Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 500 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    annieholl
    Topics:

Subsequent Moviefilm is not an inaccessible arthouse film lol It was a buzzed comedy sequel with political & social appeal. The Borat character was also familiarized with the general public.

Yeah but Borat itself couldn’t come to the Academy with a bargepole. Neither did Sacha Baron Cohen himself until just this year. This whole “Oscar film” business is very outdated. Seems like when people use that phrase they’re still stuck in the early aughts. Films like Gosford Park and The Pianist seem to fit into that, but now we’ve had freaking Parasite and A Shape of Water win. These ideas about “Oscar films” are always a little outdated.

Profile picture
    annieholl
    Topics:

The Green Knight has plenty of “political and social appeal”. You gotta watch it. It probably is too arthouse but we’re talking about Dev Patel here. Performances in weirder films have gotten in recently.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

freaking Parasite and A Shape of Water win.

Parasite & Shape of Water are way more accessible, straight forward, narratives compared to The Green Knight lol

The Green Knight has plenty of “political and social appeal”. You gotta watch it.

I saw it opening weekend.

Profile picture
    annieholl
    Topics:

Parasite & Shape of Water are way more accessible, straight forward, narratives compared to The Green Knight lol

“Accessible, straightforward” has nothing to do with it. They’re genre films with niche appeal that don’t fit the “stilted drama” stereotype of an “Oscar film”. Again, TGK probably won’t hit in BP (who knows though), but there have been a lot more unconventional films where performances have gotten in. But ma’am you keep arguing with yourself, this is my stop.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

They’re genre films with niche appeal that don’t fit the “stilted drama” stereotype of an “Oscar film”.

Borat is a flat out Comedy. Nothing niche about it lol 😂 The comparison to The Green Knight honestly doesn’t make sense.

Profile picture
    annieholl
    Topics:

Comedy is a genre, hun. Slapstick comedy in mockumentary style and thus “niche” for the Academy. But since you clearly missed the “Bakalova isn’t in an Oscar film” war of last year, here’s some brownie points for watching TGK and missing the subtext: 😉

By all means do go off, what’s the fun of GD without some heavy sprinklings of “willful misunderstanding”: 😉

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Comedy is a genre, hun. Slapstick comedy in mockumentary style and thus “niche” for the Academy.

The original Borat was nominated for an Oscar lol so no, it wasn’t “niche” for voters

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Borat benefitted from a weak year where contenders like West Side Story (in the case of Supporting Actress) and Dune (Adapted Screenplay) were pushed to this year and couldn’t stop it from getting in those categories. If COVID hadn’t happened, I doubt either would happen

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Borat benefitted from a weak year

This user is arguing that Borat is “niche” though. Whether the year was weak or not, the categorization is inaccurate. Especially comparing it to an A24 art house movie lol

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Borat benefitted from a weak year where contenders like West Side Story (in the case of Supporting Actress) and Dune (Adapted Screenplay) were pushed to this year and couldn’t stop it from getting in those categories. If COVID hadn’t happened, I doubt either would happen

I don’t know if I agree that Borat is niche for the Oscars obviously but it is implicit in your post that it’s the sort of film that was unlikely to happen. I think the take-away for me is that it did happen. I do get the argument that things start to seem much less odd to happen once certain things already have. We can even use examples of non-niche films: Judas and the Black Messiah is definitely far more radical (politically speaking) than the Academy generally allows. It makes one hopeful for more leftist films getting in, perhaps.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

This user is arguing that Borat is “niche” though. Whether the year was weak or not, the categorization is inaccurate. Especially comparing it to an A24 art house movie lol

In that case, then yeah how tf is it niche

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

In that case, then yeah how tf is it niche

Eh, this is all such a silly semantic argument. The important point AnnieHoll made, if we put “niche” aside, is that what is thought of as an Oscar film has changed. I do agree with that, though The Green Knight is certainly not making BP. Every year it feels like some things that would never have happened before are happening. Even some things we don’t discuss, like the shoestring budget indie Moonlight winning over Hollywood-tale juggernaut La La Land. Or a black comedy like Parasite winning. Sure the straightforward narratives are preferred but then you have a film like The Tree of Life pop up (obviously an infrequent occurrence but still). The stars align for a very non-Oscar film all the time. Especially in the acting categories of late.

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Eh, this is all such a silly semantic argument. The important point AnnieHoll made, if we put “niche” aside, is that what is thought of as an Oscar film has changed.

The Green Knight will NOT be a major Oscar player lol. Nor is it comparable to a mainstream Comedy like Borat 😂 No important point was made whatsoever wtf

Profile picture
    samson
    Topics:

The Green Knight will NOT be a major Oscar player lol. Nor is it comparable to a mainstream Comedy like Borat 😂 No important point was made whatsoever wtf

can you read? literally nobody said it’s going to be a major oscar player. damn you’re stupid

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Let chaos reign in the Best Actor thread for once!

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.