Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 499 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
SN
Eddy Q
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Tenet missing Sound Mixing is not a surprise. That is literally one of the most common complaints about it. However there is no Sound Mixing category a the Oscars now so dont really see how that plays out.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

lol Soul coming in HOT. Is it gonna win VFX as well? But dont worry folks. It’s not going to get BP.

Soul is NOT going to win VFX. Nothing about these nominations would indicate that since it didn’t beat any of its competition from the live action side (by default, because they compete in different categories).

Some of the nominations are hilarious. The de-aging in Da 5 Bloods was ridiculously bad, and they really nominated that awful kangaroo from the trashy Känguru Chroniken movie. Absolutely hysterical.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Set Decorators Society of America (SDSA)

Best Achievement in Décor/Design of a Contemporary Feature Film

Da 5 Bloods
    Hillbilly Elegy
    I’m Thinking of Ending Things
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

Best Achievement in Décor/Design of a Period Feature Film

Emma.
    Mank
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    News of the World
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

Best Achievement in Décor/Design of a Science Fiction or Fantasy Feature Film

The Midnight Sky
    Palm Springs
    The Witches
    Tenet
    Wonder Woman 1984

Best Achievement in Décor/Design of a Comedy or Musical Feature Film

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    Dolittle
    Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
    The King of Staten Island
    The Prom

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Promising Young Woman continues to slay

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

The de-aging in Da 5 Bloods was ridiculously bad

I wasn’t aware there was any de-aging? I thought that was the whole point, it was a conscious decision on Spike Lee’s part not to de-age his castmembers in the flashbacks.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Soul is NOT going to win VFX. Nothing about these nominations would indicate that since it didn’t beat any of its competition from the live action side (by default, because they compete in different categories).

Some of the nominations are hilarious. The de-aging in Da 5 Bloods was ridiculously bad, and they really nominated that awful kangaroo from the trashy Känguru Chroniken movie. Absolutely hysterical.

Looking forward to bringing back this post like the PYW stand declaring Mulligan was gonna win GG lol

Profile picture
    Ruby Sparks
    Topics:

Soul literally led the VES nomination count with 5 nominations, and it’s one of 10 movies on the VFX shortlist. I don’t know if it’s winning, but this is a good sign it could be nominated.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I’m predicting Soul to be nominated for VFX, but there’s no fucking way it’s winning.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Tenet winning VFX is the biggest lock of the year. No other film even stands the slightest bit of a chance at beating Tenet in VFX.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

Tenet winning VFX is the biggest lock of the year. No other film even stands the slightest bit of a chance at beating Tenet in VFX.

I still have The Midnight Sky out front – haven’t seen any reason to change it.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I’m predicting Soul to be nominated for VFX, but there’s no fucking way it’s winning.

Exactly. Right now I don’t have it in (I think Welcome to Chechnya has the superior narrative) but I can see it getting in. However its domination at the VES doesn’t mean a lot when there were barely five animated features this year that didn’t look like shit. I mean, what should have taken its place in any of these categories, Earwig and the Witch or what? It definitely won’t dominate when it competes against Tenet, The Midnight Sky etc. I mean, Onward got exactly one less nomination and that obviously didn’t make the shortlist. I don’t see a reason why getting five nominations in a field with zero competition should mean anything when there will quite some competition at the Oscars. Some people don’t make the slightest sense.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I wasn’t aware there was any de-aging? I thought that was the whole point, it was a conscious decision on Spike Lee’s part not to de-age his castmembers in the flashbacks.

Am I confusing it with something else then? I was absolutely sure that there was at least one wonky CGI shot with digitally superimposed faces? If that’s untrue, shut my mouth.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I still have The Midnight Sky out front – haven’t seen any reason to change it.

I doubt The Midnigjt Sky wins anything with how awful it’s reviews are.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I doubt The Midnigjt Sky wins anything with how awful it’s reviews are.

Its reviews weren’t all that awful; in fact it’s only three points away from a green score on Metacritic. Besides, films with same level or worse reviews have won Best Visual Effects before (The Golden Compass, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, What Dreams May Come). Tenet could easily win but that film is also disliked by many. I don’t think it’s as strong as Inception and Interstellar were in this race. Mank could also win à la 1917 with its ‘invisible’ effects and support across the board — assuming it’s nominated first, of course.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I can see Welcome to Chechnya winning a la Ex Machina. It’s a lock to be nominated.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories’ is closed to new replies.