Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 501 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
KB93
Tick Tock
  • Profile picture
    Vincent Figueroa
    Topics:

Oscar for best actor and best picture in the same year (50 years)  :

1971: Patton
    1972: The French Connection
    1973: The Godfather
    1976: One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
    1980: Kramer vs Kramer
    1983: Ghandhi
    1985: Amadeus
    1989: Rain Man
    1992: The Silence of the Lambs
    1995: Forrest Gump
    2000: American Beauty
    2001: Gladiator
    2011: The King’s Speech
    2012: The Artist
    2022: ¿The Power of Dog?

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

If Best Actress is between Stewart and Chastain, assuming Will Smith is the frontrunner and wins Best Actor, we will have biopics only for the next ten years…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Glenn was the sole nominee of a movie nobody actually cared about, whilst Will Smith will be probably be in a BP nominee. She also wasn’t playing a real life person in a baity biopic. Narratives help when you have the right movie and right role. Glenn had neither, so her narrative wasn’t enough to make her win.

I don’t disagree that Will Smith has stronger chances than Close did (as you said his film will probably be a picture nominee). But my point is more that the Oscars aren’t fuelled solely by narrative anymore. Sure Renee won but she arguably had no strong competitor (Ronan’s performance was too restrained and Johansson was a secondary lead with no strong narrative for the win) and her performance HAD a lot of passion. She even won the Spirit even though half of film twitter votes for those awards.

Just last year we saw Chadwick Boseman lose with one of the biggest narratives in Oscar history having won at SAG, Critics Choice and the Globes even though his film was quite widely seen and was nominated for 5 Oscars. Why? Because Hopkins’ performance ultimately had too much passion to overcome and his film had more recency. Will Smith can win (in fact that is what I am predicting) but my point is that unless there is undeniable passion for his performance (which there could be) he’s not a lock to sweep based on narrative alone.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

For what is worth, Stewart and Chastian have gotten stronger raves than Smith and Cumby.

Profile picture
    dee mura
    Topics:

I recently discovered on android how to post an image/GIF you need to: 1. Open the image in a new tab (I was previously copying/pasting the website URL the image is posted on instead) 2. To do this I hold down my thumb on the image and it comes up with a list of options to do with the image 3. Once you’ve copied the image URL in its own tab that’s the one to paste into the Insert image box on here (box with mountain inside) After that it worked right away, if not you can paste it again and it eventually fills the dimensions automatically. It can be tricky typing around the image or underneath so just have to be patient…

🙏Thank you

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Amazon should really pick up The Survivor since they don’t have a contender right now.

Barry Levinson making a decent film these days is very rare and Ben Foster is getting winning worthy raves.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Yes, Ben Foster as the fifth spot instead of Bradley Cooper, please.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

New Rolling Stone article about Cumberbatch and TPOTD arguing he is the unequivocal frontrunner.

Say what you want but he has the better campaign. Smith has none to speak of (which will probably change but these early moves do actually make a difference).

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

WB is the best campaigner among the big studios and Will Smith is their only lead actor contender. And you best believe Will Smith is THIRSTY for that gold. He is just taking a breather before he unleashes his campaign with his new book and his wife Jada by his side lol

Will Smith is the unequivocal frontrunner as far as I’m concerned.

Profile picture
    Bart Barton
    Topics:

I think Will Smith has got this race on lock. It looks like a perfect storm situation for him.

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Glenn Close’s narrative is significantly stronger than Colman’s – who’s only significant roles are on television – and it’s not like Colman’s character is a particularly well known one, i.e. Margaret Thatcher or Queen Elizabeth II. I’m predicting Smith to win this at the moment but narrative isn’t the deciding factor in a race if there isn’t a sweep (if Smith wins at BAFTA I’d probably argue the race is over) like it used to be.

Narrative’s a bit important, though, surely… Like if King Richard is in Picture, then, surely, he’s safe. The difference with Glenn Close and Chadwick Boseman is that their films didn’t get in picture – lol.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    dee mura
    Topics:

New Rolling Stone article about Cumberbatch and TPOTD arguing he is the unequivocal frontrunner. Say what you want but he has the better campaign. Smith has none to speak of (which will probably change but these early moves do actually make a difference).

It’s still a very shaky ground right now and not sure about the better campaign but critics don’t look down on him for sure like some people said here

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Narrative’s a bit important, though, surely… Like if King Richard is in Picture, then, surely, he’s safe. The difference with Glenn Close and Chadwick Boseman is that their films didn’t get in picture – lol.

People keep using Best Picture as to predict a category (and I get that, I sometimes do its myself) but at the end of the day the only reason the trend has been in place for so long is because being in a picture nominee gives you the most visibility.

Even without the Picture snub (Ma Rainey was probably 10th though) lots of academy members saw Boseman’s film, they just liked Hopkins’ performance more even though he had less of a narrative.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

The Nightmare Alley trailer looked amazing but it didn’t really give me vibes for a Cooper nomination. Just me?

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

Oooh weee the ones that say Will Smith is a slam dunk! I get it. I really do, but that whole Narrative thing… don’t mean a thang when you’ve watched TPOTD and seen what Cumberbatch can do. Like I said before, Will Smith will have to be brilliant to make this his. Brilliant honey, Cumberbatch set the mark.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.