Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 397 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Manav
babypook
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    TheLordMan
    Topics:

Diane needs to land a bond theme, the safest and easiest way to win a Oscar theses days

Only for the Craig films.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Diane needs a disney song or a bond song she would sweep

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    espnfan
    Topics:

Similar to drinking spoiled milk or really flat beer, this past Oscar ceremony has left a bad taste in my mouth, and I unfortunately cannot get it out. Even a week later, I am beyond disappointed and saddened by the 2022 Oscars. Regardless of the “Incident”, this was one of the worst Oscar ceremonies I have ever seen.

Despite trying to give the producers and ABC the benefit of the doubt, everything I was afraid might happen came to pass. This past ceremony felt like an awkward mix of the People’s Choice Awards, the Teen Choice Awards, the Grammy Awards, and the ESPY Awards, with a mere pinch of Oscar prestige thrown in (unfortunately to no avail).

The Academy and ABC have lost their way when it comes to airing the Oscars. By trying to appeal to everyone, they ended up satisfying no one. One of my biggest complaints is the tone of the show was all over the place. Whether it was hour to hour, or even commercial break to commercial break, it felt like I was watching completely different shows. Maybe the worst example was Regina Hall being made into a desperate spinster groping on presenters and then proceeding to honor a living legend in Francis Ford Coppola later on. How in the world do both of those things fit into the same show?

Not to mention the other supposed “tribute” to James Bond was once again terrible. As I said in another thread, if you are going to do a tribute, do a proper one that truly honors the intended recipient. Anything else is not only a waste of time, but borderline disrespectful. Not to mention this was the second lame Bond tribute they have had this past decade.

I did not mind them trying to shorten the show by presenting various awards earlier. But the way they went about it during the broadcast was all wrong. I thought they were going to do one segment honoring those winners, similar to how they used to highlight the sci-tech awards (speaking of, did they even do that this year). Instead of highlighting the earlier winners, it felt like they shoehorned the winners into the program. At times I honestly could not tell which awards were live and which were pre-taped. The way they went about this came off as disrespectful and just in poor taste. And to add insult to injury, the show was actually longer than last year, almost a staggering four hours.

Sorry for the long post, but I am truly saddened and disappointed to see the Oscars come to this. If the Oscars want to continue on and survive long term, they need to figure out who they are. Whether it be a show focused on ratings, entertainment, and viral moments, or a prestige affair to honor Hollywood and film history, make a choice. The Oscars simply cannot go on as they currently are. If they continue to do so, I fear there will no longer be an Oscar telecast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Go Yeoh!
    Topics:

Grammy’s had half the ratings as Oscar.

Maybe ABC needs to stop appealing to the youth and stick to making a good show rooted it the art of film-making. People will watch if they want to watch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

https://www.avclub.com/2022-grammy-ratings-lower-than-the-oscars-1848748073

We noted when the Oscar ratings came out that dramatic, controversial ceremonies don’t necessarily translate to good ratings the next year, but it doesn’t seem strange to think that maybe a straightforward, mostly inoffensive ceremony like last night’s Grammys might convince more people to tune in next year. If the Oscars have a history of being a shitshow, and the Grammys have a history of being a pretty good time, maybe there will be a shift at some point where Music’s Biggest Night becomes more of a cultural event than the Oscars… but only in the sense that nobody is watching either of them anymore.

FYC
    Best Picture: "Showing Up" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Kelly Reichardt; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Michelle Williams; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Hong Chau, Heather Lawless, Amanda Plummer; Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch, Andre Benjamin, John Magaro; Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Kelly Reichardt, Jonathan Raymond
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

The Hollywood Reporter:

Oscar-Winning Iranian Director Asghar Farhadi Found Guilty of Plagiarizing Idea for ‘A Hero’: An Iran court found the celebrated filmmaker based his new movie on a documentary made by one of his film students.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    VictorVincent
    Topics:

The Hollywood Reporter:

Oscar-Winning Iranian Director Asghar Farhadi Found Guilty of Plagiarizing Idea for ‘A Hero’: An Iran court found the celebrated filmmaker based his new movie on a documentary made by one of his film students.

Wow.
    Would the Academy weigh in on this? Or do they care that something is found to be plagiarised after the fact? (After winning the Oscar).
    I guess if he gave the student credit as in “Story by” or “inspired by”; everything would have been fine.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

Omg off a student? A bit sketchy…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Would the Academy weigh in on this?

Actually the Academy would have no worries to do anything because A Hero wasn’t nominated for any Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    VictorVincent
    Topics:

Actually the Academy would have no worries to do anything because A Hero wasn’t nominated for any Oscars.

🙂
    Oh, So he won for something else before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

🙂
    Oh, So he won for something else before.

Yes he did.
    He won International Feature Film twice – for A Separation in 2012 and for A Salesman in 2017.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    VictorVincent
    Topics:

Yes he did.
    He won International Feature Film twice – for A Separation in 2012 and for A Salesman in 2017.

I thought it was him🙂

I remember hearing a lot about A Seperation back then, but can’t remember watching either😶

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

The Farhadi trial might be the stupidest thing, maybe ever? If A Hero wasn’t critical against Iranian law, he wouldn’t have lost.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luke Dias
    Topics:

Have not seen CODA, but trying to be positive for a change: my favorite thing about the ceremony was the overall support for the film. Having all the actors wave in lieu of clapping every time it won was pretty wholesome, and Troy Kotsur gave what was easily the best speech of the night.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

The Hollywood Reporter: Oscar-Winning Iranian Director Asghar Farhadi Found Guilty of Plagiarizing Idea for ‘A Hero’: An Iran court found the celebrated filmmaker based his new movie on a documentary made by one of his film students.

The headline and article have been updated and a correction issued – he has been indicted, not found guilty. Indictment is one early step in court proceedings.

Oscar-Winning Iranian Director Asghar Farhadi Indicted on Plagiarizing Charges for ‘A Hero’

An earlier version of this story wrongly claimed that Farhadi had been found guilty of plagiarism. 

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 397 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.