Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Well a very kind user on here sent me the script. I wouldn’t say it’s terrible but just not good. There has been rewrites and Leo took his time before signing on so that’s the only saving grace I have as a lifelong Stan of his. Im hoping it’s drastically different than what I read. I’m way more into his next role than this.

Yeah I’m not a Leo stan (just an ordinary…fan lol) and I’ve read the script too, but I still am befuddled that you’re taking it so seriously! Climate change matters a great deal to Leo, he worked with McKay on the revisions. McKay also worked with David Sirota (who knows his shit!) on the revisions. Have a little faith! Almost every great screenplay starts out with a terrible first draft—maybe that was it! OK, it was a little too detailed for a first draft, but who cares?! Maybe McKay is the sort of writer who needs 30 drafts, and the first 10 are all crap. Big deal!

Have some faith, Leo will pull thru 🙂 He doesn’t need that much faith tbh, but just to lift your spirits!

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Clifton Collins, Jr. gives me Demián Bichir vibes. The underrated industry vet in a small Indie that manages to breakthrough in the Actor category.

I like this comparison because from the 4 reviews Jockey has gotten, Collins got very high praise to gentle praise (ranging from 70 to 90 MC)

But it also reminds me of how cruelly the Academy has snubbed Bichir ever since he first got in. It’s so sad. He’s given fantastic performance one after the other and been overlooked. What more do they want?!?! 🙁

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

I really think Don’t Look Up could get in for Picture without Leo getting in for Actor. It just doesn’t seem like a role they would go for.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

I like how some of y’all are quoting this as if you wouldn’t switch instantly if he wins Volpi Cup lmao.

He’s indeed coming!

Not Really no shade against Dr Strange but the Oscars are months away calling someone the person to beat when all contenders are not even to be seen is far fetched. This category has heavy hitters a volpi cup is not good enough in a pandemic award season it led Vanessa Kirby who won the volpi cup to no other wins.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Benedict Cumberbatch is still the one to beat. He doesn’t necessarily need the Volpi Cup. Of course it always helps. His role in The Power of the Dog required physical capabilities that he took part of as mentioned in the article: “Cumberbatch had gone to Montana himself several times before shooting, learning everything from roping to braiding to horsework—all new skills to him.” There is also the point in the article which mentions Campion introduced Cumberbatch to the crew as Phill so he could stay in character throughout the filming process.

The laboring and method embodiment Cumberbatch imbues with commitment is reminiscent of other physical-based performances that won Best Actor in the past: Joaquin Phoenix, Matthew McConaughey, Leonardo DiCaprio, etc. Cumberbatch also has a narrative of his own that is tied to Jane Campion since this is her first ever lead male directed film. Word on the street of this revelation will pass along the industry and build the narrative that Cumerbatch’s role will be incredibly special for Campion to choose Cumberbatch as her first ever male lead. I don’t remember or know if a female directed performance for a male character has ever won any acting Oscars.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

Benedict Cumberbatch is still the one to beat. He doesn’t necessarily need the Volpi Cup. Of course it always helps. His role in The Power of the Dog required physical capabilities that he took part of as mentioned in the article: “Cumberbatch had gone to Montana himself several times before shooting, learning everything from roping to braiding to horsework—all new skills to him.” There is also the point in the article which mentions Campion introduced Cumberbatch to the crew as Phill so he could stay in character throughout the filming process. The laboring and method embodiment Cumberbatch imbues with commitment is reminiscent of other physical-based performances that won Best Actor in the past: Joaquin Phoenix, Matthew McConaughey, Leonardo DiCaprio, etc. Cumberbatch also has a narrative of his own that is tied to Jane Campion since this is her first ever lead male directed film. Word on the street of this revelation will pass along the industry and build the narrative that Cumerbatch’s role will be incredibly special for Campion to choose Cumberbatch as her first ever male lead. I don’t remember or know if a female directed performance for a male character has ever won any acting Oscars.

I do feel very good about his chances. Apart from Will Smith, who else is a challenger?

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I do feel very good about his chances. Apart from Will Smith, who else is a challenger?

