Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 289 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Eddy Q
  • Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The cinematography in The World to Come looks great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I do wonder if The World to Come might steal Ammonite’s thunder as the big sapphic period drama (in the craft categories of course because neither Ronan or Kirby and neither Winslet or Waterston are getting acting nominations when one of their films is a flop and the other has a crappy distributor).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

We’ve seen directors such as Pawel Pawlikowski and Julian Schnabel make it on the quality of their film’s direction even though their films popped up nowhere else above the line in nominations.

Schnabel’s film actually got a screenplay nom (same writer as The Pianist interestingly enough) and with its PGA nod was probably in 6th for Best Picture. But your overall point is good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ah my bad I had no idea his film got a Screenplay nod.

But still it’s not as if a nomination for Mundruczo would happen without a nomination for Kirby and Burstyn.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Change of topic but can anyone who’s seen The Father tell me if they think it has any chance in Production Design? There was a Variety Feature on it recently and it looked impressive but it’s very rare these days for contemporary films without sci-fi or fantasy elements to be nominated in this category; Parasite was an exception.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If The Father ends up being a big contender then it will most definitely get nominated for its unconventional Production Design like Parasite. Whilst its production design isn’t as flashy as Parasite‘s it complements the narrative journey of Hopkins’ character (best way of me putting that into words even though it’s a bit of a messy description haha) so I can see it coat-tailing. SPC seem to be pushing for its production design a lot too (arguably on the same level they’re pushing Hopkins and Colman).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    smurty11
    Topics:

New Original Song contender from Netflix’s The White Tiger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGUYPAUytTo&ab_channel=DIVINE-Topic

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The Art Of Craft: ‘The United States Vs. Billie Holiday’ Costume Designer Paolo Nieddu Sculpts His Own Version Of Legendary Blues Singer

https://deadline.com/2021/01/the-united-states-vs-billie-holiday-costume-designer-paolo-nieddu-hulu-the-art-of-craft-interview-1234672291/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Oscar Music Eligibility Lists Revealed

Soul is eligible (with Jon Batiste)

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, One Night in Miami and Judas and the Black Messiah are ineligible

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Oscar Music Eligibility Lists Revealed

Soul is eligible (with Jon Batiste)

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, One Night in Miami and Judas and the Black Messiah are ineligible

Great news for Soul!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Moonshadow
    Topics:

Has anyone seen the full list of eligible scores or songs?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I’m glad that Soul is still in contention, and that Jon Batiste seems to be eligible for the nom along with Reznor and Ross, but the outruling of Ma Rainey is very unfair, I think. There is quite a substantial amount of original score there, and much of it very good. It should be obvious to anyone that the Ma Rainey song numbers are not part of the score, but annoyingly the music branch has this arbitrary 80% rule mostly because they don’t trust the general Academy membership to know what they’re doing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

I’m surprised that Mank‘s original song “(If Only You Could) Save Me” is disqualified. It was quite obscure in the film, so it was probably a bit of a long shot, but it was a very good song. Even though I wasn’t nearly as much of a fan of Mank as others here, I’ll most likely be including the song on my Gold Derby Awards ballot…

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I’m surprised that Mank‘s original song “(If Only You Could) Save Me” is disqualified. It was quite obscure in the film, so it was probably a bit of a long shot, but it was a very good song.

The song was good (and allowed the singer to show off an extensive vocal range) but ultimately I don’t think it’s fair for heavily obscured songs that are not properly showcased in the film to get nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Noe
    Topics:

If it was eligible, the Makeup and Hairstyling and Costume Design oscars would belong to Black Is King.

Also could be competitive in Production Design and Cinematography.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 289 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.