Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 367 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
SN
JV
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    Sagand
    Topics:

I think The Father will probably win Screenplay and Editing at Bafta but Production Design seems a bridge too far.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Why editing when they love most-cuts at BAFTA?  Are you thinking that that metric will not apply since none of them has that many in general, relative to other years?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sagand
    Topics:

Why editing when they love most-cuts at BAFTA? Are you thinking that that metric will not apply since none of them has that many in general, relative to other years?

Pretty much, any of the winners (and many losers) of this category would be strong frontrunners in this field.

Trial may be the most showy; intercut sequences and moving about the timeline (SAG stunts!), but it’s still a court room drama. Bafta responses when the cuts gets turned up to 11, this is still at 7. I thought Sound of Metal would be more Whiplash before watching but it’s more of a character study. Nomadland and PYW both did the editing job effectively, without drawing attention to itself.

So in the end I think The Father is an easy tick off here, is the editing more showy? No, but is it brought front and centre in the mind by the nature of the film and I have less confidence than you in people differentiating between editing and structure.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

By the way, Chicago 7 is winning Editing at the Oscars. Deal with it Chicago 7 haters!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The protests and police brutality sequences in Trial will give the film the editing Oscar.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

The protests and police brutality sequences in Trial will give the film the editing Oscar.

This.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

If Chicago wins ACE, then yeah probably, but I’m not sold on it winning with no Sound nomination

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

If Chicago wins ACE, then yeah probably, but I’m not sold on it winning with no Sound nomination

And sole Editing winners almost never happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I’m currently predicting Chicago 7 to win ACE and BAFTA, and Sound of Metal to win the Oscar.

I think the membership will be lazy and will just vote because of Sound.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I don’t think Emma and Pinocchio are winning BAFTA. If that was the case, the British Academy would’ve nominated both movies for Production Design, Costume Design (Pinocchio) and/or Make Up (Emma), like the Academy did with Emma (Make Up) and Pinocchio (Costumes).

I’ve looked it up and it’s almost impossible to win Costume Design and Make Up at BAFTA without those categories. Jackie did, but it lost the Oscars for Fantastic Beasts, which had won Production Design at BAFTA and also had a random nomination for Sound (?) which showed support. Bombshell did for Make Up, but it had two acting nominations and swept the Make Up guild. The Iron Lady had the Streep transformation carrying it and more nominations than the amount it get at the Oscars.

I think The Dig will win Costume Design at BAFTA (The membership loved the movie considering the amount of nominations it had) and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom will win Hair and Make Up.

I’m not ruling out neither Emma or Pinocchio to upset at the Oscars, but if they do lose BAFTA then it will be hard for them to get momentum. And there’s Mank, which could win Costume Design at the Oscars, but missed Best Film and Best Sound at BAFTA, both categories it was expected to get, which indicates that they didn’t like the movie that much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

No matter what happens at the Oscars, Emma will absolutely win Costumes at BAFTA. I see no reason to doubt it there. Makeup o still don’t know what to do. I’m tempted to go with Pinocchio or even Hillbilly Elegy, but Ma Rainey’s feels kinda undeniable there. It’s not easy

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

No matter what happens at the Oscars, Emma will absolutely win Costumes at BAFTA. I see no reason to doubt it there. Makeup o still don’t know what to do. I’m tempted to go with Pinocchio or even Hillbilly Elegy, but Ma Rainey’s feels kinda undeniable there. It’s not easy

I don’t know about absolutely. Winners with only one nomination are rare in this category. There was no reason to not nominate it for Make Up over The Dig or Production Design over Rebecca. It even missed British Film but that category was juried.

It might win because of Byrne, but I don’t know.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

A British person will probably in one of the BAFTA tech categories so I have Mark Coulier winning make-up for Pinocchio while I have Ma Rainey winning costume. Emma could win for costume too but I don’t know.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 367 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.