Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022: Cinematography

Oscars 2022: Cinematography

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
replies
views
users
Jacob "Oscar ..
Richie Rich
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Hey everyone,

Cinematography is one of my favorite categories at the Oscars, and there are a quite a few worthy contenders this year. What are your (early) nominee predictions? Mine are:

1. The Power of the DogWinner
    2. The French Dispatch
    3. The Tragedy of Macbeth
    4. West Side Story
    5. No Time to Die

——

6. Dune
    7. Belfast
    8. Nightmare Alley
    9. The Hand of God
    10. Spencer

Possibilites:
    Last Night in Soho
    The Survivor
    The Electrical Life of Louis Wain

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

Hey everyone, Cinematography is one of my favorite categories at the Oscars, and there are a quite a few worthy contenders this year. What are your (early) nominee predictions? Mine are: 1. The Power of the DogWinner 2. The French Dispatch 3. The Tragedy of Macbeth 4. West Side Story 5. No Time to Die —— 6. Dune 7. Belfast 8. Nightmare Alley 9. The Hand of God 10. Spencer Possibilites: Last Night in Soho The Survivor The Electrical Life of Louis Wain

Swap out No Time To Die for Dune and swap out The Tragedy of Macbeth for Belfast and we’re talking.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Dune has this. And all other techs. And Picture/Director. Take it to the bank. Dune is coming. Tik Tok.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

There is nothing remotely interesting about the Belfast stills we have seen. Foreground is bland and shot composition is uninspiring. Black and White filter hardly adds anything. Literally looks like it was shot with an iPhone X especially amplified with the shots being focused on people just smiling with a black and white filter on it.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

There is nothing remotely interesting about the Belfast stills we have seen. Foreground is bland and shot composition is uninspiring. Black and White filter hardly adds anything. Literally looks like it was shot with an iPhone X especially amplified with the shots being focused on people just smiling with a black and white filter on it.

But we haven’t seen much tbf

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Swap out No Time To Die for Dune and swap out The Tragedy of Macbeth for Belfast and we’re talking.

I could be completely off track, but I don’t feel as confident in Dune as others are. Yes, the cinematography does look good and could win a la Blade Runner 2049, but I’ll wait for the critical response first. With No Time to Die, Linus Sandgren is a past winner (La La Land) and from what I’ve seen so far, there are some exceptionally beautiful shots. It’s a toss-up. The next few weeks will narrow it down.

Regarding Macbeth vs. Belfast, what made me pick the former was this one quote from an IndieWire article:

Coen has described his black and white film, as a “tick-tock” thriller, which incorporates elements of German Expressionism

Still, it’s too early to say for certain, but I currently have more confidence in Macbeth for the techs than Belfast. But who knows!

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

I would include Nightmare Alley over No Time to Die, personally. Not sure how I’d rank it, but if French Dispatch isn’t a bigger general player that could hurt its chances.

The cinematography in the Dune trailer looks a bit bland, unspecial, but maybe the end result could be better.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

This seems to be the most competitive category.

Watch out for Eternals.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

This seems to be the most competitive category. Watch out for Eternals.

This and Adapted Screenplay.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

I find this much more fun than predicting the acting categories at this stage:

Dune – Greig Fraser
    The French Dispatch – Robert Yeoman
    Passing – Eduard Grau
    The Power of the Dog – Ari Wegner
    The Tragedy of Macbeth – Bruno Delbonnel

This leans more heavily towards black-and-white than usual (this includes parts of The French Dispatch) but it seems a plausible lineup to me. I’m reasonably confident in Delbonnel even if Coen’s version of Macbeth gains no traction elsewhere, including acting categories. The branch loves him, even nominating him for a Harry Potter movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I’m thinking Dune and The French Dispatch are locked. I hate using that term, but they just seem undeniable, given that no matter what they’ll be getting other tech noms too, and that they could get above-the-line nominations. Just because I think they’re getting nominated doesn’t mean I think they’ll necessarily get the win, though – that’s more up in the air.

Next up is The Power of the Dog and West Side Story. They both look absolutely beautiful, it really just matters if the former has enough color contrast and if the latter has enough movement.

The last slight I’d give to Nightmare Alley or No Time to Die. It really depends on if the latter is a player in anything else like Sound or Visual Effects. If not, then I’d go with the former.

Lower tier contenders are The Hand of God (could easily be in if the movie breaks out with above-the-line nominations), Spencer (which is guaranteed at least another technical nomination in Costume Design at this point), and Last Night in Soho (a possibility).

I really don’t see The Tragedy of Macbeth or Belfast being nominated for some reason. Maybe it’s because we already have some black-and-white in TFD, maybe it’s because I just don’t think they’re too strong, but they are definitely low for me.

Emmys FYC:

Comedy Series - Abbott Elementary, Atlanta, Barry, The Great, Hacks, Only Murders in the Building, Reservation Dogs, Ted Lasso, What We Do in the Shadows

Drama Series - Better Call Saul, Ozark, Pachinko, Severance, Squid Game, Stranger Things, Succession, This Is Us, Yellowjackets

Limited Series - Station Eleven

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I take it none of you have seen The Green Knight then?

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

I take it none of you have seen The Green Knight then?

No one will remember the Green Knight come the time to vote for the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.