn’t much more than my thinking that Emma’s costumes really stand out as beautiful and intricate, there’s lots of them, and I just don’t buy that Ma Rainey is strong in this category/ overall to win three or four awards, so it’ll have to be upset somewhere. Not sound logic by any means, but I feel like I need to go against the grain somewhere and, apart from Husavik, most of my other predictions are the obvious favourites.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Emma isn’t winning costumes if it couldn’t at BAFTA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I don’t like how 21 of my predictions match with the Goldderby odds so I’m trying to find an upset in a tech category but can’t really find one. Closest one I can think of is Mulan winning costume.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Emma isn’t winning costumes if it couldn’t at BAFTA.

You could have said the same about the last British win (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) or the last Alexandra Byrne win (Elizabeth: The Golden Age). Emma has an additional makeup nomination with the Oscars anyway, so it seems to be an exception to the usual home turf advantage.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

my no guts no glory is pinocchio for make-up, i feel like i’m playing my predictions too safe. i’m also 99% sure i’m gonna go back and forth on editing til the hour before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:
    gorman
    Topics:

I don’t like how 21 of my predictions match with the Goldderby odds so I’m trying to find an upset in a tech category but can’t really find one. Closest one I can think of is Mulan winning costume.

I do definitely think Ma Rainey is vulnerable in Costumes. Just thinking it over, I’m not sure there’s ever been a film with so few characters and costumes winning this award – apart from the admittedly impressive opening and some scenes with background extras, the majority of the film takes place in a single day and a single setting and, as far as I’m aware, none of them really change outfits. None of the male characters have particularly distinctive costumes (aside from Levee’s shoe, I guess) and Ma Rainey’s outfits are hardly iconic enough to say it’s a strong frontrunner. Most (I’d argue, all) winners in this category are big films with deep casts and/ or tons of stand-out costumes. I think you could feasibly make the point Ma Rainey would be the smallest film (in its time frame, cast, setting, number of costumes, etc.) to ever win the category, whereas the likes of Emma, Mulan or Mank have really big casts and tons of costumes on show. I dunno if that factors into voters minds, but I think it’s worth bearing in mind.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I do definitely think Ma Rainey is vulnerable in Costumes. Just thinking it over, I’m not sure there’s ever been a film with so few characters and costumes winning this award – apart from the admittedly impressive opening and some scenes with background extras, the majority of the film takes place in a single day and a single setting and, as far as I’m aware, none of them really change outfits. None of the male characters have particularly distinctive costumes (aside from Levee’s shoe, I guess) and Ma Rainey’s outfits are hardly iconic enough to say it’s a strong frontrunner. Most (I’d argue, all) winners in this category are big films with deep casts and/ or tons of stand-out costumes. I think you could feasibly make the point Ma Rainey would be the smallest film (in its time frame, cast, setting, number of costumes, etc.) to ever win the category, whereas the likes of Emma, Mulan or Mank have really big casts and tons of costumes on show. I dunno if that factors into voters minds, but I think it’s worth bearing in mind.

Exactly this. Admittedly I never was impressed by Ma Rainey’s costumes so I was a bit shocked it was winning every precursor.I have heard from pundits who have spoken with voters that they never even watched Emma. The Mank costume designer suffers from being a new name to the Academy (Same with the Mulan costume designer) and members’ apathy to the film in general. Also I’m starting to think Ann Roth’s narrative is undeniable at this point. <i>Ma Rainey </i>really benefits from weak competition and films such as The French Dispatch and Dune being delayed.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 367 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.