Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 501 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
KB93
Tick Tock
  • Profile picture
    Ava96
    Topics:

Unrelatedly, one of the things I found out that is immensely interesting to me is how the movie at some point becomes about Peter (Smit-McPhee). To a degree this happens in the book too, but the book never becomes about him, it stays with who Phil & Rose are, but Peter’s actions sort of illustrates who they are. To change that is…well, it’s a helluva lot of faith to put in such a young actor but clearly he pulled it off so well I think he’s detracting from Cumberbatch :/ 

I haven’t seen one single review or reaction that claims the movie has become about Peter or that Smit-McPhee has stolen the shine from Cumberbatch.
    actually I just saw a review which was complaining about the fact that movie is so much about Phil that the other characters seemed a little under developed.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Will Smith (King Richard)

2. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Power of The Dog)

3. Leonardo DiCaprio (Don’t Look Up)

4. Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth)

5. Jamie Dornan (Belfast)

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Locked and loaded (means ain’t losing their seats when other heavyweights arrive):

Smith (frontrunner)

Cumberbatch

On the bubble (means someone is dropping when heavyweights arrive)

Isaac – I used to be comfortable predicting him but Dornan in the Lead cluster**** changed that. Both are Focus Boys and Dornan is from Picture nominee like Smith and Cumby and Actor/Picture combo has become increasingly a norm even for noms let alone wins. Just look at Oscars 2021. 4/5 Actors were from a Picture nominee. But on Actress side, only 2/5 were so that’s not as big requirement/advantage as it it for Actors. No one can say Actors have male privilge ha ha. No movie no cigar.

Dornan – if he goes Lead his advantage over the fellow Focusite Isaac  is that Belfast will be a Picture nominee and then some while Card Counter is possible Script player but doubtful Picture one. Focus is great at getting their hopefuls in, and, based on fest chatter, Belfast is their ticket to above the line Oscars by a wide margin.

Dinklage – another one whose movies isn’t looking like a likely Picture nominee but famous weepy story should get voters to watch and international voters might give him the edge thanks to popularity of the character at least in Europe.

P.S. as it happens, all 3 would be first timers so I wager someone will get in so watch these 3.

TBD (means yet to see them)

Leo – the most reliable awards-boxoffice brand in the world in a topical movie that has all ingredients (on paper) to become an across the board Picture contender. Ealy word from test screening singles him out.

Cooper – another one with multiple nom which means AMPAS like him in a another movie that looks like a contender.

Denzel – I want to chuck him cause MacBeth smacks of failed bait but since he was nominated for terrible Roman Israel Esq that would be unwise. Still, at least atm he seems weaker than the other 2 and some newcomer will get in, that’s my gut feeling.

Profile picture
    Ava96
    Topics:

“THE AGE OF CUMBERBATCH”

He’s Coming…

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

On the casting of  Cumberbatch in TPOTD:

Clipped British thespian Cumberbatch […] might seem like odd casting as a macho man of the American West. Campion was inspired by his performance in the 2012 BBC TV series “Parade’s End,” when he portrayed a conservative statistician-turned-wounded WW1 veteran. She decided that you could take a man with exquisite sensitivity and teach him how to be a cowboy, but you couldn’t expect an action actor to go the other way.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/western-power-of-the-dog-jane-campion-male-psyche-1234662474/

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Cumby’s coming like he was coming when Time put him on cover 2 years back to back. Good for a nom. Smith has this.

Profile picture
    Ava96
    Topics:

Cumby’s coming like he was coming when Time put him on cover 2 years back to back. Good for a nom. Smith has this.

You know that you can promote your favorite actor without shitting on others right?:)  Will Smith is a great actor and a lovely man and it’s such a shame that he’s being supported by you here.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I could see Smith or Cumberbatch taking this. My gut says it will be between those two, but I do give Smith a fairly weighty lead at the minute. The King Richard reception was a lot better than I anticipated and he’s exactly the kind of actor who will deemed deserving of a career Oscar, plus the role is very Oscar friendly and the buzz is strong across the board.

I’m not ruling out Cumberbatch as strong as I think Smith is though, this is a pretty transformative role and an incredibly meaty one, where he gets to play with sensitivity, rage and everything in between. Alongside that he has a really good character arc to dig his teeth into and, like Smith, he’s getting lots of raves. I also think it will be a Picture frontrunner, whilst King Richard may not get nominated or will placed relatively low in the 10. I think recent years have shown narrative isn’t always too important either, so if enough people think Cumberbatch is simply better that will sway things. I can see it being that Smith wins Critics Choice and SAG, whilst Cumberbatch is the critics darling and takes the BAFTA, assuming the jury doesn’t scupper his chances.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Cumby’s coming like he was coming when Time put him on cover 2 years back to back. Good for a nom.

