Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 500 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

No I know, I’ve read the reviews (a bit feverishly). I don’t have a quibble with what you’re saying, really, and I really genuinely want him to be that critics group fave as of now. I just think that if it was going to win a slew of critics awards, the raves for him would be…a bit more outsized than they seem to me. My example with the podcast was meant to exemplify American critics’ thoughts writ large, some were more complimentary but this seemed like the median opinion to me. That’s all.

Yeah I don’t agree from what I’ve seen that the ‘median opinion’ is Driver is ‘OK’ but you’re entitled to think so.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Yeah I don’t agree from what I’ve seen that the ‘median opinion’ is Driver is ‘OK’ but you’re entitled to think so.

lol no that’s not what i’m saying! the podcast episode was fairly complimentary just not THAT complimentary. they thought he was small-g “great” and didn’t get into it too much. I’m saying that’s the median opinion, not that he’s just “okay”. Anyway, whatever.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

lol no that’s not what i’m saying! the podcast episode was fairly complimentary just not THAT complimentary. they thought he was small-g “great” and didn’t get into it too much. I’m saying that’s the median opinion, not that he’s just “okay”. Anyway, whatever.

I mean again I’m not sure what ‘median’ has to do with it given that the median is literally the middle of the road value so of course it’s going to be middling – but let’s leave it there as I really am not invested enough to continue this discussion.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Its 69% as of right now.

Nice.

People will look back in a few years seeing how much more rapturously The Suicide Squad was raved

Ok but have you seen Suicide Squad though? It rules. Folks have to recognize that movies should be graded on the scale for which they’re meant. For what it’s trying to be, Suicide Squad is extremely successful, worthy of praise, and can’t be compared to Annette.

I think it’s pretty clear at this point Driver for Annette won’t be happening. I think he misses this year, but we’ll see. Kinda tired of him always usurping the conversation.

Anyway, I don’t think he gets in in the longest shot, but just for the record Dev Patel in Green Knight is phenomenal.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

My only issue with Dinklage and Cyrano is from a Thrones fan perspective – he does not campaign and abhors doing press more and more as he gets older

I’m not comparing them in any other way except to say that the same is true of Francis McDormand….

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Anyway, I don’t think he gets in in the longest shot, but just for the record Dev Patel in Green Knight is phenomenal.

Could easily be the critics darling of the year. Just want them to give it its UK release!

I think it’s pretty clear at this point Driver for Annette won’t be happening. I think he misses this year, but we’ll see. Kinda tired of him always usurping the conversation.

I don’t find it unreasonable that an actor whose performance has now been seen is being discussed, but YMMV. I’m interested to see the film when it comes out here in a few weeks.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

median is literally the middle of the road value

The most common value, not the middle of the road. I really don’t know why we’re volleying on this. Whatever disagreement we have with each other, it’s fairly minor. Not invested enough either.

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Could easily be the critics darling of the year. Just want them to give it its UK release!

Yeah I agree, Dev Patel in The Green Knight is getting amazing notices and so is the film. I don’t know if it’s going to be enough because A Ghost Story certainly wasn’t for either Affleck or Mara, but then again, it wasn’t an actor’s showcase film the way The Green Knight seems to be.

FYC:

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Annette will definitely be another movie that this forum is obsessed with but won’t show up at the Oscars.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Dev Patel is outstanding in The Green Knight. But his performance isn’t getting anywhere near an Oscar. The film is too weird for general audiences. Maybe he’ll receive a Critics Choice nomination.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Can someone tell me more about The Humans? I read a Wikipedia summary of it but I want more—like what makes the roles so good, what the play is like etc.

FYC:

Profile picture
    annieholl
    Topics:

Dev Patel is outstanding in The Green Knight. But his performance isn’t getting anywhere near an Oscar. The film is too weird for general audiences. Maybe he’ll receive a Critics Choice nomination.

gotta say, this just sounds weird the year after Maria Bakalova got in thru critics groups

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

gotta say, this just sounds weird the year after Maria Bakalova got in thru critics groups

Subsequent Moviefilm is not an inaccessible arthouse film lol It was a buzzed comedy sequel with political & social appeal. The Borat character was also familiarized with the general public.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

It’s suuuper weird, but based on the reviews Patel’s getting I want to root for him riding out some critics groups the way people were hoping for Driver. But I think it’s just going to be too hard to sustain momentum and it will unfortunately be overlooked as we get into the mess of the fall months. Not helped by the film itself being bonkers and restricted releases meaning it’s not going to be seen widely enough.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.