Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 496 through 500 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Tiff called Benedict Cumberbatch’s performance in ‘The Electrical Life of Louis Wain’ as his career-best and I think we’re underestimating this movie/performance.

Did they say anything about Claire Foy?

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Tiff called Benedict Cumberbatch’s performance in ‘The Electrical Life of Louis Wain’ as his career-best and I think we’re underestimating this movie/performance.

Whilst I wouldn’t put too much stock in a festival selling a performance in one of its films, Cumberbatch delivering a good performance in Louis Wain would help his TPOTD campaign by solidifying the ‘his year’ narrative that sometimes helps push an actor to an award. I would agree he’s being underestimated for it, but TPOTD looks too strong to shift as his main push at the minute. The only way I could see us underestimating Louis Wain is if it somehow splits the Cumberbatch vote and he misses for both, but with Netflix having him as a main push I doubt that happens.

Profile picture
    Ava96
    Topics:

Did they say anything about Claire Foy?

no, sadly

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Whilst I wouldn’t put too much stock in a festival selling a performance in one of its films, Cumberbatch delivering a good performance in Louis Wain would help his TPOTD campaign by solidifying the ‘his year’ narrative that sometimes helps push an actor to an award. I would agree he’s being underestimated for it, but TPOTD looks too strong to shift as his main push at the minute. The only way I could see us underestimating Louis Wain is if it somehow splits the Cumberbatch vote and he misses for both, but with Netflix having him as a main push I doubt that happens.

Louis Wain is a pretty fascinating character: whimsical, quirky, comical. I can see Cumberbatch being good in it because at least early on in his career he showed his strengths with eccentricity & humor. If it wasn’t for TPOTD, I would’ve considered him strong for Louis Wain. Definitely his year, hope it works in his favor and not against him.

Maybe it’ll end up being a Kate Winslet in The Reader situation (except that Revolutionary Road was better than The Reader as a film, imo). He gets in for the BP nomineee even if it’s the lesser performance. Doesn’t sound “lesser” though.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Louis Wain is a pretty fascinating character: whimsical, quirky, comical. I can see Cumberbatch being good in it because at least early on in his career he showed his strengths with eccentricity & humor. If it wasn’t for TPOTD, I would’ve considered him strong for Louis Wain. Definitely his year, hope it works in his favor and not against him. Maybe it’ll end up being a Kate Winslet in The Reader situation (except that Revolutionary Road was better than The Reader as a film, imo). He gets in for the BP nomineee even if it’s the lesser performance. Doesn’t sound “lesser” though.

Oh yeah, I’m excited for Louis Wain don’t get me wrong. I don’t doubt he’ll deliver a good performance and you’re right Wain sounds really interesting. It’s like we’ve both said though, it’s most likely going to prop up TPOTD which looks a much stronger contender overall. I don’t think ‘lesser’ will be a fair term if one performance is great and one is Oscar-worthy great, but I anticipate TPOTD will be the latter and the one getting him career/ year ‘best’ write-ups.

Viewing 5 posts - 496 through 500 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.