Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 501 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
crabbie
Sir Pierce
  • Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

1. Smith

2. Cumberbatch

3. Washington

4. Cooper

5. Isaac

Movie-lover overall.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Would you consider Joaquin Phoenix in Joker an unlikable character? I know the film tries to make you empathize with him, but he’s still not a good person. This is just a general question to everyone.

I never considered Arthur an unlikable character, just a disturbing person with many psychological problems and a terrible life in general, those things make you sympathize with him, I think this was one of the reasons many people hate the movie, but I love it just like I love Taxi Driver and A Clockwork Orange, similar movies.

Profile picture
    Watcher
    Topics:

Likeable characters as a factor in isolation don’t matter at all…this is such a weird and irrelevant tangent we’ve gone down. What matters is their portrayal and how well that’s delivered (and in many cases an extremely gifted actor will inspire a range of emotions to be projected on a character in different moments, regardless of morality).

This Will Smith hype has major alarm bells of the similar attitudes to Close, Boseman etc in recent years. Academy voters will pick the best performance and clearly detest the critics and industry media telling them it’s someone’s time based on a wider narrative unless they think that’s true. If there’s a better performance to come from the remaining contenders (which include some of the latest industry greats) the Will Smith train is very easily derailed. KR might even have a better shot at supporting actress.

This race is still very much open.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Likeable characters as a factor in isolation don’t matter at all…this is such a weird and irrelevant tangent we’ve gone down. What matters is their portrayal and how well that’s delivered (and in many cases an extremely gifted actor will inspire a range of emotions to be projected on a character in different moments, regardless of morality).

This Will Smith hype has major alarm bells of the similar attitudes to Close, Boseman etc in recent years. Academy voters will pick the best performance and clearly detest the critics and industry media telling them it’s someone’s time based on a wider narrative unless they think that’s true. If there’s a better performance to come from the remaining contenders (which include some of the latest industry greats) the Will Smith train is very easily derailed. KR might even have a better shot at supporting actress.

This race is still very much open.

I thought the hype was for Cumberbatch

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

Dunno I’m going with whoever wins BAFTA. Not making the same mistake twice.

Profile picture
    hillslight
    Topics:

Is Peter Dinklage still happening?

Profile picture
    Watcher
    Topics:

Is Peter Dinklage still happening?

Pretty strong likelihood of a nom

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

I will laugh if Bradley Cooper gets nominated cause god y’all really do the most when it comes to him.

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

Profile picture
    Watcher
    Topics:

I will laugh if Bradley Cooper gets nominated cause god y’all really do the most when it comes to him.

I’m sure he will. The thing is you only have to say it’s likely he’ll get nominated because of any normal logical reason for predicting an actor like: it’s a baity role, in a former BP/BD/BS winner’s film, and opposite a two time actress winner, AND he’s in another likely upcoming BP/BD/BS contender’s film… and everyone will jump down a rabbit hole screaming about how “hE’s NoT oVeRdUe”…like ok?? Show me where I said that was the reason he’d be nominated?? If anyone else had this at their back going into this awards season you’d have them in all your predictions easily.

I don’t even back Mr Cooper like that but really, he’s got a big season coming up here

Profile picture
    Ava96
    Topics:

Anne Thompson:

“[…]but one thing is certain: Benedict Cumberbatch’s surly cattle rancher in “The Power of the Dog” and Kristen Stewart’s caged Princess Diana in “Spencer” will be in the running for their first Oscar wins.

[…] Critics adore this elegantly wrought hardscrabble drama, and the Academy will also appreciate its virtues, from Campion’s writing and directing and Ari Wegner’s ace cinematography to Jonny Greenwood’s haunting violins. Actors will embrace Cumberbatch, who landed a nomination for “The Imitation Game” and should return to contention for his tortured, leathery ranger, whose internal conflicts erupt into cruelty against his brother’s wife and student son (Kodi Smit-McPhee). They and Plemons could all earn their first Oscar nods.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/benedict-cumberbatch-kristen-stewart-first-oscars-1234662327/

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Sorry Anne, but King Willy and Princess Kristen will be the royal couple of the Oscars.

