Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 500 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

This line-up doesn’t make any sense. Nothing about any combination of Smith-Cumberbatch-Washington-Cooper-DiCaprio-Driver-Chalamet makes sense. They are all ONLY returning nominees and winners. Mind you, it isn’t impossible but it’s unlikely cause years in and out there were first time nominees, not just name checkers 

I think it makes quite a lot of sense for the time being. Smith’s role seems geared towards winning an Oscar and Cumberbatch, Washington, Cooper, DiCaprio and Driver are all starring in films currently leading the Best Picture odds. Precedents are broken all the time and this seems like a year where that could happen.

Obviously too early to tell with plenty of films still to come out and some that will probably emerge from nowhere, but apart from Dinklage, B. Jordan and maybe Landry Jones (who are all starring in films that are unfancied in the BP odds and could prove critically unsuccessful and/ or divisive) there doesn’t seem to be any standout rival to the chances of those you’ve listed yet. Cooper Hoffman maybe, but I’d wanna know more about his role and the film first.

Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

Will is coming. This could will be his year.

Corrected for you.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

This line-up doesn’t make any sense. Nothing about any combination of Smith-Cumberbatch-Washington-Cooper-DiCaprio-Driver-Chalamet makes sense. They are all ONLY returning nominees and winners.  

Stats are there to be broken. But there is also always a late breaker or an unexpected person in the race so that can still happen unless that stat gets broken too and it really is just expected, previously nominated actors.

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

I am going out there and predicting as of August 2021:

Benedict Cumberbatch – The Power of the Dog
    Amir Jadidi – A Hero
    Udo Kier – Swan Song
    Clifton Collins Jr – Jockey
    Andrew Gardfield – tick tick Boom

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Jon Bernthal
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

Contenders never nominated for an Oscar:
    Udo Kier – Swan Song
    Amir Jadidi – A Hero
    Clifton Colilns Jr – Jockey
    Brenda Fraser – The Whale
    Simon Rex – Red Rocket
    Peter Dinklage – Cyrano
    Justin Chon – Blue Bayou
    Josh O’Connor – Mothering Sunday
    Daniel Craig – No Time to Die

Contenders previously nominated for an Oscar:
    Benedict Cumberbatch – The Power of the Dog
    Andrew Garfield – tick tick Boom
    Adam Driver – Annette
    Will Smith – King Richard
    Clint Eastwood- Cry Macho

Contenders with an Oscar win:
    Denzel Washington – The Tragedy of MacBeth
    Nicolas Cage – Pig
    Joaquin Phoenix – C´Mon C´Mon

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Jon Bernthal
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

Returnees: Affleck, Washington, Mortensen, Gosling

First-timer: Garfield

I highlighted years with only 1 first-timer aka dangerously close but yeah there was still one. So I’m thinking they will prop someone we don’t see atm. Perhaps festivals tell us more.

2017 (2016 in year of film) was indeed dangerously close as Garfield could well have been nominated in supporting for The Social Network six years beforehand (he probably finished 6th) and it’s not as if that would’ve altered the lead lineup for 2016. In the last decade, all three other acting categories have had at least one set of nominees who had all been nominated previously.

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

I think it makes quite a lot of sense for the time being. Smith’s role seems geared towards winning an Oscar and Cumberbatch, Washington, Cooper, DiCaprio and Driver are all starring in films currently leading the Best Picture odds. Precedents are broken all the time and this seems like a year where that could happen. Obviously too early to tell with plenty of films still to come out and some that will probably emerge from nowhere, but apart from Dinklage, B. Jordan and maybe Landry Jones (who are all starring in films that are unfancied in the BP odds and could prove critically unsuccessful and/ or divisive) there doesn’t seem to be any standout rival to the chances of those you’ve listed yet. Cooper Hoffman maybe, but I’d wanna know more about his role and the film first.

I still hope Landry Jones somewhat happens because this lineup is very boring.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Stats get broken all the time, and for me this quintet on paper seems too strong for now to be broken by a first time nominee or another previously nominated actor:

Smith
    Cumberbatch
    Washington
    DiCaprio
    Driver

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Annette went from 86% on Rotten Tomatoes last week to 71% in the span it entered theaters.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

1. Benedict Cumberbatch

2. Bradley Cooper

3. Denzel Washington

4. Andrew Garfield

5. Joaquin Phoenix

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Michael B. Jordan/Peter Dinklage is coming.

Yeah these are the most likely to me, along with Clifton Collins Jr. maybe who has amassed quite a body of work. I don’t know, a lineup with entirely all previous nominees would be quite a stat to break. Hasn’t happened it at least 3 decades, I don’t beyond that. It looks likely right now, but that’s because mostly newcomers come either from indie films or foreign films that people don’t see as players until after the critics groups start voting/until they’re seen (Riz for Sound of Metal, Yeun for Minari etc.)

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

It is never, at the end, a lineup of only previously-nominated namecheck actors. It won’t be this year. And if it is, this year sucks because these lists are incredibly boring.

I also find it kinda wild to be asserting other potential contending performances will be so “out of nowhere” when we haven’t seen any of these movies yet. I mean, thus is the nature of awards predictions but…come on.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

If Ansel Elgort was wasn’t a rapist he may have been a newcomer able to break in for West Side Story but he is a wooden actor so maybe not.

Dinklage is coming for Cyrano.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.