Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022: Original Screenplay and Adapted Screenplay (Part 2)

Oscars 2022: Original Screenplay and Adapted Screenplay (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 346 through 357 (of 357 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
estrelas
crabbie
Lucas
  • Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Lmao sorry but I told y’all, Belfast became more obvious after WGA. A lot of you guys tried it with the “Branagh lost with his homeland!” excuse, it was clear BAFTA stanned LP more than anyone else did. I think DLU was 2nd.

So it would have won wga if it was eligible I think so or it pulled out a birdman ?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

So Belfast pulled off an imitation game l think , it would have won wga if it was eligible

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

both Screenplay wins were the worst of the night

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

In hindsight I think Belfast‘s win is very explicable. Just like with McDormand in actress last year the biggest Best Picture contender took advantage of having the most consensus in a split open race. What is interesting though is how the original screenplay race ended up being so split open after Licorice Pizza won at BAFTA (even as Belfast still performed very well in nominations there). Was this just The Theory of Everything vs The Imitation Game all over again where the British Academy disproportionately favoured the former over the latter and the AMPAS did the opposite or did the resurfacing of the racism controversy in Licorice Pizza during voting hinder its chances?

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

Belfast is not winning screenplay. It literally lost every single guild. Like it or not Don’t Look Up is winning. It fits the mold of recent winners

I ate my humble pie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

both Screenplay wins were the worst of the night

One of the worst screenplay combo wins ever.

About Licorice Pizza, it seems it had critics and BAFTA support, but no so much from the guilds and AMPAS. It was liked well enough to get noms, but it didn’t have enough passion to get wins.

Also, I think PTA is suffering from something similar to Glenn Close. He is not only competing to other 4 candidates, but also to himself and his past work (which is great). I think that if he doesn’t come with another TWBB with that type of reception, he will have trouble winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I ate my humble pie.

You’re not alone. Eating crow right now. 💀

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

CODA’s screenplay reminded me a tad of the plebian JUNO. I can’t criticize it beyond that because we’ve all seen a version of it before.
    Branagh didn’t have Shakespeare’s revisionist play as a template this time nor Hans Christian Anderson and so here he is writing a memoir. I picked him to win but not because of anything exemplary.

CODA was an easy pick. Belfast not so much.
    NETWORK these weren’t.

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Given Brangh’s (arguably overdue) win, curious to see other acting + directing nominees in the last 40 years:

George Clooney (last acting nom 2011, last directing nom 2005) – ACTING winner on 1st nominated film

Clint Eastwood (2004, 2006) – DIRECTING winner on 1st nominated film

Robert Benigni (1998, 1998) – ACTING winner on 1st nominated film

Tim Robbins (2003, 1995) – ACTING winner on 2nd nominated film

Kevin Costner (1990, 1990) – DIRECTING winner on 1st nominated film

This century it’s only been Clooney/Eastwood/Branagh widely liked enough to be embraced by both actors and directors. Recent history makes the Belfast win make a lot more sense, esp given this is his 5th ceremony as a nominee; regardless of one’s personal opinion of his talent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Given Brangh’s (arguably overdue) win, curious to see other acting + directing nominees in the last 40 years: George Clooney (last acting nom 2011, last directing nom 2005) – ACTING winner on 1st nominated film Clint Eastwood (2004, 2006) – DIRECTING winner on 1st nominated film Robert Benigni (1998, 1998) – ACTING winner on 1st nominated film Tim Robbins (2003, 1995) – ACTING winner on 2nd nominated film Kevin Costner (1990, 1990) – DIRECTING winner on 1st nominated film This century it’s only been Clooney/Eastwood/Branagh widely liked enough to be embraced by both actors and directors. Recent history makes the Belfast win make a lot more sense, esp given this is his 5th ceremony as a nominee; regardless of one’s personal opinion of his talent.

It helped him that licorice pizza underpeformed at ampas and dlu being divisive so the academy went for the safe choice

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Fernández Sellés
    Topics:

Sian Heder > Paul Thomas Anderson

Hohoho. Quota gender agenda.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Fernández Sellés
    Topics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y77FELZaE6c

This forum is a forum for promoting mediocrity and denigrating wonders.Coda beating this genuine adaptation ….

Thanks  America, again…

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 12 posts - 346 through 357 (of 357 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.