Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 405 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
5 hours ago
replies
views
users
kamila
Moviebuff22
Babylonian
  • Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

I have Peter Dinklage relatively low because I’m not entirely sure that Cyrano actually exists.

MGM does seem itchy about the prospects for Cyrano in front of a general audience. The dismal box office performances of In the Heights, Dear Evan Hansen
    and West Side Story certainly must weigh heavily there. Though I think this recent article means to say Feb. 25 for the new U.K. release date.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/omicron-surge-awards-sesason-box-office-1235073028/amp/

MGM and Universal International, which has Cyrano overseas, delayed that film’s U.K. release 11 days to Jan. 25 [sic] because of Omicron.

As of now, plans for the film’s U.S. release in select theaters Jan. 28, to be followed by an expansion, remain. “We will keep adjusting so that we find our sweet spot,” says Erik Lomis, president of distribution at UA, which is handling Cyrano, House of Gucci and Licorice Pizza.

Licorice Pizza is playing in fewer than 800 theaters and may not boost its location count until the Oscar noms are announced. The specialty film has earned $8.2 million to date, while House of Gucci — which had a wide release — is at nearly $50.1 million domestic.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Colman/Close and Hopkins/Boseman scenario could happen here, but Cumberbatch isn’t undeniable like Colman and Hopkins.

Neither Colman nor Hopkins were undeniable at any stage of their respective seasons.

Best Supporting Actress - Kathryn Hunter, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Judi Dench, Ruth Negga
    Best Supporting Actor - Troy Katsur, Ciarán Hinds, Alex Hassell, Bertie Carvel
    Best Actress - Tessa Thompson
    The Tragedy of Macbeth in Directing, Production Design, Cinematography and thee Kathryn Hunter
    Mass in Original Screenplay

The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

Leo should be a bigger player in this race.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

I don’t know why people think Benedict is a lock for BAFTA. He is a contender there, but Will Smith is much stronger at the moment. If 2022 is a repeat of 2021 with a British actor winning the Oscar with nothing but a BAFTA win while a black actor loses despite a narrative than often works for white actors the backlash would be huge.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

I don’t know why people think Benedict is a lock for BAFTA. He is a contender there, but Will Smith is much stronger at the moment. If 2022 is a repeat of 2021 with a British actor winning the Oscar with nothing but a BAFTA win while a black actor loses despite a narrative than often works for white actors the backlash would be huge.

Will is stronger than Cumberbatch for BAFTA on what basis? They’re not going to be *that* afraid of backlash. If Cumberbatch loses the BAFTA, he’s losing to another British actor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Will is stronger than Cumberbatch for BAFTA on what basis? They’re not going to be *that* afraid of backlash. If Cumberbatch loses the BAFTA, he’s losing to another British actor.

Because BAFTA ALWAYS awards British actors??? I don’t think Smith is stronger at BAFTA, but he is stronger OVERALL, and will win the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

Because BAFTA ALWAYS awards British actors??? I don’t think Smith is stronger at BAFTA, but he is stronger OVERALL, and will win the Oscar.

I thought you meant he was stronger at BAFTA. No, they don’t always award British actors. But in the potential lineups for this year, that’s probably what will happen considering even the more populist pick is also British.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

They don’t always award British actors, that’s a narrative bored people conjure up on message boards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Neither Colman nor Hopkins were undeniable at any stage of their respective seasons.

Not undeniable in the sense of winning everything, but undeniable in the sense that, whilst the supposed frontrunners (Close, Boseman) were great and had strong narratives, everyone thought they (Colman, Hopkins) were the most deserving.

Maybe I should’ve phrased better. Maybe it’s just me but it doesn’t seem that Cumberbatch has the same widespread passion that Colman and Hopkins had.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Also worth mentioning that it’s more difficult these days for a film to win such a huge combo like Picture/Director/Actor/Supporting Actor/Adapted Screenplay.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

I cannot believe we are back to the whole “Denzel might miss ” issue again.

It’s what happens when someone delivers an underwhelming performance.

If Tom Hanks can miss for Captain Phillips, a much stronger player in the Best Picture race, than Denzel can miss for this crap. It’s not like he is due for anything. Already been nominated 3 times in the past decade. Enough is enough.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

We’ve been praising Hunter but I agree about Alex Hassell being great as well. Such a a captivating performance.

I liked him in Cowboy Bebop. Talented underrated actor imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JRJ8990
    Topics:

I’m predicting Smith, Cumberbatch, Washington, Garfield, and DiCaprio. Part of me wants to predict Dinklage for a nomination, but the release of his movie makes me wary of his chances to be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL

Denzel is like the male Meryl Steep when it comes to Oscar nominations at this point. If he has a project that is Oscar bait and it comes out at the right time, he’s usually getting in at the Oscars. I think the same will happen with The Tragedy of Macbeth. Cyrano‘s release date being moved is gonna hurt Dinklage quite a bit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

It’s what happens when someone delivers an underwhelming performance. If Tom Hanks can miss for Captain Phillips, a much stronger player in the Best Picture race, than Denzel can miss for this crap. It’s not like he is due for anything. Already been nominated 3 times in the past decade. Enough is enough.

Seriously??????  I’m pretty sure several people including myself would like him to get his 3rd Oscar.  To me, I think he’s due……………

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 405 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.