Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 361 through 367 (of 367 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
SN
JV
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Also I’m starting to think Ann Roth’s narrative is undeniable at this point. <i>Ma Rainey </i>really benefits from weak competition and films such as The French Dispatch and Dune being delayed.

This is a fair point, but I’m not sure tech categories really see narratives being bought into that much. There are so many nominees in these categories who get looked over so often, and it’s not like every possible oldest-ever winner has just been given the award. On top of that, Roth already has a win and Emma’s designer, Alexandra Byrne, is the most-nominated of the nominees, so it’s not like Roth is a titan amongst all the other names. Like you say, though, this is a kind of thin year, so they may go for Roth’s narrative, especially if not enough are watching Emma.

Part of this is just me trying to rationalise what strikes me as a fairly comfortable 5th placer in the category winning over the other four, so take it with a hearty pinch of salt, but the more I think about it the more I do genuinely see this category as a fair one to call an upset in if you’re looking to go against the grain somewhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I do genuinely see this category as a fair one to call an upset in if you’re looking to go against the grain somewhere.

I think this category out of the techs is the most likely to have an upset. I’m going to go with Ma Rainey still in case I get the alternative (Emma or Mulan) or wrong or Ma Rainey just wins this category. I would choose Mulan as the upset though.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I think this category out of the techs is the most likely to have an upset. I’m going to go with Ma Rainey still in case I get the alternative (Emma or Mulan) or wrong or Ma Rainey just wins this category. I would choose Mulan as the upset though.

Yeah I agree. Ma Rainey feels safer in Make-up/ Hair to me, although only slightly, and I also struggle to rationalise it there – I could see Pinocchio winning that, but I’m not predicting it. I don’t think there’s a firm favourite to ‘upset’ in Editing or Song, and Cinematography, Production Design, Sound, Score and Visual Effects all seem a fair bit safer to call.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

It helps that the costumes of Ma Rainey have the boldest use of colour among the remaining nominees. But if there is an upset here, we’ll all know why. I’m not brave enough to predict it though.

Agree with all your other points, but I think Emma has much bolder colours in its costumes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Of the techs, editing is making my teeth itch. Settled on Chi7, but that sound/editing combo is tew much to ignore re SOM.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

I have Sound of Metal predicted for Editing because it won BAFTA. They like showy as much as the Oscars and they still went with SoM. And the movie performed way better with Oscar nominations. Someone convince me to switch to Trial.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 361 through 367 (of 367 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.