Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Music Forever
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Furthermore the divisiveness of the film itself will keep him away from the nomination

Yep it’s very unlikely. Too bad…

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Yep it’s very unlikely. Too bad…

Have you seen it?

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Nope but I know he’s playing a mass murderer so yeah tough sell.

Anyway, I can’t wait to watch it and see him act batshit crazy.

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

Early August Predictions:

Best Actor:
    1: Benedict Cumberbatch – The Power of the Dog
    2: Denzel Washington – The Tragedy of Macbeth
    3: Leonardo DiCaprio – Don’t Look Up
    4: Will Smith – King Richard
    5: Michael B. Jordan – A Journal for Jordan

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

I’m expecting Tick Tick Boom to be Netflix’s Dolemite is My Name this year, with Garfield getting lots of acclaim and a huge push but ultimately, neither him or the film will get nominated.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

It just aired a Don’t Look Up commercial teaser during the Olympics, and DiCaprio looked great and incredibly showy in those 20 seconds alone.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

DiCaprio doing his yelling shtick again. (The bathroom scene in the teaser was basically him berating himself in his acting trailer in OUATIH). His Oscar nomination is secured.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I’m expecting Tick Tick Boom to be Netflix’s Dolemite is My Name this year, with Garfield getting lots of acclaim and a huge push but ultimately, neither him or the film will get nominated.

Maybe. Yes it’s possible. But on the other hand it’s hard to compare Rudy Ray Moore with Jonathan Larson. The former is basically unknown (especially to white people), the latter is a queer story from the creator of Rent that white people have heard of. It’s the sort of film Broadway types would love—and not even Broadway types but just people who like Rent and are drawn in by AIDS-era stories about the striving queer writer who made one of the most acclaimed musicals of all time. You might still be right, and Dolemite was very good—but I can see a path for this, and I kinda never did for that.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Yes, DiCaprio’s nod is assured.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Maybe. Yes it’s possible. But on the other hand it’s hard to compare Rudy Ray Moore with Jonathan Larson. The former is basically unknown (especially to white people), the latter is a queer story from the creator of Rent that white people have heard of. It’s the sort of film Broadway types would love—and not even Broadway types but just people who like Rent and are drawn in by AIDS-era stories about the striving queer writer who made one of the most acclaimed musicals of all time. You might still be right, and Dolemite was very good—but I can see a path for this, and I kinda never did for that.

On the other side of that coin, Eddie Murphy is a huge movie star and comedy legend that was making a comeback with Dolemite while Andrew Garfield is…… not.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

DiCaprio doing his yelling shtick again. (The bathroom scene in the teaser was basically him berating himself in his acting trailer in OUATIH). His Oscar nomination is secured.

Every time. Every. Time.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Every time. Every. Time.

Meanwhile his more nuanced and subtle performance in Shutter Island gets completely ignored.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

it’s hard to compare Rudy Ray Moore with Jonathan Larson. The former is basically unknown (especially to white people), the latter is a queer story from the creator of Rent that white people have heard of. It’s the sort of film Broadway types would love—and not even Broadway types but just people who like Rent and are drawn in by AIDS-era stories about the striving queer writer who made one of the most acclaimed musicals of all time.

Umm. Jonathan Larson didn’t die of AIDS and wasn’t HIV positive— he suffered an aortic dissection, believed to have been caused by undiagnosed Marfan syndrome. I don’t think the fact that he worked and died during the height of “the AIDS era” will play a significant part in how people respond to the movie .

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Umm. Jonathan Larson didn’t die of AIDS and wasn’t HIV positive— he suffered an aortic dissection, believed to have been caused by undiagnosed Marfan syndrome. I don’t think the fact that he worked and died during the height of “the AIDS era” will play a significant part in how people respond to the movie .

I don’t think that’s what was necessarily said or meant; ‘AIDS-era’ and dying due to AIDS complications are two different things. I think he only mentioned the phrase ‘AIDS-era’ because there’s a sort of added nuance and poignancy of Jonathan Larson being a successful queer artist during the 80s when many people who belonged to the LGBTQ community were suffering with or dying from AIDS (this was noted in comparison to Rudy Ray Moore, who is arguably somewhat lesser known to the general public). There’s also the fact that Rent is about characters who live with AIDS and how the disease coincides with their daily lives and relationships. Likewise, one of the characters in TTB is HIV-positive, so mentioning this story being set during the AIDS epidemic is relevant to analyzing how well it will connect with audiences and how well the Academy will respond to it. I don’t think Kaziz was implying Jonathan Larson died from AIDS.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.