Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022: Original Screenplay and Adapted Screenplay

Oscars 2022: Original Screenplay and Adapted Screenplay

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 509 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
JV
Manav

• Stefania
    Topics:

Anyone else feeling that there’s a possibility for Red Rocket to be a lone Screenplay nominee? I haven’t seen it, but it seems to me like the type of movie the writers’ branch would throw in because of its unique characters/story or bold/quirky/bizarre presentation. It also helps that Sean Baker has garnered a good amount of respect over the last few years since Tangerine and The Florida Project, something that likely helped similar indie filmmakers like Mike Mills and Paul Schrader get their first nominations (also Derek Cianfrance considering his story credit on Sound of Metal).

I had “Red Rocket” as a lone screenplay nominee in like August, but then I saw that nobody was making this prediction and I let it go.

crabbie
    Topics:

I think the lone screenplay nomination is between CODA and Red Rocket.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

kaziz
    Topics:

Anyone else feeling that there’s a possibility for Red Rocket to be a lone Screenplay nominee? I haven’t seen it, but it seems to me like the type of movie the writers’ branch would throw in because of its unique characters/story or bold/quirky/bizarre presentation. It also helps that Sean Baker has garnered a good amount of respect over the last few years since Tangerine and The Florida Project, something that likely helped similar indie filmmakers like Mike Mills and Paul Schrader get their first nominations (also Derek Cianfrance considering his story credit on Sound of Metal).

I think it’s possible yeah. This field does feel like many of the cool kids (small films, really) are Netflix or A24 contenders lol. C’mon C’mon, Red Rocket, The Hand of God, The Harder They Fall.

Then of course Titane, Spencer, Parallel Mothers, The Worst Person in the World, and I’m still not totally ruling out Flee, Petite Maman, A Chiara. But if foreign films aren’t crashing this I’d say yeah the Netflix & A24 films could very well get into Original Screenplay because I just don’t see anything as a lock (except Belfast I guess, much to my chagrin, and PTA rarely misses too…)

FYC:
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    The Banshees of Inisherin
    Women Talking
    All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
    Joyland
    RRR
    Aftersun

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

Original screenplay
    The Worst Person in The World
    Mass
    Spencer
    Belfast
    Parallell Mothers

Bubbles
    CODA
    Red Rocket
    Titane

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

kbc
    Topics:

I’m all for a Red Rocket appearance, but I think A Hero, Parallel Mothers and The Worst Person in the World are all ahead of it. But🤞- I’m here for it (still believe Sean Baker’s brilliant The Florida Project was snubbed here)

FYC
    Best Picture: "Aftersun" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Charlotte Wellls; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Frankie Corio; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Paul Mescal; Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Charlotte Wells
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Best Adapted Screenplay

1 – Nightmare Alley

2 – The Power of the Dog

3 – The Lost Daughter

4 – The Humans

5 – Passing

Best Original Screenplay

1 – Licorice Pizza

2 – Belfast

3 – Don’t Look Up

4 – Mass

5 – The French Dispatch

Stefania
    Topics:

Original Screenplay

Belfast
    Licorice Pizza
    Don’t Look Up
    C’mon C’mon
    The Worst Person in the world

Possibilities:

The French Dispatch
    Parallel Mothers / A Hero / Titane
    King Richard
    Red Rocket
    Being the Ricardos

Adapted Screenplay

The Power of the Dog
    The Lost Daughter
    Nightmare Alley
    Passing
    The Humans

Possibilities:

Dune
    The Tragedy of Macbeth
    House of Gucci
    CODA

wolfali
    Topics:

Original Screenplay

1. Paul Thomas Anderson, Licorice Pizza
    2. Kenneth Branagh, Belfast
    3. Adam McKay, Don’t Look Up
    4. Steven Knight, Spencer
    5. Pedro Almodovar, Parallel Mothers

6. Joachim Trier and Eskil Vogt, The Worst Person in the World
    7. Mike Mills, C’mon C’mon
    8. Zach Baylin, King Richard
    9. Aaron Sorkin, Being the Ricardos
    10. Sean Baker, Red Rocket

Adapted Screenplay

1. Maggie Gyllenhaal, The Lost Daughter
    2. Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    3. Guillermo del Toro and Kim Morgan, Nightmare Alley
    4. Rebecca Hall, Passing
    5. Sian Heder, CODA

6. Joel Coen, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    7. Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve and Eric Roth, Dune
    8. Becky Johnston and Roberto Bentivegna, House of Gucci
    9. Stephen Karam, The Humans
    10. Neal Purvis, Robert Wade, Cary Joji Fukunaga and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, No Time to Die

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

DaKardii
    Topics:

NOVEMBER PREDICTIONS
    Original

1. Belfast
    2. Licorice Pizza
    3. King Richard
    4. Don’t Look Up
    5. Mass

Adapted

1. The Power of the Dog
    2. CODA
    3. Nightmare Alley
    4. The Tragedy of Macbeth
    5. The Lost Daughter

TrumpBiden
    Topics:

November list!

Original S

There’s almost always 1 lone screenplay nominee that comes out of nowhere, right?

Lil Tony
    Topics:

When House of Gucci appears in adapted with no one predicting it

Danielle Deadwyler gave the performance of the year.

I remain Lady Gaga's BIGGEST FAN

Heptapod
    Topics:

I may be wrong, but after seeing it, I think Spencer will be a bigger play in directing than screenplay.

I want to predict CODA so, so bad, but I’m just not sure it’s had the staying power to make it in over newer, more exciting projects.

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

wolfali
    Topics:

I have CODA getting in à la The White Tiger. I think it will get nominations at both the BAFTAs and WGA (thanks to both the sensibilities of the former and the slew of ineligibilities at the latter) but also the adapted field feels wide open to me.

With Ma Rainey’s snub last year the branch showed they’re not that keen on stage to screen adaptations that don’t involve a lot of adaptation (unless they’re adapted by the original playwright) so I don’t really see The Tragedy of Macbeth getting in. And Dune‘s writing is its most criticised element. If House of Gucci ends up being a screenplay contender I’ll replace CODA with it.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

SN
    Topics:

I have CODA getting in à la The White Tiger. I think it will get nominations at both the BAFTAs and WGA (thanks to both the sensibilities of the former and the slew of ineligibilities at the latter) but also the adapted field feels wide open to me.

The White Tiger was a more late release though and it had good word of mouth for the two months before the nominations. CODA is an early release that people are barely talking about. It could be nominated, but I don’t think that’s a good comparison.

wolfali
    Topics:

The White Tiger was a more late release though and it had good word of mouth for the two months before the nominations. CODA is an early release that people are barely talking about. It could be nominated, but I don’t think that’s a good comparison.

Perhaps. But there’s also Booksmart, another early release, that was nominated at the BAFTAs and WGA. It missed at the Oscars because 1917 coat-tailed a screenplay nomination.

Thus far there is no 1917 type contender in adapted screenplay.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022: Original Screenplay and Adapted Screenplay’ is closed to new replies.