Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 501 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
Sir Pierce
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Maybe if Nightmare Alley had premiered at Venice he would have increased the power of his overdue narrative among the press and industry peers. The Volpi Cup also would have been in play since the jury doesn’t seem to have a bias against highly dislikable characters. No festivals for Nightmare Alley significantly decreases the momentum for Bradley Cooper and to an extent, the film itself.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    Oleageoun
    Topics:

Maybe among awards followers Bradley Cooper is overdue but to most normal movie fans he’s not. He’s not considered in the league of Dicario, Phoenix and Bale, who are far and above the best actors of that generation. Then you even got guys like Michael Shannon and Mahershala Ali who started late but are still better actors than Bradley Cooper. In fact most people still think Cooper’s is similar to guys like Wahlberg. Its because not one of his oscar movies are classics. SLP comes the close, but even in that JLaw overshadows him.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Bradley Cooper isn’t overdue for anything. The only acting Oscar nomination he deserved is the one for ASIB.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The general public does not think Cooper is overdue as someone like DiCaprio or Phoenix who they practically grew up with. Cooper entered the award circuit MUCH later than those men, getting his first nomination in 2013. I would even say the general public finds Amy Adams more overdue than Cooper. Even among cinephiles, Cooper is not really believed to be overdue in the same caliber of Brad Pitt, Laura Dern, Michelle Williams, Willem Dafoe, Ethan Hawke etc.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Yeah, honestly, I understand his overdue narrative, due to him having four acting nominations, but he just doesn’t seem overdue. Like, he’s the least overdue you can be while still being overdue (I think anyone with three or more nominations is overdue). Whenever my mom and I talk about Bradley Cooper, she always seems to forget that he’s been nominated four times, and when I remind her, she is incredulous. Most people don’t see him as an extraordinary actor because the only Oscar-worthy performances he’s given are in SLP and ASIB compared to DiCaprio’s and Bale’s and Phoenix’s half dozen.

Oscars FYC:
    Belfast (Pic, Balfe, Dornan, Hinds, Screenplay)
    CODA (Kotsur, Screenplay)
    Dune (Pic, Villeneuve, Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Sound, VFX)
    Free Guy (VFX)
    Passing (Negga)
    The Power of the Dog (Pic, Campion, Cumberbatch, Dunst, Smit-McPhee, Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing)
    tick, tick, Boom! (Garfield)
    West Side Story (Pic, Spielberg, Zegler, DeBose, Moreno, Faist, Screenplay, Cinematography, Costume, Editing, Production Design, Sound)

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Cumby stans, I see you! Total rubbish to try to make Will Smith a Boseman 2.0 and Cumby a Hopkins 2.0 by extention. Not the same at all and here’s why:

Cumberbatch isn’t getting Hopkins-level reviews. End of.

Smith has reviews and is in the movie that’s going to play well with audience, American AMPAS, International AMPAS. Unlike that crap Ma’s that couldn’t even get Picture nom despite the climate (I have no doubt that internationals – bless them! – didn’t care for that crap cause they don’t care for American politics, but looks like American voters didn’t care either – bless them!). KR will get Picture, Supporting Actress at least. It’s a movie about an iconic family, iconic success that are known to everyone and relatable to everyone. Keep underestimating KR and Smith just because they have wide appeal aka not a high art for the few chosen.

So I don’t care how many festivals honor Cumberbatch cause Harvey took him to every big and Palookaville fest for Immitation Game too and he wasn’t even top 2 (it was Redcarpet vs Keaton). It’s Smith’s to lose. he has the role and he has the movie. Unlike Boseman who had neither.

Profile picture
    Ava96
    Topics:

Cumby stans, I see you! Total rubbish to try to make Will Smith a Boseman 2.0 and Cumby a Hopkins 2.0 by extention

ok Chill:))

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

Where did that comparison come from?

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/NextBestPicture/status/1434932072347537410?s=19

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/NextBestPicture/status/1434932072347537410?s=19

Also – https://twitter.com/nextbestpicture/status/1434932674817372160?s=21

Bern thinkIng that if Don’t Look Up falls short, King Richard is poised to be the BP winner to Campion’s BD victory.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

In

Will Smith (“King Richard”)
    Benedict Cumberbatch (“The Power of the Dog”)

Probably In

Denzel Washington (“The Tragedy of Macbeth”)
    Leonardo DiCaprio (“Don’t Look Up”)

Limbo

Peter Dinklage (“Cyrano”)
    Bradley Cooper (“Nightmare Alley”)
    Joaquin Phoenix (“C’mon C’mon”)
    Adam Driver (“House of Gucci”)
    Cooper Hoffman (“Soggy Bottom”)

Out

Oscar Isaac (“The Card Counter”) 😭

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I’m not sure of a release date, but since it’s played a few festivals are we underestimating Jim Broadbent for The Duke?

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Cumby stans, I see you! Total rubbish to try to make Will Smith a Boseman 2.0 and Cumby a Hopkins 2.0 by extention. Not the same at all and here’s why: Cumberbatch isn’t getting Hopkins-level reviews. End of. Smith has reviews and is in the movie that’s going to play well with audience, American AMPAS, International AMPAS. Unlike that crap Ma’s that couldn’t even get Picture nom despite the climate (I have no doubt that internationals – bless them! – didn’t care for that crap cause they don’t care for American politics, but looks like American voters didn’t care either – bless them!). KR will get Picture, Supporting Actress at least. It’s a movie about an iconic family, iconic success that are known to everyone and relatable to everyone. Keep underestimating KR and Smith just because they have wide appeal aka not a high art for the few chosen. So I don’t care how many festivals honor Cumberbatch cause Harvey took him to every big and Palookaville fest for Immitation Game too and he wasn’t even top 2 (it was Redcarpet vs Keaton). It’s Smith’s to lose. he has the role and he has the movie. Unlike Boseman who had neither.

A reminder that Benedict Cumberbatch despite being good in the role, should have never been nominated for an Oscar for The Imitation Game when superior and more memorable performances such as Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler (maybe Gyllenhaal’s greatest performance ever until now), David Oyelowo in Selma, and Ralph Fiennes in The Grand Budapest Hotel were all completely snubbed and left out of the conversation.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

A reminder that Benedict Cumberbatch despite being good in the role, should have never been nominated for an Oscar for The Imitation Game when superior and more memorable performances such as Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler (maybe Gyllenhaal’s greatest performance ever until now), David Oyelowo in Selma, and Ralph Fiennes in The Grand Budapest Hotel were all completely snubbed and left out of the conversation.

This. I’d go so far as to say he’s not even that good in the first half – gets better in the second but there are parts of that performance I don’t like at all.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

To be fair to Cumberbatch, he was locked with Redcarpet and Keaton for a long time. Harvey conducted a long and aggressive campaign for him and the movie. It’s Cooper who pushed Jake in a too-weird-4-AMPAS movie out with his late entry that broke boxoffice records. Oywlowo didn’t have the right likeness and charisma to convince the voters as per Brutally Honest Voter surveys. Not sure what kept Fiennes out.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.