Smith has this.

Definitely. King Richard is my “most likely to overperform on Oscar nomination morning” pick. If KR gets more than two acting nominations or, say, a sound nom on top of film editing and score noms – even if Reinaldo Marcus Green misses out in the directing category – my antennae will likely be tingling: “KR’s going all the way.” No one should be sleeping on this. (And I’m thinking Green may well pop up among the DGA nominees, just as Green Book‘s Peter Farrelly did.)

Also, my long-standing habit of backing lovable long shots has me quietly hoping for a surprise best-actor appearance by Clifton Collins Jr. for Jockey. Certainly, this may turn out to be a campaign that peaks at the Independent Spirit awards, but in any case I’m here for it and am glad Sony Classics is giving him a solid push. Will be watching to see Jockey‘s reception at its TIFF “booster” engagement out of the shadow of CODA, which raked in big prizes when both films bowed at Sundance and, as has been mentioned on these boards by wise watchers, is a strong adapted-screenplay contender.
    Of course Marlee Matlin is likely still in play and has fans here on GD, even as I acknowledge my skepticism about the awards-campaign chops of Apple when working without A24, as is the case with CODA.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

You know that you can promote your favorite actor without shitting on others right?:) Will Smith is a great actor and a lovely man and it’s such a shame that he’s being supported by you here.

Insecure much? How am I s***ing on Cumberbatch by pointing out that he got 2 Time covers (that many more prominent actors at the time didn’t) which resulted in a nom but not in a win? His campaign for Immitation Game was exceptionally aggressive. Harvey took him to every festival he could uncover (and likely invented a few) and because of that he did look like a potential winner…until Redcarpet and Keaton become the favorites.

Point being, it looks like he will have another aggressive campaign (2 tributes, covers already, festivals ahoy) but that Smith has landed on #1 more effortlessly. His movie wasn’t expected to be a contender (unlike TPOTD that was always a contender to win, Top 2 at least signt unseen because of the book themes) yet it took Telluride by surprise and Smith is getting frontrunner reviews. That it will (also unexpectedly) be across the board nominee especially in acting and sure-fire SAG Ensemble nominee (potential winner too) is to its advantage. There’s always more hype over a surprise than something expected.

It’s a long season so for what is worth anything can happen but yeha this is not s***ing.

Definitely. King Richard is my “most likely to overperform on Oscar nomination morning” pick. If KR gets more than two acting nominations or, say, a sound nom on top of film editing and score noms – even if Reinaldo Marcus Green misses out in the directing category – my antennae will likely be tingling: “KR’s going all the way.” No one should be sleeping on this. (And I’m thinking Green may well pop up among the DGA nominees, just as Green Book‘s Peter Farrelly did.) Also, my long-standing habit of backing lovable long shots has me quietly hoping for a surprise best-actor appearance by Clifton Collins Jr. for Jockey. Certainly, this may turn out to be a campaign that peaks at the Independent Spirit awards, but in any case I’m here for it and am glad Sony Classics is giving him a solid push. Will be watching to see Jockey‘s reception at its TIFF “booster” engagement out of the shadow of CODA, which raked in big prizes when both films bowed at Sundance and, as has been mentioned on these boards by wise watchers, is a strong adapted-screenplay contender. Of course Marlee Matlin is likely still in play and has fans here on GD, even as I acknowledge my skepticism about the awards-campaign chops of Apple when working without A24, as is the case with CODA.

Well said! I haven’t followed Jockey so I’ll keep it in mind.

Profile picture
    hillslight
    Topics:

C’mon C’mon trailer has been released

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

C’mon C’mon trailer has been released https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1435589865333088262?s=20

I cried while watching this trailer ngl

It would be so great if Joaquin got nominated for this, it looks like his best performance since The Master

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

C’mon C’mon trailer has been released

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1435589865333088262?s=20

This looks really beautiful. I hope Joaquin gets in over DiCaprio.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

So, will DiCaprio be lead?

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

C’mon C’mon is receiving a warmer reception than expected. It should be in conversation for Best Original Screenplay at the very least and it will give a boost to Joaquin Phoenix for a Best Actor nomination as well.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.