Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 501 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
KB93
Tick Tock
  • Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Critics Choice – like critics before them, who would have supported Hopkins otherwise since that’ the kind of performance they love, they fell for death + BLM optics and didn’t risk possible controversy if they picked someone else. They don’t vote for the oscars.

The thing with Critics Choice is that they go just go with whoever the predicted Oscar winner is. They don’t even vote for what they like. And as long as they do that it’s hard to take Critics Choice seriously as a real precursor.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

The thing with Critics Choice is that they go just go with whoever the predicted Oscar winner is. They don’t even vote for what they like. And as long as they do that it’s hard to take Critics Choice seriously as a real precursor.

If this is true, why Christian Bale won over Rami Malek?

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

If this is true, why Christian Bale won over Rami Malek?

That was before Malek won SAG and BAFTA. At the time Malek had the drama Globe and Bale had the comedy Globe so they were neck and neck in odds on nominations morning (https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1075918/Oscars-2019-nominations-Best-Actor-Rami-Malek-Bohemian-Rhapsody-Christian-Bale-Vice)

It was only after Malek won SAG that he became the clear frontrunner. Critics Choice going with Bale isn’t much different to them going with Michael Keaton or Chadwick Boseman, because Keaton and Boseman were looking like the likely winners at that point.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

What flop predictions on CC part lol.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Not just CC, pretty much everything tries to be an Oscar bellwether except the critics groups. Festivals. SAG. BAFTAs (the new committee change was a bigger shift than expected). The guilds definitely try to influence and go with the tide, though I do appreciate that WGA often nominates films that probably won’t go to the Oscars, but…writers are a funny group even at the Oscars. They’re both auteur-y and populist and genre, they genuinely just appreciate good writing in any genre and they try to expand the umbrella. They don’t do AS well with indie films but that’s because maybe not enough have seen the screeners so big deal.

CC is still a big deal, like it or not, especially in a year where they’ve basically……more or less succeeded in taking over the GGs in relevance. The GGs had their own idiosyncratic things and tried to predict Oscars too. This is just another thing along the same darn lines. I don’t love CC but it is how it is.

Funniest thing about “critics choice” is that they rarely represent the sum of the critics groups because they have SO many pundits lol. This is just funny stuff about the last few decades: Sasha Stone keeps saying this and I hate to agree with her but here she’s not wrong: a decade or two ago, breaking in as a critic was pretty hard, now you have a bajillion platforms, pundits, YouTubers etc weighing in that may or may not have substantial knowledge of film.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

I would like to see Bradley getting this finally.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Not just CC, pretty much everything tries to be an Oscar bellwether except the critics groups. Festivals. SAG. BAFTAs (the new committee change was a bigger shift than expected).

I don’t think that’s true at all. Golden Globes, SAG and BAFTA surprise all the time and indicate a change of course in the Oscar race which CC NEVER does. CC just tries to shamelessly predict the Oscars every year. After all the guilds and BAFTA are industry awards so it makes sense that whatever wins there is likely to win at the Oscars because there is voter overlap and similar tastes.

CC has always been irrelevant and they will never replace the globes because average people don’t even know what they are. They never have an impact on the race and just nominate 7-8 actors to try and match the Oscars to stay relevant lol

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

critics groups may not try to be the Oscar bellwether but they certianly try to influence the race by forcing their favorites down everyone’s throat as if there’s no one else. Critics sweeps are just asannoying as precursor sweeps. Sometimes even more because they they get to see movies early so everyone is in the dark about their darling. I remember when they went all in for ZDT and Bigelow but since the movie was a late release, nobody knew what the hype was all about. They pretty much acted like released movies didn’t matter. We know how that one ended.

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

Not the Boseman vs Hopkins again, especially when the best performance wasn’t either of those. Riz Ahmed should have won that.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

critics groups may not try to be the Oscar bellwether but they certianly try to influence the race by forcing their favorites down everyone’s throat as if there’s no one else. Critics sweeps are just asannoying as precursor sweeps. Sometimes even more because they they get to see movies early so everyone is in the dark about their darling. I remember when they went all in for ZDT and Bigelow but since the movie was a late release, nobody knew what the hype was all about. They pretty much acted like released movies didn’t matter. We know how that one ended.

ZDT got 5 nominations in……

I hate the film but Bigelow missing doesn’t mean the critics groups had no effect. Of course they try to influence the race, but at least they have choices others don’t make, which is literally all I said. I didn’t say whether it was good or bad, just that it’s true. How would Sound of Metal & PYW have done without critics groups? Whoooo knows. Also… McDormand basically tied Mulligan in critics groups wins so maaaaaaaaaybe they were onto something too.

I don’t think that’s true at all. Golden Globes, SAG and BAFTA surprise all the time and indicate a change of course in the Oscar race which CC NEVER does. They don’t just shamelessly try to predict the Oscars like CC does.

Okay. Sure. Whatever you want.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Can’t really take Critics Choice seriously when they failed to reward critics favorites like Parasite in Picture or Yuh-Jung Youn in Supporting Actress.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I would like to see Bradley getting this finally.

Finally? The boy’s around for about 10 years. Just because his overrated ass got nominated 50 times thanks to his white privilige, it doesn’t mean he’s overdue. I was harsh, sorry about that, but guys, Will Smith is ten times more overdue and will hopefully take this win.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Bradley Cooper will terrorize us with his Maestro Oscar bait next year. He can sit this season out.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I just want to note that Denzel Washington, arguably the most celebrated black actor alive, a true film icon and legend has received a total of 8 Oscar nominations in his 40+ years career in the business. The same amount of mentions as Bradley Cooper who has been around as familiar face since 2009, and who has achieved his 8 nominations in 7 years. The issue is clear.

So when you guys put “finally” next to the name of Bradley Cooper, I snap.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

I just want to note that Denzel Washington, arguably the most celebrated black actor alive, a true film icon and legend has received a total of 8 Oscar nominations in his 40+ years career in the business. The same amount of mentions as Bradley Cooper who has been around as familiar face since 2009, and who has achieved his 8 nominations in 7 years. The issue is clear. So when you guys put “finally” next to the name of Bradley Cooper, I snap.

Truly tragic.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.