Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 501 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
Shrek Superslam
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Looking at the Lead acting categories, a common trend for both is looking at which nominee is playing the most likable or sympathetic person. There are definitely exceptions, as there is with any rule, but it’s an ongoing trend. Looking at years with split fields or upsets in Best Actor with this in mind, these particular races stand out the most.

2018: Rami Malek, playing an iconic singer who begins to discover his homosexuality during a time where homophobia is at an all-time high in the UK and eventually contracts and dies from AIDS, winning over Christian Bale, playing a war criminal Vice President who’s so ruthless even (at least some) Republicans hate him.

2016: Casey Affleck, playing a depressed, mentally unstable janitor who lost his children years before and has just lost his brother, winning over Denzel Washington, playing an alcoholic who cheats on his wife and has cheated on her multiple times and is aggressive with her and his son.

2014: Eddie Redmayne, playing Stephen Hawking as his career was beginning and right as his health started declining and his body becoming extremely frail, winning over Michael Keaton, playing a selfish and pretentious actor who finds some way to make everyone in his life hate him.

2002: Adrien Brody, playing a literal Holocaust survivor who loses his family while in captivity, winning over Daniel Day-Lewis, playing a straight-up psychopathic murderer gangster.

2001: Denzel Washington, playing a straight-up psychopathic murderer corrupt cop, winning over Russell Crowe, playing an extremely intelligent schizophrenic who has his life closely monitored by the US government as he does his studies.

Obviously the one exception here is Denzel Washington, but of course that happened under circumstances involving Russell Crowe’s actions. Of course, while there are winners here who do play straight up villains (DDL in TWBB for example) they usually are undeniable and sweep the season. Like with Actress, some of the losers have certain sympathetic qualities (Washington facing poverty, Keaton being a washed up actor), however they weren’t likable enough in the eyes of the Academy.

So looking at the contenders and trying to find the most likable or sympathetic character, Will Smith at least seems to be the one with that role. I know from reading these forums and talking to a couple of my friends who know more about sports than I do that he’s not considered the best person by a lot of people, however I don’t necessarily expect audiences to know or care about this. And apparently he has a performance that could pull it off. Benedict Cumberbatch has been raved about from people as well and the book is a winning part, but he’s not playing a good person, in fact his character is a pretty shitty one. He has one sympathetic quality in being a self-hating gay man, but that’s it. And from my understanding, Bradley Cooper doesn’t play a very likable character either and he eventually goes mad by the end (someone can correct me if I’m wrong).

There’s other contenders we could talk about, but I already spent a long time writing this post lol. While it’s not impossible that a villainous role wins this year, it would probably be smarter to go with the more likable sympathetic role. And with that, I officially move Will Smith to my #1 slot and King Richard goes on my Best Picture top 10.

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Looking at the Lead acting categories, a common trend for both is looking at which nominee is playing the most likable or sympathetic person. There are definitely exceptions, as there is with any rule, but it’s an ongoing trend.

Please tell me you’re not including Affleck’s MBTS character in the likeable ones. He also won despite he himself not being likeable.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Belfast is messing up categories. THR thinks Balfe and Dornan could go Lead so that Dench and Hinds could be in supporting. If Focus does that than they likely gave up on Soho actors and are rearranging belfast actors to cover as many categories as possible. Which means if Dornan makes it into Lead, who gets kciked out? Smith and Cumberbatch look locked so they stay. With Dornan in, only 2 spots left.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Dorian kicks out no one when the competition is too fierce unless Belfast is a top 2 contender even then I would say he will still miss because you already have Best Picture nominated actors (Smith, DiCaprio, Cooper, Cumberbatch). Dorian will get John David Washington’d at the end.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Please tell me you’re not including Affleck’s MBTS character in the likeable ones. He also won despite he himself not being likeable.

Sympathetic and likable do not go hand in hand all the time

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Dorian kicks out no one when the competition is too fierce unless Belfast is a top 2 contender even then I would say he will still miss because you already have Best Picture nominated actors (Smith, DiCaprio, Cooper, Cumberbatch). Dorian will get John David Washington’d at the end.

Haven’t seen the movie but of all Belfast cast that’s contending he seems like the easiest miss unless he goes Supporting after all.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Haven’t seen the movie but of all Belfast cast that’s contending he seems like the easiest miss unless he goes Supporting after all.

Why is Jude Hill being ignored in the campaign? Isn’t he the lead of the film anyways even if he isn’t the heart of the film rests in his character…it’s stupid for Focus to sideline him like this.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Why is Jude Hill being ignored in the campaign? Isn’t he the lead of the film anyways even if he isn’t the heart of the film rests in his character…it’s stupid for Focus to sideline him like this.

Boy. Girls fare better in both Lead and Supporting for some reason. Jojo’s lead was sidelined too. THR thinks they could fraud him in Supporting which would be shameful. He’s the lead treat him like one.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Perhaps Focus is looking back on how Roman Griffin Davis missed despite campaigned by Searchlight? They also perhaps aware that male lead actor branch are reluctant towards kids that they decide to not campaign him anyway??

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I can see Dornan kick out Cooper.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Cooper is overdue an actor snub when DiCaprio has been experiencing that pre-Oscar (The Departed, Titanic) and don’t get me started on Phoenix’s snubs when he was snubbed for sublime work in Her, which was a Best Picture nominee and won Original Screenplay.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I can see Dornan kick out Cooper.

Imagine Razzie darlings Stewart, Dornan and Johnson Oscar nominated in the same year lmao

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Imagine Razzie darlings Stewart, Dornan and Johnson Oscar nominated in the same year lmao

I’m so here for this. Talke about rasberry on top.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.