Cooper because his character goes mad by the end and if he wins for anything I think it’d be this or else he’ll have to wait for Maestro. He ain’t winning for Soggy

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

He ain’t winning for Soggy

If the supporting competition is weaker and the film hits with voters, why not?

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

If the supporting competition is weaker and the film hits with voters, why not?

Because of who’s standing in his way

FYC

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

This category has heavy hitters a volpi cup is not good enough in a pandemic award season it led Vanessa Kirby who won the volpi cup to no other wins.

I didn’t say the Volpi Cup would mean he’s a lock to win though, I meant that people who are doubting in this thread will have a sudden change of heart on his chances if that happens.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Benedict Cumberbatch is still the one to beat. He doesn’t necessarily need the Volpi Cup. Of course it always helps. His role in The Power of the Dog required physical capabilities that he took part of as mentioned in the article: “Cumberbatch had gone to Montana himself several times before shooting, learning everything from roping to braiding to horsework—all new skills to him.” There is also the point in the article which mentions Campion introduced Cumberbatch to the crew as Phill so he could stay in character throughout the filming process. The laboring and method embodiment Cumberbatch imbues with commitment is reminiscent of other physical-based performances that won Best Actor in the past: Joaquin Phoenix, Matthew McConaughey, Leonardo DiCaprio, etc. Cumberbatch also has a narrative of his own that is tied to Jane Campion since this is her first ever lead male directed film. Word on the street of this revelation will pass along the industry and build the narrative that Cumerbatch’s role will be incredibly special for Campion to choose Cumberbatch as her first ever male lead. I don’t remember or know if a female directed performance for a male character has ever won any acting Oscars.

This + He could also be a huge contender for critic awards.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Benedict doesn’t need to win the Volpi to be the frontrunner. His performance and movie will do the work. I also have a feeling the Volpi will go to someone outside the Oscar conversation. I think The Power of the Dog will win the Golden Lion, and if that happens, neither Benedict nor Kirsten will be eligible for the Volpi. Unless the movie pulls a The Favourite, winning Grand Jury Prize + Volpi.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Denzel Washington is Cumberbatch’s biggest challenger playing Lord Macbeth. The role is juicy as everyone has known for centuries and Washington could swoop in as the critical darling if the performance is universally acclaimed. Problem is there is not a prominent history of Best Actor winners coming from essential literary works. Nobody has won for playing iconic characters from Romeo & Juliet, Little Women, The Great Gatsby, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre etc. If there is one person to break that mold though it would be thespian titan Denzel Washington which is why I have him at second. The Tragedy of Macbeth also looks like it might not even be a Best Picture contender but it is far too early to tell.

Will Smith is in a sports biopic playing Richard Williams but that’s about all he has going for? I understand why people are predicting him since biopics are extremely popular at the Oscars but winners like Eddie Redmayne, Rami Malek, Gary Oldman all had their films nominated for Best Picture. King Richard at the moment doesn’t have high odds in the prediction center as most are inclined to think Warner Bros will prioritize Dune. The pedigree of Abraham Lincoln, Freddie Mercury, Winston Churchill, King George VI, Ray Charles, and Harvey Milk (just naming a few real life depictions of Best Actor winners) have legacies that are much more relevant in academic scholarships and pop culture than the profile of Richard Williams.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Richard Williams doesn’t have a very high profile, not a lot of people know who he is and probably only know him if they’re deep into tennis or sports in general. Granted, neither does Leigh Anne Tuohy and nor did she have any profile until the movie or the book it was based on came out. Biopic performances that win are usually portraying higher profile people as Crabbie said. King Richard has to either be nominated for Picture or Will Smith has to be so much better than everyone else in competition. I can’t really see either of those scenarios happening.

FYC

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Clifton Collins, Jr. gives me Demián Bichir vibes. The underrated industry vet in a small Indie that manages to breakthrough in the Actor category.

Eastwood is his father-in-law. So think of the Eastwood voter bloc that is very real. Also, diversity from Academy voters familiar with him in urban productions the Academy wouldn’t dare touch.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.