Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 188 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Eddy Q
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is there really a rule preventing the director’s editing from being submitted or was this a decision made by the studio? Either way, after last year I will never underestimate the importance of an Editing nod again. Hope this doesn’t backfire.

It does appear that way. Roma didn’t have an editing nod.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I don’t know if there’s an actual rule preventing it or not–directors have been nominated for editing their own films but only grouped with other editors–but if there is it seems a bit unfair as Zhao is credited as editor, it’s not like the Phantom Thread situation in cinematography where there was no credited DP and thus no one to nominate.

That said, this could weirdly help Nomadland. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see the film snubbed for an editing nomination anyway, but if it’s not eligible at all then it’s saved from that particular handicap in terms of winning Best Picture.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

It does appear that way. Roma didn’t have an editing nod.

Roma was eligible though. It was nominated at ACE and most thought it would get in at the Oscars. Adam Gough was co-editor along with Alfonso Cuarón.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

According to Indiewire, Chloé Zhao’s editing of Nomadland is not in the running.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/oscars-2021-best-editing-predictions-1234598218/

False report. Nomadland still in contention for editing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Zendaya apparently done her own hair and makeup for M&M, assuming that she and JDW are the only two cast members, she would be a nominee for Makeup & Hairstyling?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    galaxy98
    Topics:

Can Pieces of A Woman sneak into the cinematography category?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Can Pieces of A Woman sneak into the cinematography category?

Not exactly a response but above the line I personally wouldn’t nominate Pieces of a Woman in anything apart from Actress and S. Actress but my gosh it’s cinematography is beautiful and would thoroughly deserve a nomination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUTUnWVBvsY

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

According to Indiewire, Chloé Zhao’s editing of Nomadland is not in the running.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/oscars-2021-best-editing-predictions-1234598218/

thats just some dudes predictions. I’m pretty confident One Night isnt happening in that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

If Judas and the Black Messiah is in for Picture, then it’s a lock for cinematography.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    deaetee
    Topics:

Does anyone know of Possessor is in the race for Best Makeup? I really think it deserves at least a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Justmimusicmon
    Topics:

False report. Nomadland still in contention for editing.

I figured it would be..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Looks like Netflix is pushing Pieces of a Woman in cinematography.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a35138292/pieces-of-a-woman-birth-scene-single-shot/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Looks like Netflix is pushing Pieces of a Woman in cinematography.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a35138292/pieces-of-a-woman-birth-scene-single-shot/

Deservedly so! It should definitely be a contender. It had some quite impressive shots, not only that birth scene oner.

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    smurty11
    Topics:

I wish more people would talk about Jingle Jangle seriously for Costumes and Production Design as well as Tiger Tail for Cinematography. Those deserve a shout out.

I’m sick of higher profile movies with good crafts overshadow some really great achievements, even if that movie doesn’t have a chance in the picture, director, acting, writing races.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Looks like Netflix is pushing Pieces of a Woman in cinematography.

If anything this sort of thing leads me to believe it’s more of a dark horse in directing than cinematography. Long takes in themselves aren’t usually enough to get recognition from the cinematographers branch, whose members tend to look for complex lighting setups or chiaroscuro; Pieces lacks that in comparison to what the branch usually nominates. The execution of the blocking in both the long-take scenes, the handling of the actors as well as the sheer directorial stamina involved could, however, impress members of the directors branch, despite some mixed reviews for the film.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.