Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 14)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 482 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
Babylonian
Derrick_Eogha..
Manav
  • Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

My tea on the topic of bait:

All five of King Richard, The Power Of The Dog, Tick Tick Boom, The Tragedy Of Macbeth and Being The Ricardos are Oscar Bait films. Throughout her career,Jane Campion has rarely done Oscar Bait films (The Piano certainly wasn’t one and neither was Holy Smoke!). The Power Of The Dog is her most mainstream Oscar Bait project since Potrait Of A Lady. All five of the films are obvious Oscar Bait. You know what isn’t Oscar Bait? —Drive My Car. Another non-Oscar Bait film— Pig.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

Will Smith is one of the biggest movie stars and money makers there is. Bigger then Close and Boseman, and Hopkins had one of the best performances of the last decade. Also, Smith’s film performed well across the board, AND he got into bafta when everyone said he’d miss. He’s winning

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Will Smith is one of the biggest movie stars and money makers there is. Bigger then Close and Boseman, and Hopkins had one of the best performances of the last decade. Also, Smith’s film performed well across the board, AND he got into bafta when everyone said he’d miss. He’s winning

True.The Boseman-Hopkins and Close-Colman argument becomes invalid in its infancy due to the sole fact that King Richard is a Picture, Screenplay and Editing nominee at the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

No I don’t think so. You need to remember this: Ma Rainey didn’t get BP, Director, Screenplay nor Editing nomination whereas KR did with the exception of Director. I think Ma Rainey NOT getting those nominations hurt Chadwick and I think even though if Will loses BAFTA, he’s still the front runner because KR over performed with nominations NOT only did they get BP, Screenplay and Editing but with Smith for Actor, Ellis got SA and Be Alive by Beyonce got Original Song…………… The Wife was Glenn Close sole nomination and I really think that hurt her. Surprisingly, Julianne Moore won for Still Alice which the sole nomination

Julianne was able to overcome the obstacle of being the sole nomination of her film for three reasons. She was praised for her performance, was considered overdue, and swept throughout the whole season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Julianne was able to overcome the obstacle of being the sole nomination of her film for three reasons. She was praised for her performance, was considered overdue, and swept throughout the whole season.

And none of the other nominees were particularly challenging to her. The only one among them who was in a BP Nominee was Jones but there was she was not winning,so it was a cakewalk for Moore.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

And none of the other nominees were particularly challenging to her. The only one among them who was in a BP Nominee was Jones but there was she was not winning,so it was a cakewalk for Moore.

Yeah, exactly. I have always thought that Rosamund Pike was second that year but the Academy rarely awards antiheroine characters… we all know they had the opportunity to give the Oscar to Mulligan last year and see how that ended up. They like to go for the “safe” choice sometimes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tasiandee
    Topics:

Honestly, it will be Impossible to change some of these will haters minds at this point. Even if Will wins BAFTA (Which is possible) they’ll find a way to move the goal post again. Remember from the get go they said will wouldn’t even be nominated at BAFTA, which would hurt his chance at the Oscar’s. And now they saying oh well if he doesn’t win (This award show that we never expected him to even be nominated at) He won’t win the Oscar. Pointing to movies that underperformed King Richard up to this point In their retrospective years and saying, oh smith will do what they did or lose like this actors lost. Will smith has done well and is clear front runner at this point to get the Oscar. He is winning where it counts, not worried at all about critic circles or Goldderby super fans.

No I don’t think so. You need to remember this:

Ma Rainey didn’t get BP, Director, Screenplay nor Editing nomination whereas KR did with the exception of Director. I think Ma Rainey NOT getting those nominations hurt Chadwick and I think even though if Will loses BAFTA, he’s still the front runner because KR over performed with nominations NOT only did they get BP, Screenplay and Editing but with Smith for Actor, Ellis got SA and Be Alive by Beyonce got Original Song……………

The Wife was Glenn Close sole nomination and I really think that hurt her. Surprisingly, Julianne Moore won for Still Alice which the sole nomination

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Yeah, exactly. I have always thought that Rosamund Pike was second that year but the Academy rarely awards antiheroine characters… we all know they had the opportunity to give the Oscar to Mulligan last year and see how that ended up. They like to go for the “safe” choice sometimes.

True. They prefer safer choices and so they have awarded Anti-Heroines only on a few occasions. I can think of only two examples:

Charlize Theron (Monster)
    Kate Winslet (The Reader)

[Theron won GG,CC,SAG and Oscar and Winslet won GG,CC,SAG,BAFTA and Oscar- so both were kind of sweepers]

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

True. They prefer safer choices and so they have awarded Anti-Heroines only on a few occasions. I can think of only two examples: Charlize Theron (Monster) Kate Winslet (The Reader) [Theron won GG,CC,SAG and Oscar and Winslet won GG,CC,SAG,BAFTA and Oscar- so both were kind of sweepers]

Yeah. Add Kathy Bates to that list although she only won the Oscar and the Golden Globe (SAG and Critics Choice didn’t even exist). What an iconic performance!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

Exactly…………..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Wow.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

This is how speeches should be given.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

Leo, Casey Affleck, Gary Oldman, Sam Rockwell, Joaquin Phoenix, Brad Pitt, ansd Anthony Hopkins have won the last few years. With Will Smith about to get his the Academy is correcting some major wrongs

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

People here saying TPOTD isn’t Oscar bait are acting like it’s The House That Jack Built or Trash Humpers or something. ☠️

There’s middle ground between Oscar bait and impenetrable arthouse movies, you know. TPOTD isn’t avant-garde, but it’s not Oscar bait either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Leo, Casey Affleck, Gary Oldman, Sam Rockwell, Joaquin Phoenix, Brad Pitt, ansd Anthony Hopkins have won the last few years. With Will Smith about to get his the Academy is correcting some major wrongs

When has any of those actors been the outright best when it came to their previous nods? And Anthony Hopkins was already an Oscar winner. What were the “major wrongs”?

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 482 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.