Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 501 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Tick Tock
Shrek Superslam
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Lmao am I the only one who hasn’t seen the leaked version? I’m just gonna wait for December.

Haven’t seen it either lol

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

Am I the only one getting the feeling that Will Smith isn’t that big a threat to win best actor? From all the reviews I’ve read there are suprisingly few raves that would tell me there is enough passion to get him a win. Tbh I’ve seen far more for Cumberbatch. This race is far from over in my opinion.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Am I the only one getting the feeling that Will Smith isn’t that big a threat to win best actor? From all the reviews I’ve read there are surprisingly few raves that would tell me there is enough passion to get him a win. Tbh I’ve seen far more for Cumberbatch. This race is far from over in my opinion.

Critics don’t vote on the Oscars.

Part of the reason the TIFF People’s Choice Award is so closely watched, and indicative, is that it also isn’t a critics’ prize.

Just a shame that without King Richard in the running there, the results won’t offer us the most accurate take on the awards race so far that it could have.

Profile picture
    Shrek Superslam
    Topics:

I think the reason so many are predicting Will over Benedict is because of: A) the narrative and B) the strong possibility of King Richard getting into picture, which would imply the Academy like the film.

If the Academy like the film enough to nominate it for Picture, then surely the aspect of the film which is by far the most praised (Smith’s performance) will win?

Also, Will Smith’s narrative is significantly stronger than Cumberbatch’s – who’s only other significant role is The Imitation Game (outside of TV) – and it’s not like Cumberbatch’s character is a particularly well-known one, i.e. Freddie Mercury or Stephen Hawkins.

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

Honestly I’ve seen more praise for Cumberbatch but I avoid saying it because people seem so hyped about Smith. As for King Richard I don’t see that much passion for it outside of the main performance.

Same here, I could post many reviews supporting Benedict’s performance that clearly have been ignored by some people here but i avoid that because the last time a person posted it, someone was being hostile and behaved like a child.

Also, if the academy really wants to reward someone because of ‘narrative’ then so be it. I’m sure Will will wow us all, but stop trying to say “so Cumberbatch’s performance is not that strong like people say then” based on your concentrated internet search when most of the reviews single him out as the stand out.

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

Also another lol @people called him a miscast when Jane Champion herself who chose him for Phil

Also, Phil’s physical description:

• Day blue eyes
    • foxlike face
    • tall
    • long legs
    • lines around the eyes
    • long/thin fingered hands
    • thin nose

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

Can’t insert image 😭. Any guide for Android user?

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

Am I the only one getting the feeling that Will Smith isn’t that big a threat to win best actor? From all the reviews I’ve read there are suprisingly few raves that would tell me there is enough passion to get him a win. Tbh I’ve seen far more for Cumberbatch. This race is far from over in my opinion.

People made it sounds like Oscar is next month or something

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

I think the reason so many are predicting Will over Benedict is because of: A) the narrative and B) the strong possibility of King Richard getting into picture, which would imply the Academy like the film.

If the Academy like the film enough to nominate it for Picture, then surely the aspect of the film which is by far the most praised (Smith’s performance) will win?

Also, Will Smith’s narrative is significantly stronger than Cumberbatch’s – who’s only other significant role is The Imitation Game (outside of TV) – and it’s not like Cumberbatch’s character is a particularly well-known one, i.e. Freddie Mercury or Stephen Hawkins.

Narrative though hasn’t meant much in recent years when all these contenders that were supposed to win because of narrative lost to the better performance. From what I’ve read of reviews and reactions Cumberbatch gave a better performance so I’m not sure that Smith is that strong.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Glenn Close’s narrative is significantly stronger than Colman’s – who’s only significant roles are on television – and it’s not like Colman’s character is a particularly well known one, i.e. Margaret Thatcher or Queen Elizabeth II.

I’m predicting Smith to win this at the moment but narrative isn’t the deciding factor in a race if there isn’t a sweep (if Smith wins at BAFTA I’d probably argue the race is over) like it used to be.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Yeah, enough with narrative which exists among Oscar predictors (to build the case for X or Y) and may be pushed in media (see Boseman and Close) but don’t necessarily is shared among AMPAS voters.

Smith has a more accessible role (historical figure) and movie that should play well with both middle-brow American voters and international ones (everyone knows the Williams family and their success story).

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

After watching TPOTD twice now, I now think Cumerbatch will give a sturdy challenge against Smith. I still have Smith winning, but I don’t think his victory is assured at all. On my second viewing, there is a lot of details and nuance in Cumberbatch’s performance I had not picked up before.

His performance benefits extremely well from not leaning towards evil rancher caricature. It’s also quite physical and had to pick up a multitude of ranching skills to nail the performance. So without spoiling I’ll say the whistling scene he does in the trailer could be one of his Oscar clips. And the scenes he plays opposite of Dunst is haunting to say the least.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Until we see King Richard performance and Oscar clips. 🙂

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Can’t insert image 😭. Any guide for Android user?

I recently discovered on android how to post an image/GIF you need to:

1. Open the image in a new tab (I was previously copying/pasting the website URL the image is posted on instead)

2. To do this I hold down my thumb on the image and it comes up with a list of options to do with the image

3. Once you’ve copied the image URL in its own tab that’s the one to paste into the Insert image box on here (box with mountain inside)

After that it worked right away, if not you can paste it again and it eventually fills the dimensions automatically. It can be tricky typing around the image or underneath so just have to be patient…

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Glenn Close’s narrative is significantly stronger than Colman’s – who’s only significant roles are on television – and it’s not like Colman’s character is a particularly well known one, i.e. Margaret Thatcher or Queen Elizabeth II.

I’m predicting Smith to win this at the moment but narrative isn’t the deciding factor in a race if there isn’t a sweep (if Smith wins at BAFTA I’d probably argue the race is over) like it used to be.

Glenn was the sole nominee of a movie nobody actually cared about, whilst Will Smith will be probably be in a BP nominee. She also wasn’t playing a real life person in a baity biopic.

Narratives help when you have the right movie and right role. Glenn had neither, so her narrative wasn’t enough to make her win.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.