Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022: Documentary Feature

Oscars 2022: Documentary Feature

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Atypical
String Cheese..
Owl-Always-wa..
  • Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

I’m rooting for “Flee”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

“Summer of Soul”: Incredible musical performances throughout, but that should have been expected. It’s a thrilling time-capsule-discovery type of documentary that I routinely adore. Academy voters in the past have proven to be fickle when it comes to archival footage/”talking heads” docs, and particularly musical subjects, so focusing on the artists and societal impact was a savvy move. I’m intently curious about the reasons surrounding the footage being suppressed for 50 years and the process of recovering this forgotten concert series in order to make the current film. Another type of filmmaker might have focused on that aspect as much, or maybe more than, the actual music, but that’s clearly not Questlove’s intention or passion. Excellent directorial debut all the same, and I’ll applaud his pending Oscar victory.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

“Summer of Soul”: Incredible musical performances throughout, but that should have been expected. It’s a thrilling time-capsule-discovery type of documentary that I routinely adore. Academy voters in the past have proven to be fickle when it comes to archival footage/”talking heads” docs, and particularly musical subjects, so focusing on the artists and societal impact was a savvy move. I’m intently curious about the reasons surrounding the footage being suppressed for 50 years and the process of recovering this forgotten concert series in order to make the current film. Another type of filmmaker might have focused on that aspect as much, or maybe more than, the actual music, but that’s clearly not Questlove’s intention or passion. Excellent directorial debut all the same, and I’ll applaud his pending Oscar victory.

I don’t think the footage was “suppressed” (that sounds conspiratorial), apparently it was just lost in a basement unknown. You know, like how the Get Back tapes were.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I don’t think the footage was “suppressed” (that sounds conspiratorial), apparently it was just lost in a basement unknown. You know, like how the Get Back tapes were.

The point was I wished the doc went into greater detail about that side of the story–what happened with the tapes, why no one wanted them, whatever was the case surrounding them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

The point was I wished the doc went into greater detail about that side of the story–what happened with the tapes, why no one wanted them, whatever was the case surrounding them.

Footage isn’t the only way the broader public would know about the event. Another question is if/why attendees, performers and organisers ever talked about it in the ensuing years, whether it became lore within the community or was just forgotten by the community itself? There are many events we know about that we’ve not seen footage of. The reason why SoS works is because it uses the footage as a backdrop to talk about broader things in Black culture. But the fact of the footage being lost is not the main reason we’ve never heard of this event, and isn’t really all that noteworthy imo.

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Footage isn’t the only way the broader public would know about the event. Another question is if/why attendees, performers and organisers ever talked about it in the ensuing years, whether it became lore within the community or was just forgotten by the community itself? There are many events we know about that we’ve not seen footage of. The reason why SoS works is because it uses the footage as a backdrop to talk about broader things in Black culture. But the fact of the footage being lost is not the main reason we’ve never heard of this event, and isn’t really all that noteworthy imo.

Like I said, it was a notable element missing FOR ME. Maybe that could have been explored in a longer treatment, like a limited series. I mentioned earlier that this probably wasn’t the focus that Questlove intended, as the musical performances and historical context took center stage, which is fine.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Alberto Pena
    Topics:

Will Writing with Fire be available to watch prior to the Oscars? According to Apple TV and Vudu, it is being released digitally March 29 – two days after the awards. It’s the last documentary I need to watch to complete the category. Does anyone know if it will be made available on demand prior to March 27? Thanks!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Flee,’ ‘Summer of Soul’ Top IDA Documentary Awards

In which we are no closer to knowing which of Flee or Summer of Soul will get up. Flee is not nominated at DGA (eligibility?) so roll on PGA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Academy Panels Roundtable: DOCUMENTARY FEATURE NOMINEES

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

The fact that the rescue (an amazing nail bitting documentary) and the alpinist (very similar to free solo) didnt get an oscar nom is so annoying to me

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Fernández Sellés
    Topics:

I hope Attica

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Just watched Faya Dayi. What an incredible Documentary. Such a shame it’s not nominated. It’s not your typical Doc but it’s extremely immersive. I was hooked the entire time. The black and wite Cinematography was extremely beautiful. It’s probably my fav doc out of the ones I’ve seen so far, this year. If anyone has any recommendations of Docs in this line, I would really appreciate it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cinetastic
    Topics:

I can’t decide between Flee or Summer of Soul. Stats indicate Summer of Soul, secret ballots indicate both and my heart indicates Flee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.