Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 501 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
kamila
Moviebuff22
BoBo
  • Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

The reason why Will Smith will prevail is because there isn’t a clear alternative to him.

Benedict Cumberbatch has his fans/votes. And so does Andrew Garfield (my personal winner). They will split the British white boy vote.

The “Hollywood Icon” and “overdue” status puts Will over the top in my opinion.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

The reason why Will Smith will prevail is because there isn’t a clear alternative to him. Benedict Cumberbatch has his fans/votes. And so does Andrew Garfield (my personal winner). They will split the British white boy vote. The “Hollywood Icon” and “overdue” status puts Will over the top in my opinion.

I think Garfield is the passion vote, and Cumberbatch is the critical darling, but he’s playing an unlikeable character in a streaming movie with poor audience reception.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    Nina76
    Topics:

The reason why Will Smith will prevail is because there isn’t a clear alternative to him.

Benedict Cumberbatch has his fans/votes. And so does Andrew Garfield (my personal winner). They will split the British white boy vote.

The “Hollywood Icon” and “overdue” status puts Will over the top in my opinion.

When Denzel gets his third for TTOM
    Kidding 🙂
    My gut feeling is that it’s going to be a fractured race.
    Don’t throw objects at me, but in my humble opinion I don’t see Smith as overdue as, say, Di Caprio, Pitt or Phoenix.
    He is a movie star, but can it be enough in a year when there are stronger contenders in stronger movies?
    This season is so freaking long…

Profile picture
    Nina76
    Topics:

I think Garfield is the passion vote, and Cumberbatch is the critical darling, but he’s playing an unlikeable character in a streaming movie with poor audience reception.

Unlikable characters won in the recent past.
    Poor audience reception from whom? What it matters is whether Sag/Ampas/Bafta voters like his performance enough to choose him.

I agree with you about Garfield.

Passion picks might give us a few surprises 🙂

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

When Denzel gets his third for TTOM Kidding 🙂 My gut feeling is that it’s going to be a fractured race. Don’t throw objects at me, but in my humble opinion I don’t see Smith as overdue as, say, Di Caprio, Pitt or Phoenix. He is a movie star, but can it be enough in a year when there are stronger contenders in stronger movies? This season is so freaking long…

I was about to say that Benedict is the only one in a strong BP movie besides Will at the moment. But actually, a part of why TTOM is on the bubble is because it premiered later. If it’s in BP, TTOM and KR might be more on equal footing as middle of the pack nominees. KR missed an editing listing for BAFTA, and TTOM at least has a good shot at a cinematography nom. Contrary to what Anne Thompson thinks, I don’t see King Richard as some juggernaut in the BP race.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Will Smith is not on the Actors and Actors, unless he’s the mystery guest…

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I’m starting to consider the idea of Denzel winning. SAG could easily want to award him again and he can win the Oscar with SAG only. It’s also really likely that the BAFTA jury will finally nominate him.

Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

Will seems to be doing almost no campaigning this season, yet there’s people screaming they don’t want him to win because he’s “thirsty”…

Profile picture
    Aaron Kalloo
    Topics:

Yeah I was thinking maybe he’s the mystery guest to be paired with Gaga….we’ll see

Profile picture
    Honey
    Topics:

There’s only been once instance in this category where both GG acting winner lost at SAG to someone from a movie that didn’t get in SAG ensemble. (Johnny Depp – Pirates of the Carribean) Even the ones who lost GG who prevailed at SAG were in SAG ensemble nominees. It would mean SAG would be between Smith and Garfield, and Smith is the only ensemble nominee so he’d prob just win at SAG lol.

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

^ And Day-Lewis for Gangs of New York. Nicholson and Gere won the Globe. The latter had Chicago in ensemble.

Profile picture
    Honey
    Topics:

Gangs was a late screener situation, I think? (which Power and Tick tick arent) but yes that too. Depp had the box office giant/career revival as a factor for him. I forget Lost in Translation and Pirates were the same year, otherwise Depp would’ve easily won GG that year lol.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Yes, please..

Oscars Underdogs: Nine Actors Who Deserve Voters’ Attention

Clifton Collins Jr., Jockey
    In January 2021, Variety reviewer Peter Debruge wrote that “Jockey” gives Clifton Collins Jr. the role of his career, with the actor “delivering the performance of the 2021 Sundance Film Festival.” Around the same time, Variety’s Brent Lang wrote, “An Academy Award nod would be long overdue recognition for Collins, who does consistently solid work without ever seeming to have found that one role to move him out of ‘that guy’ roles and propel him to the A-list.” Debruge and Lang are very smart. Listen to them and see the film before voting.

J

FYC
    Best Picture: "Showing Up" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Kelly Reichardt; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Michelle Williams; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Hong Chau, Heather Lawless, Amanda Plummer; Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch, Andre Benjamin, John Magaro; Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Kelly Reichardt, Jonathan Raymond
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Will seems to be doing almost no campaigning this season

Why do people keep saying this lately? He absolutely has been, harder and earlier than anyone else this season. Some events were just cancelled by Omicron and probably his team doesn’t want to get overexposed in the media at the moment. The nomination is secure and after it happens, then they can ramp up the narrative again.

Profile picture
    Nina76
    Topics:

I was about to say that Benedict is the only one in a strong BP movie besides Will at the moment. But actually, a part of why TTOM is on the bubble is because it premiered later. If it’s in BP, TTOM and KR might be more on equal footing as middle of the pack nominees. KR missed an editing listing for BAFTA, and TTOM at least has a good shot at a cinematography nom. Contrary to what Anne Thompson thinks, I don’t see King Richard as some juggernaut in the BP race.

I actually agree with you on everything.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.