Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I don’t think that’s what was said or meant; ‘AIDS-era’ and dying due to AIDS complications are two different things. I think he only mentioned the phrase ‘AIDS-era’ because there’s a sort of added nuance and poignancy of Jonathan Larson being a successful queer artist during the 80s when many people who belonged to the LGBTQ community were suffering with or dying from AIDS. There’s also the fact that Rent is about characters who live with AIDS and how the disease coincides with their daily lives and relationships. Likewise, one of the characters in TTB is HIV-positive, so mentioning this story being set during the AIDS epidemic is relevant to analyzing how well it will connect with audiences and how well the Academy will respond to it. I don’t think Kaziz was implying Jonathan Larson died from AIDS.

Perhaps he wasn’t. I’ve read several short pieces describing the movie which incorrectly state that Jonathan Larson died of AIDS.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Perhaps he wasn’t. I’ve read several short pieces describing the movie which incorrectly state that Jonathan Larson died of AIDS.

I have, as well. I get that Larson wrote a musical where AIDS was a driving plot point and he passed away around the recency of the AIDS epidemic, but people really shouldn’t assume that he died from it and should do better checking of their information. Awful journalism.

FYC -
    • The Power of the Dog - All categories, especially Picture/Director/Adapted Screenplay (Jane Campion), Best Supporting Actress (Kirsten Dunst), Best Supporting Actor (Kodi Smit-McPhee), and Best Cinematography (Ari Wegner)
    • Passing - Best Actress (Tessa Thompson), Best Supporting Actress (Ruth Negga)
    • The Lost Daughter in all categories, especially Picture/Director/Adapted Screenplay (Maggie Gyllenhaal), Best Actress (Olivia Colman), and Best Supporting Actress (Jessie Buckley)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

There’s also the fact that Rent is about characters who live with AIDS and how the disease coincides with their daily lives and relationships. Likewise, one of the characters in TTB is HIV-positive, so mentioning this story being set during the AIDS epidemic is relevant to analyzing how well it will connect with audiences and how well the Academy will respond to it. I don’t think Kaziz was implying Jonathan Larson died from AIDS.

Thank you, yes this is exactly what I meant. I actually didn’t know how Larson died at all, I don’t know anything about him tbh, I just know him as the writer of Rent, a story that’s arguably about the AIDS-era & the counterculture movement in response to the govt. So I kinda assumed that it would be a part of the story.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

Maybe. Yes it’s possible. But on the other hand it’s hard to compare Rudy Ray Moore with Jonathan Larson. The former is basically unknown (especially to white people), the latter is a queer story from the creator of Rent that white people have heard of. It’s the sort of film Broadway types would love—and not even Broadway types but just people who like Rent and are drawn in by AIDS-era stories about the striving queer writer who made one of the most acclaimed musicals of all time. You might still be right, and Dolemite was very good—but I can see a path for this, and I kinda never did for that.

Yeah, it’s worth noting that I am not a Broadway guy or a Rent fan so I could be really underestimating how much love and excitement there is for this. The trailer was good and I think Miranda being involved will automatically get it a lot more attention than Dolemite, but right now I don’t see it getting any nods.

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

DiCaprio doing his yelling shtick again. (The bathroom scene in the teaser was basically him berating himself in his acting trailer in OUATIH). His Oscar nomination is secured.

Funny how DiCaprio can be okay and get a nomination while others have to give world-changing performances and still not get nominated, e.g Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler. The academy is so lazy with their name-checking nominations. No wonder Amy Adams has 7 nominations.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Funny how DiCaprio can be okay and get a nomination while others have to give world-changing performances and still not get nominated, e.g Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler. The academy is so lazy with their name-checking nominations. No wonder Amy Adams has 7 nominations.

I agree about Gyllenhaal being shamefully snubbed for Nightcrawler, Stronger, and other incredible performances, but instead of DiCaprio, i would focus on and be more upset about actual mediocre performances like Bradley Cooper first three nominations (Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, American Sniper).

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Bradley Cooper’s nomination for American Sniper is a joke. Easily his worst performance and honestly in the conversation for the worst acting nomination of the decade

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

All tea, no shade. It also explains why Meryl has 50,000 nominations.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Shouty DiCaprio is back? We have a lock

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Academy is obviously lazy with noms.Which is why we can predict noms long before the movies are out. Which is why Oscar bait movies exist, filmmakers know what to do to enter Oscar race.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

AMPAS name-checks and over-nominates some movies while snubbing other is nothing new. Emmys are 1000 times worse. There’s no excuse for nominating everyone and their mother from 1 show’s cast (I’m looking at you GOT S8, The Handmaid’s Tale Season 3, etc) while snubbing other show actors. No cast is so superior to other casts that deserves every friggin extended cameo nominated.

Yes, Don’t Look Up looks like American Hustle 2.0 as far as over-nominations go.  Hamcaprio is happening.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Well to be fair, every performance Leo gave since Gatsby was nomination- or even win-worthy. There are many cases where it’s way worse that somehow get called out less.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

RIDERS OF JUSTICE:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Mads Mikkelsen)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Nicolas Bro)
    - Best International Feature

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I mean, as much as I love Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (I think it’s in the conversation of Tarantino’s best), Leo’s nomination wasn’t really necessary. I would’ve rather put in Sandler, Egerton, or De Niro in his place

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Thank you, yes this is exactly what I meant. I actually didn’t know how Larson died at all, I don’t know anything about him tbh, I just know him as the writer of Rent, a story that’s arguably about the AIDS-era & the counterculture movement in response to the govt. So I kinda assumed that it would be a part of the story.

Sorry. I had misunderstood you.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.