Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 486 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 hours ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
kamila
Moviebuff22
Babylonian
  • Profile picture
    Bohemian Bovine
    Topics:

Denzel is absolutely perfect in the role of Macbeth. One of Denzel’s trademarks is his ability to play characters that keep their cool under tremendous pressure. The frenzy and madness inherent to the Macbeth character brings that “cool” to its absolute limits. It’s astonishing work.

Considering that Denzel has publicly talked about retiring (in the Joe Pesci sense of “don’t expect to see me back on screen anytime soon”) I think there’s going to be a significant part of the Academy that sees it as a final time to reward him, and that’s enough to assure him a nomination at the least.

You don’t have to like him, the performance, or Shakespeare, but talk of him missing is offensively foolish.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I watched Macbeth last night and imo Washington delivered the strongest male performance (along with Garfield) this year. He deserve the awards more than Cumberbatch and Smith even if it’s not happening.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I would prefer if Denzel missed and I blame the director. “Macbeth” was so unwatchable due to the director’s horrid decisions. It felt like a child’s stage play. Denzel was Denzel and that was not good. Frances was Frances. The director not making them use accents and quoting Shakespear word-for-word was horrible. I went to see the film with 2 stage writers and they were just as disappointed as I was. Only Hunter would be worthy of a nomination.

If you have watched Polanski’s Macbeth(1971), you will get used to this form of screenplay. In fact, Coen’s version has more accessible dialogue than Polanski’s. I think in this way, it can suit the whole solemn atmosphere better and make the audience feel more unsettling, which is actually one of their main intentions. You can learn this in their BTS video.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ravenprince22
    Topics:

Colman/Close and Hopkins/Boseman scenario could happen here, but Cumberbatch isn’t undeniable like Colman and Hopkins.

They weren’t undeniable either which is why they lost a bunch of precursors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

They’re saying Denzel didn’t transform from his typical screen persona (ditto for Frances). And yes, they were miscast, failing to bring the necessary vital sense of tragedy and insanity to these roles, and failing to deliver the cadence of the dialogue properly. It wasn’t because of any brave creative choice on their part either. They simply didn’t go out of their comfort zones.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

I am happy to see that  more and more people thought Denzel was perfect in that role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am happy to see that more and more people thought Denzel was perfect in that role.

Many people think he was terrible in the role too. I thought he was truly the worst in the movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

They’re saying Denzel didn’t transform from his typical screen persona (ditto for Frances). 

Who’s they?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I would prefer if Denzel missed and I blame the director. “Macbeth” was so unwatchable due to the director’s horrid decisions. It felt like a child’s stage play. Denzel was Denzel and that was not good. Frances was Frances. The director not making them use accents and quoting Shakespear word-for-word was horrible. I went to see the film with 2 stage writers and they were just as disappointed as I was. Only Hunter would be worthy of a nomination. I’m all down for Smith winning.

Were you able to finish the film? I couldn’t finish it and I won’t bother going back to it. Anyway, I’m still of the opinion that Will Smith did not do anything award worthy in King Richard and Aunjenue Ellis shouldn’t even be nominated. Cumberbatch seemed more challenged, but his film was a sleeping pill. Andrew Garfield gave a great performance in a terrible film  and should definitely be nominated. As unbearable as it may sound, Leonardo DiCaprio is the only one with a film and performance that I truly enjoyed. Jude Hill would be a great choice, but they hate male child actors.

Best actress is way more interesting. As mediocre as best actress films may look to a lot of people, I think they were more enjoyable and entertaining

Laga Gaga for Best Actress.

House of Gucci for best picture.

Belfast for everything - Best Picture win

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Were you able to finish the film? I couldn’t finish it and I won’t bother going back to it. Anyway, I’m still of the opinion that Will Smith did not do anything award worthy in King Richard and Aunjenue Ellis shouldn’t even be nominated. Cumberbatch seemed more challenged, but his film was a sleeping pill. Andrew Garfield gave a great performance in a terrible film and should definitely be nominated. As unbearable as it may sound, Leonardo DiCaprio is the only one with a film and performance that I truly enjoyed. Jude Hill would be a great choice, but they hate male child actors.

Best actress is way more interesting. As mediocre as best actress films may look to a lot of people, I think they were more enjoyable and entertaining

So what exactly is your personal ranking of these contenders? Just curious

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

So what exactly is your personal ranking of these contenders? Just curious

Leonardo DiCaprio

Jude Hill

Joaquin Phoenix

Andrew Garfield

Mahershala Ali

Will Smith

Benedict Cumberbatch

Javier Bardem

I won’t rank Denzel Washington because I am not educated enough in literature to understand what his movie was all about. I haven’t seen Red Rocket, Cyrano and Nightmare Alley.

Laga Gaga for Best Actress.

House of Gucci for best picture.

Belfast for everything - Best Picture win

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Hidetoshi Nishijima is wonderful in Drive My Car but his character is too introverted – his emotional scenes are at the end of the movie. The NSFC sure loved Drive My Car, giving it four major awards including Best Actor!

The fifth slot is still the big mystery. I loved Leo’s performance so much I am keeping in that fifth slot, at least until I see who makes it into the BAFTA lineup.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

They’re saying Denzel didn’t transform from his typical screen persona (ditto for Frances). And yes, they were miscast, failing to bring the necessary vital sense of tragedy and insanity to these roles, and failing to deliver the cadence of the dialogue properly. It wasn’t because of any brave creative choice on their part either. They simply didn’t go out of their comfort zones.

Yes. Who is saying this?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Yes. Who is saying this?

The voices inside their head. Denzel was sublime in Macbeth.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

The voices inside their head. Denzel was sublime in Macbeth.

Ditto

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 486 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.