Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 501 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
kamila
Moviebuff22
BoBo
  • Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Is there a reason why Will Smith is hardly doing any oscar campaigning this season? I haven’t seen him do any press lately and the fact that he’s not part of Variety’s Actors on Actors is strange considering all the other frontrunners are involved, is he doing this on purpose? If this continues, I feel like Andrew Garfield is going to take the Oscar this year, he’s literally everywhere and doing interviews with anyone who will listen…

Will did a TON of press earlier in the year promoting not only the movie, but his fitness journey, and his book as well.  There was also a lot of gossip surrounding his marriage. He might feel he’s been overexposed and laying low might be a strategy of sorts. If you notice the whole Smith family has been rather subdued the last few months.

Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

And yet Kodi Smit-McPhee is the frontrunner in supporting actor…

Because it’s a weak ass category lol. Bradley Cooper is getting in for a cameo, and I genuinely think he’s top 3 and has an outside chance to win.

I’m not sure why there’s so much activity over here, the female categories are way more interesting this season.

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

Benedict Cumberbatch is not Frances McDormand.

Holy shit you’re genius!

Profile picture
    BoBo
    Topics:

I don’t know. I’ve never seen Benedict Cumberbatch and Frances McDormand in the same place at the same time…

Plus, in Good Omens Frances McDormand played God and Benedict Cumberbatch played Satan, and we all know they’re two sides of the same coin…

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

I think once will gets the oscar nom he will start up promo again. Also i believe he’s filming a slavery movie right now?

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

Is there a reason why Will Smith is hardly doing any oscar campaigning this season? I haven’t seen him do any press lately and the fact that he’s not part of Variety’s Actors on Actors is strange considering all the other frontrunners are involved, is he doing this on purpose? If this continues, I feel like Andrew Garfield is going to take the Oscar this year, he’s literally everywhere and doing interviews with anyone who will listen…

If my memory is correct, I don’t think Frances McDormand hardly did any campaign for ‘Nomadland’.  Even though she didn’t win CC, GG & SAG, she did win BAFTA and then Oscars.

Profile picture
    AmazingAmy
    Topics:

Overexposure is never a good thing.

It might be smart of Will to keep a low profile this award season because:

a) People are always looking for a reason to hate on him. If he doesn’t give any interviews, they have no material to use against him.

b) His persona is so big and dominating that it makes people overlook his talent. He should be commended for how versatile of an actor he is. He can do comedy, action and drama brilliantly but because he is so mainstream, people try to underrate his acting skills. Maybe laying low will help put the focus back on his talent.

c) He is not a no-name actor that needs to campaign their ass off to be in the race. He’s been one of the biggest movie stars since the 90s, he’s been nominated for the Academy Awards before, everyone that’s voting knows who he is, he has already won the Globe this year and been nominated at all the upcoming industry awards. He’s the front runner period. But let people delude themselves into this Andrew Garfield fantasy.

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

Everyone knows who Denzel is and he’s still campaigning. If they’re trying to have Will lay low to minimize foot-in-mouth syndrome because of his book, then fine and probably a good idea. But I don’t buy this idea that superstars don’t campaign. For every McDormand, there’s a McConaughey, and his “overexposure” that year helped him secure the Oscar.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Right, superstars campaign all the time for these awards. And Will has done his fair share of campaigning this season, even if it’s direct or indirect. Will hasn’t really gotten that much flack for being “thirsty” this season. The Will troopers just love to spin the arguments that way. God forbid he loses at least one of the precursors.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Will Smith
    2. Benedict Cumberbatch
    3. Andrew Garfield
    4. Denzel Washington
    5. Leonardo DiCaprio

6. Javier Bardem
    7. Peter Dinklage

Profile picture
    Gajo
    Topics:

That’s one performance. Jenkins and Spencer received significantly less wins from critics. Kodi and Cumberbatch are the critics darling of their category and Dunst is #2 on the MC scorecard. There is a total of 44 wins from the TPOTD cast.

That TPOTD comment was dumb. I agree with that. But so is saying all of  TSOW’s passion was concentrated around its director when its lead was doing similarly well, regardless of how the other players are doing.

Profile picture
    superbrats
    Topics:

Everyone knows who Denzel is and he’s still campaigning. If they’re trying to have Will lay low to minimize foot-in-mouth syndrome because of his book, then fine and probably a good idea. But I don’t buy this idea that superstars don’t campaign. For every McDormand, there’s a McConaughey, and his “overexposure” that year helped him secure the Oscar.

Eddie Redmayne campaigning for his life also didn’t hurt his chances. If Andrew Garfield ends up taking the Oscar, I think his path might be similar (but Redmayne had a baitier role, to be fair).

Cumberbatch is the frontrunner for me, but like other people in the thread have said, I have TPOTD winning Picture, Director, Supporting Actor and Adapted Screenplay already, so idk. Five wins seems very unlikely and Cumberbatch has the strongest competition (Campion is up against some very big names but I can’t see her not winning BD).

Profile picture
    silvestre
    Topics:

Will Smith, King Richard
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    Andrew Garfield, tick… tick… BOOM
    Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    Leonardo Di Caprio, Don’t Look Up

Javier Bardem, Being the Ricardos
    Cooper Hoffman, Licorice Pizza
    Peter Dinklage, Cyrano
    Hidetoshi Nijishima, Drive My Car
    Simon Rex, Red Rocket

Profile picture
    irinacx
    Topics:

Because it’s a weak ass category lol. Bradley Cooper is getting in for a cameo, and I genuinely think he’s top 3 and has an outside chance to win. I’m not sure why there’s so much activity over here, the female categories are way more interesting this season.

What do you mean? there’s barely any activity here and in Supporting Actor compared to Best Actress and Supporting Actress.

Also the Best Actress thread is a mess, that’s why a lot of us don’t like to go there

Profile picture
    themisnnemesis
    Topics:

I do think there are tiers to the appreciation for TPOTD’s acting performances though. There may not be a huge gap between them, but Kodi’s performance seems the most appreciated followed by Benedict’s. And then there’s a larger gap between them and Kirsten.

Supporting actor is weaker than actor. BC didn’t win more awards because there are very good performances like those of Cage, Simon Rex, Nishijima and others, including AG. Who are the contenders against Kodi? The Belfast guys don’t count, it’s been almost between him and Kotsur.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.