Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 320 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
28 mins ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
SN
Eddy Q
JV
  • Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Emma. will not win Costumes at BAFTA. It disappointed with the shortlists and missed Production Design and Makeup. It won’t win the Oscar either. The Production Design nom was crucial there, since it’s not a BP nominee like Phantom Thread and Little Women.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mank coattails Costume Design.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Well I don’t know that Ma Rainey’s wins BAFTA with its poor performance there. I guess maybe Mank could? I just feel like they’ll default to British shit again

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

The Midnight Sky won Visual Effects at VES awards. Mank won Supporting Visual Effects.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Tenet just lost VFX Society Awards to The Midnight Sky.

Welcome to Chechnya might be the worst case of “Goldderby thing” in years. It just lost Supporting Effects to Mank at VFX Society Awards.

Effects Driven: The Midnight Sky
    Supporting Effects: Mank
    Animation: Soul
    Effects Driven TV: The Mandalorian
    Supporting Effects TV: The Crown

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The Midnight Sky won Visual Effects at VES awards. Mank won Supporting Visual Effects.

Still think Tenet is winning BAFTA and the Oscar

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

This will be the sixth time in seven years that the main VES winner loses the Oscar. They have become a death knell like the BAFTA Best Film award. The Oscars do not award the effects that are the technically best and BAFTA does only slightly more often.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

This will be the sixth time in seven years that the main VES winner loses the Oscar. They have become a death knell like the BAFTA Best Film award. The Oscars do not award the effects that are the technically best and BAFTA does only slightly more often.

1917 and First Man were in Supporting VFX, though. So this is not a perfect statement.

But I agree that whoever wins BAFTA will probably take this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

People are really predicting that Ma Rainey’s will win 4 out of the 5 Oscars nominated? I think it can take Costumes OR Make-Up, not both. And I can’t see someone watching Pinocchio and not giving that movie an Oscar. But again, foreign language movies winning Oscars without being hits is not a thing that happens often.

I would LOVE to see Byrne finally winning a second Oscar, but Ann Roth is a such a legend that see her winning a second first would be even greater.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

1917 and First Man were in Supporting VFX, though. So this is not a perfect statement.

1917 didn’t even win supporting VFX; that went to The Irishman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Regarding costume design, it might be worth mentioning that Brit Alexandra Byrne has yet to win a BAFTA. I don’t know if this will make any difference to the overall membership but I do know that this year seems particularly weak in terms of support for the films nominated in that category. Most recent winners were quite easy to call, regardless of whether they were nominated in production design, above-the-line or anywhere else.

Mank could double up in wins, but I don’t know if the costumes are gaining much traction. It might not help that the biggest showcase scenes for its costumes are also incredibly talky, distracting the mind from the wide array of outfits on display. Despite Emma. lacking any other BAFTA nominations, it’s still something that a lot of British voters will have watched and is an easy film to check off in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

People are really predicting that Ma Rainey’s will win 4 out of the 5 Oscars nominated? I think it can take Costumes OR Make-Up, not both. And I can’t see someone watching Pinocchio and not giving that movie an Oscar. But again, foreign language movies winning Oscars without being hits is not a thing that happens often. I would LOVE to see Byrne finally winning a second Oscar, but Ann Roth is a such a legend that see her winning a second first would be even greater.

I have the same feeling. I’ve been doubtful of that movie’s crafts wins potential since nominations. Seems like it’ll get Makeup, but they may just say “oooh those pretty dresses in Emma” cause you know non-costume designers think that way. Even three seems like a stretch tbh, if The Great Gatsby and Blade Runner 2049 couldn’t win more than two, then why would Ma Rainey’s?

#StopAsianHate

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

They only win whenever they also win BAFTA. So if Midnight Sky wins there, I’ll predict it. Otherwise, I think it’s Tenet’s to lose

#StopAsianHate

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Yiploo
    Topics:

Ma Rainy’s Black Bottom potentially go 5 for 5 at the Oscars?

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Two-Time Academy Award Winner Viola Davis.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Ma Rainy’s Black Bottom potentially go 5 for 5 at the Oscars?

There is absolutely no way Mank loses Production Design. Doesn’t matter how many people aren’t fans of the movie, it has swept literally almost every single production design award with both critics and industry. It’s up with Zhao in Director and Boseman in Actor as the top 3 biggest locks of the evening

#StopAsianHate

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

1917 didn’t even win supporting VFX; that went to The Irishman.

Oh true. I didn’t remember that.

It should’ve won the Oscar as well.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 320 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.