Will Smith is coming for the wigs. It isn’t as obvious as Kristen but you’ll see it soon enough. It’s mostly due to people still sleeping on King Richard’s strength as a player.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Spoiler Alert: I have a major plot twist for who will become the frontrunner next month. Shut up with this Cucumberbench, William Smithee and Cooper Bradley nonsense. Who’s even heard of those actors? Who would watch a film about a Dog? and who’s even heard of the King Richard – what country did he even rule? And why is Guilermo del Toro making a film about an alley in the Bronx?

Nah, nah, nah. Here’s the Best Actor winner you’ve been searching for.

I hear his only competition is from another MAJOR release this year.

Dwayne Johnson in the Jungle Cruz.

Here is a review from The Hollyrude Reporter about him.

“Dwayne Johnson re-confirms his chameleon-like qualities, giving one of his finest screen performances”

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Bradley Cooper is overdue after nominations from BP contenders. He should have won for A Star Is Born. But GD users hate him for reasons best known to them.

I’m happy for the ageless Will Smith though. He deserves an Oscar

Laga Gaga for Best Actress.

House of Gucci for best picture.

Belfast for everything - Best Picture win

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

This isn’t really true. In hindisght, most people regard Bohemian Rhapsody as an overrated BP Winner. And Vice has very mixed reviews. And Green Book just seems to be getting more and more hated as the years go by. Out of all the performances that year, Bradley Cooper’s is the best. Most critics would probably agree with that. And even the GoldDerby voters that year voted him as giving the best performance. I think most people looking over the Oscars would agree that Bradley Cooper probably should have won that year.

This is NOT important, but there is a lot wrong with this.

1. BoRhap didn’t win Picture.

2. Vice didn’t get mixed reviews. It got polarizing reviews. Very different. The former is what mediocre movies like The Laundromat get. It means that there are some people who like it, some people who dislike it, and many in between. The latter is what movies like Joker and Jojo Rabbit get. It’s either you love it or you hate it with little room in between, and thus very controversial. People really need to learn the difference…

3. Is Green Book getting more hated? Genuine question. It seems that it is kinda in the same position as Shakespeare in Love: the movie is respected (less so for GB, I’ll admit, but still), but the Best Picture win is hated.

4. This is the big thing wrong with what you said… Saying that Bradley Cooper’s performance was the best that year isn’t wrong, but it’s definitely a minority opinion. But to say that “most critics would probably agree with that” is actually objectively incorrect. Ethan Hawke got over two dozen critics awards wins, which nobody else came close to. But, regardless of that, the closest to Hawke was Bale. And the next was Malek. Cooper was fourth. I never understand how people can get these things so incorrect… Just look at the Metacritic awards tally.

And as for your last claim about Cooper, saying that he is probably looked upon as the best of the year. No. Just, no. The Ethan Hawke love is still real, and for those who don’t love him, there is Christian Bale. As for the general public, I’d even say they’d go with Rami Malek over Bradley Cooper. I love Cooper’s performance, but I’d say it’s probably a consensus fourth (which I agree with). And the GoldDerby Award… yeah, I dunno. Maybe stan voting, maybe it was a fluke, but I don’t think that alone is evidence enough to prove your point when there was so much else wrong with it.

Oscars FYC:
    Belfast (Pic, Balfe, Dornan, Hinds, Screenplay)
    CODA (Kotsur, Screenplay)
    Dune (Pic, Villeneuve, Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Sound, VFX)
    Free Guy (VFX)
    Passing (Negga)
    The Power of the Dog (Pic, Campion, Cumberbatch, Dunst, Smit-McPhee, Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing)
    tick, tick, Boom! (Garfield)
    West Side Story (Pic, Spielberg, Zegler, DeBose, Moreno, Faist, Screenplay, Cinematography, Costume, Editing, Production Design, Sound)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.