Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 501 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
kamila
Moviebuff22
Bohemian Bovine
  • Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Denzel DIDN’T connect to the emotion of the material, nor the character relationships. That is exactly the problem.

I’d say he did. Was he a world-class Macbeth? I wouldn’t go that far, but he did a solid job. We can’t all be Bradley Cooper, I suppose.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

I’m not sure what you’re arguing towards then. “A solid job” doesn’t deserve an Oscar nomination. Top 5 out of all the Actors in an entire year needs to be exceptional, mindblowing, swoon-worthy.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Top 5 out of all the Actors in an entire year needs to be exceptional, mindblowing, swoon-worthy.

Considering the proclaimed frontrunner isn’t any of these adjectives, I don’t see why the standard should be different for Denzel Washington. Maybe because he is the standard.

Profile picture
    distain
    Topics:

I’m not sure what you’re arguing towards then. “A solid job” doesn’t deserve an Oscar nomination. Top 5 out of all the Actors in an entire year needs to be exceptional, mindblowing, swoon-worthy.

Have you actually read Denzel’s reviews? According to the vast majority of them, Denzel as Macbeth was indeed “exceptional”. He’s got one of the best reviewed performances of the year, which is why he’s been nominated everywhere and won the Toronto Film Critics Association Best Actor Award.

His peers, like Ellen Barkin are on twitter calling his performance a “masterclass”. His peer group (SAG) also nominated him for Best Actor. Most people I’ve seen on social media seem to have nothing but praise for his performance.

Not everyone can like the same thing. So I understand your frustration, because I’ve often held a minority opinion myself. But looking at it objectively (reviews, social media and peer reactions), the majority of people appear to feel Denzel was indeed “exceptional ” as Macbeth. You don’t have to like it, but you can’t really change it. You subjectively think Denzel isn’t great as Macbeth. I subjectively think he’s given the best Shakespearan performance by an American actor since Marlon Brando in Julius Ceasar (better than Brando actually). It is what it is.

It’s all opinions at the end of the day, but what’s not subjective is that Denzel is probably getting Oscar nominated, and is peaking at the right time to be win competitive (especially with Smith not campaigning much for some reason). So I can see why some would be worried, especially if you are rooting for someone else in the race. Denzel may well pull an Anthony Hopkins like last year.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Denzel is absolutely not win competitive LOL. Smith is definitely campaigning hard, and has been for 2 months now, no idea what you’re talking about.

Considering the proclaimed frontrunner isn’t any of these adjectives

He is though, for enough people.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

It is a choice to think Smith gave a better performance than Washington. Let’s just say that.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

It is a choice to think Smith gave a better performance than Washington. Let’s just say that.

Yes, a good choice. Neither should be nominated but Smith goes deeper into the character and gives a good sense of the person and their history and motivations, rather than being drearily rooted in place like it’s a basic acting class, and sleepily regurgitating Shakespeare’s dialogue with a generic solemnity that has little sense of immediacy and connectivity.

Profile picture
    Bohemian Bovine
    Topics:

Zuranthium, are you being paid to diss Denzel as Macbeth?

Otherwise, let it go.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Well, Denzel gets to portray a character, Will gets to portray a caricature that’s at one point crying which, as we all know, equals Oscar.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

I didn’t like the pursuit of Tennis’s performance that much but for now I am sure he is winning SAG. I don’t think he stands a chance at BAFTA (duh)

I disagree with all of this vehemently but for some reason I laughed at “The Pursuit Of Tennis” dig lmao

Profile picture
    George Papakostas
    Topics:

Does anybody think that either Leonardo DiCaprio or Bradley Cooper will surpise on nomination morning?

Leo is well liked and respected by everyone and his movie is the most successful movie on Netflix EVER!OH! And everyone is talking about it these days, by the way!

Bradley got a best actor nomination for American Sniper and his movie back then was not exactly a critics´darling either…

I am not saying that both can get in. I am saying that either can!

Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

Does anybody think that either Leonardo DiCaprio or Bradley Cooper will surpise on nomination morning?

Leo is well liked and respected by everyone and his movie is the most successful movie on Netflix EVER!OH! And everyone is talking about it these days, by the way!

Bradley got a best actor nomination for American Sniper and his movie back then was not exactly a critics´darling either…

I am not saying that both can get in. I am saying that either can!

Leo wouldn’t be a surprise. He has been predicted to get in for over a year now and seems to be in the 5-7th position in most predictions with a still wide open 5th slot.

Bradley will received a nom in supporting for Licorice Pizza and I don’t see a double nom for him this year in any way.

Hidetoshi Nishijima, Joaquin Phoenix or Simon Rex would be great surprises, and I think the first 2 have an small chance to do it.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Denzel is absolutely not win competitive LOL. Smith is definitely campaigning hard, and has been for 2 months now, no idea what you’re talking about.

He is though, for enough people.

If he was, he would have swept up some of these critics awards to go along with his starfucking Globe. But his whole push has been about him being in a “feel good” movie and the fact that he’s overdue. Take away that, and he’s nothing against Cumberbatch, Washington or Garfield. Other actors in this race have received more acclaim. Smith playing Richard Williams in a Lifetime-like movie is hardly a “masterclass of acting.”

Profile picture
    superbrats
    Topics:

Does anybody think that either Leonardo DiCaprio or Bradley Cooper will surpise on nomination morning? Leo is well liked and respected by everyone and his movie is the most successful movie on Netflix EVER!OH! And everyone is talking about it these days, by the way! Bradley got a best actor nomination for American Sniper and his movie back then was not exactly a critics´darling either… I am not saying that both can get in. I am saying that either can!

I think DiCaprio is very possible but like someone else said here, the fact that he couldn’t get a SAG nomination is telling.

Bradley isn’t happening imo. Judging by how it performed on the shortslists, the Academy doesn’t like Nightmare Alley.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.