Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022: Documentary Feature

Oscars 2022: Documentary Feature

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
JV
String Cheese..
Natalegend
  • Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

– Ascension

– Attica

– Billie Eilish: The World’s a Little Blurry

– Faya Dayi

– The First Wave

– Flee

– In the Same Breath

– Julia

– President

– Procession

– The Rescue

– Simple as Water

– Summer of Soul (…Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)

– The Velvet Underground

– Writing with Fire

Best Supporting Actress - Kathryn Hunter, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Judi Dench, Ruth Negga
    Best Supporting Actor - Troy Katsur, Ciarán Hinds, Alex Hassell, Bertie Carvel
    Best Actress - Tessa Thompson
    The Tragedy of Macbeth in Directing, Production Design, Cinematography and thee Kathryn Hunter
    Mass in Original Screenplay, Passing in Adapted Screenplay

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

The Rescue is probably winning. Straight up by the numbers documentary, but it’s emotional, exciting and a tear jerker covering a truly impressive real life story that affected the zeitgeist.

Flee has enough momentum and passion to get nominated, but genre bias may be high enough for it to win.

However, it’s easier to tell which one will NOT get nominated: Julia won’t get in (Archived footage and biographical), and the music documentaries (although Summer of Soul has a powerful subject matter that could be enough for voters to vote).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

I was shocked at how low energy and clumsily constructed The Rescue is. This from the guy who made Meru (best doc of 2015!) and Free Solo. It felt like someone else entirely.

Before seeing it, I also thought it would easily win this year, but since then I’ve had doubts. I didn’t care for Summer of Soul either, but I can see voters having a more emotional connection to it, along with Questlove personally campaigning giving it an advantage. He has lots of industry connections. High chance of people just blind voting him, it’s not like voters actually watch all the nominees in this category, or any of them at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Cross posted from another thread:

I watched The Rescue which even though we know how it panned out, still managed to be completely gripping. I had a couple of issues with the Eurocentrism but I also get it. And it would have been nice if they had been able to interview any of the kids but obviously there are ethical and access issues with that, so sufficed with the montage of happy clips at the end. Honestly the footage and inside access was just bonkers.

To add: There is a disclaimer at the end that some of the footage was recreated but one can only guess at which clips those are. I’m thinking about whether knowing this compromises its impact in any way.

Seen: The Rescue

Best Supporting Actress - Kathryn Hunter, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Judi Dench, Ruth Negga
    The Tragedy of Macbeth in Directing, Production Design, Cinematography and thee Kathryn Hunter

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Natalegend
    Topics:

Do we think the documentary branch is going to snub the frontrunner: Summer of Soul? Cause they’ve been doing that in the past few years, as we know.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bohemian Bovine
    Topics:

Do we think the documentary branch is going to snub the frontrunner: Summer of Soul? Cause they’ve been doing that in the past few years, as we know.

Anything’s possible.

The branch has also been known to snub documentaries that largely consist of found-footage.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

On-paper it fits in line with past popular/populist snubs but this one does have more passionate critics accolades than those did, so that might give it some higher brow appeal that keeps it safe. The Rescue is another that seems like it could win if nominated, though the latter isn’t necessarily secure. Or maybe Procession is the more unconventional critic-approved pick like Dick Johnson is Dead that gets left out at the end of the day.

This category really is one of the toughest to predict, there’s only a few shortlist options I don’t see getting nominated (like the Billie Eilish one lol, though good for her Song winning chances I guess). I have Flee at #1, but there’s even a precedent to snub that in Waltz with Bashir (that wasn’t pushed as strongly here, but you can even compare it to its Animated snub).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

Eligible Docs with both PGA & IDA Noms:

• Flee
    • In The Same Breath
    • Summer of Soul
    • Writing With Fire

Letterboxd: Brayfers

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

The Velvet Underground. Like many documentaries about artists and change movements, it’s nearly impossible to cram any substantive meaning into a 2 hour film. TVU suffers from brevity, because I didn’t really feel a chance to connect. It is an art piece of sorts. Lots of flashing clips (presumably Warhol but never quite explained) on a split screen in keeping with the subject, and some parts far more interesting than others.

There is no arc aside from straightforward chronology, so it kind of ambles through without any signposting. You are left trying to establish whether Thing A has any connection or causation with Thing B, or if we’ve just moved on. The talking heads aren’t much help as we don’t really know who they are, so I was on Wikipedia the entire time trying to figure out who e.g. Mary Woronov is and why I should care what she has to say.

We never see the band creating music and don’t really come away from it knowing how the music was written and recorded in the studio, or how it felt to be in the band. How did Maureen feel about being a woman drummer and icon? How did Lou feel about the business side of the music industry? No idea.

The most interesting parts for me were the early development of the avant-garde drone art-music scene, and the NYC vs west coast piece on how the art student nihilists felt about hippies. But what did they think about everything else? What drove their art?

Also the sound was bollocks. I kept having to jam the remote control up and down between the spliced music and the interviews.

Seen: The Velvet Underground, The Rescue 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

On-paper it fits in line with past popular/populist snubs but this one does have more passionate critics accolades than those did, so that might give it some higher brow appeal that keeps it safe. The Rescue is another that seems like it could win if nominated, though the latter isn’t necessarily secure. Or maybe Procession is the more unconventional critic-approved pick like Dick Johnson is Dead that gets left out at the end of the day.

This category really is one of the toughest to predict, there’s only a few shortlist options I don’t see getting nominated (like the Billie Eilish one lol, though good for her Song winning chances I guess). I have Flee at #1, but there’s even a precedent to snub that in Waltz with Bashir (that wasn’t pushed as strongly here, but you can even compare it to its Animated snub).

Waltz with Bashir wasn’t eligible for Documentary

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

The Rescue was great up until the very end where they played this awful sappy song. Why do people have to ruin their films with obnoxious music choices?

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    A HERO:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Amir Jadidi)
    - Best International Feature

NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

RIDERS OF JUSTICE:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Actor (Mads Mikkelsen)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Nicolas Bro)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

I think Summer of Soul gets the win

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.