Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 501 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Tick Tock
Sir Pierce
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Bradley Cooper will terrorize us with his Maestro Oscar bait next year. He can sit this season out.

well now i feel attacked

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Okay. Sure. Whatever you want.

It’s very easy to refute what I said. Just give me a few examples of CC going against the grain and rewarding movies or actors that were not in the running for Oscars.

I can do that for the Globes, like when they gave back to back globes to Jim Carrey for performances that didn’t even get Oscar nominations. Not to mention when they went against presumed frontrunners like Ejiofor and Keaton to create new frontrunners like McConaughey and Redmayne. I can do that for SAG, when they gave a win to Idris Elba who didn’t even get the Oscar nomination. I can do that for BAFTA, where they so often go against the grain, even snubbing eventual winners like McConaughey and Leto to give BAFTAs to Ejiofor and Abdi.

For Critics Choice, they fail literally every year trying desperately to match the presumed frontrunner only to end up not matching because the race changes course. Here are some examples…

2020 – Boseman, Mulligan
    2019 – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    2018 – Roma, Bale, Close/Gaga (lol)
    2016 – La La Land, Portman
    2015 – Stallone
    2014 – Boyhood, Linklater, Keaton

Critics Choice is hilarious. They just nominate 6-7 of the most predicted people and give ties when they can’t decide who will win between two frontrunners like with Close/Gaga lol

Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

Hopkins won because The Father had a late rise as it got seen by more people. It was #2 or #3 in Best Picture when it was all said and done, it got a surprise Production Design nomination, arguably a surprise Editing nomination, and overtook Nomadland in Adapted Screenplay at the last minute. This is more of an opinion on my part, but I think Zeller was probably #6 in Director over Aaron Sorkin. And yeah, there are a lot of people who thought Hopkins was better, myself included. That’s pretty much how it happened. If The Father didn’t have that surge, Chadwick would’ve won.

Oooh hey! Very close to my FYC!
    “FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World”

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Jon Bernthal
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It’s very easy to refute what I said. Just give me a few examples of CC going against the grain and rewarding movies or actors that were not in the running for Oscars.

You make a bold take, I partially agree and then add to that, you the misunderstand what I say, then I have to painstakingly say “that’s not what I said”, on which you double down and one of us gives up. So just take it for granted that I’m never going to bother refuting you. Honestly lol, I have zero problem with you as a person except that you’re just always so darn sure you’re right that there is no room for any doubt, and I’m not like that at all. We just shouldn’t interact, it’s no good for the boards lol 😐

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

I just want to note that Denzel Washington, arguably the most celebrated black actor alive, a true film icon and legend has received a total of 8 Oscar nominations in his 40+ years career in the business. The same amount of mentions as Bradley Cooper who has been around as familiar face since 2009, and who has achieved his 8 nominations in 7 years. The issue is clear.

So when you guys put “finally” next to the name of Bradley Cooper, I snap.

Yes Bradley has 8 nominations. 4 of them for acting with 3 leads and 1 supporting nomination. The rest for:
    Producing Joker / American Sniper/ A Star is Born.
    Adapted Screenplay A Star is Born

Denzel has 9 nominations with 8 of them in acting and 1 for producing (Fences). 6 lead noms and 2 supporting noms. And 2 wins.

So if Denzel gets a nomination, he will move up the ranks.
    12 noms Jack Nicholson
    10 noms Laurence Olivier
    09 noms Spencer Tracy
    09 noms Paul Newman
    09 noms Al Pacino

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Jon Bernthal
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

You make a bold take, I partially agree and then add to that, you the misunderstand what I say, then I have to painstakingly say “that’s not what I said”, on which you double down and one of us gives up. So just take it for granted that I’m never going to bother refuting you. Honestly lol, I have zero problem with you as a person except that you’re just always so darn sure you’re right that there is no room for any doubt, and I’m not like that at all. We just shouldn’t interact, it’s no good for the boards lol 😐

I didn’t misunderstand what you said but I agree it’s better we don’t interact for other reasons.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

You guys are always doing too much about Bradley’s nomination total here, yes, he has 8 nominations but only 4 of them are for acting.

The number is not even ridiculous considering Christian Bale, Amy Adams, and Jennifer Lawrence all got the same amount of nominations last decade and all of them had pretty similar careers to Bradley’s. I mean, the four of them even got one for a film together.

His nomination total is inflated by the fact that he is also a producer and writer and director. Which doesn’t make comparisons to other actors fair.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

You guys are always doing too much about Bradley’s nomination total here, yes, he has 8 nominations but only 4 of them are for acting.

Agreed such a false equivalence. It’s like getting offended about Douglas Shearer having 7 Oscars compared to Stanley Kubrick with 1.

The real number that means anything is Cooper having 4 acting nominations and Denzel having 8

Profile picture
    MrOceanBlueEyes
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

It’s very easy to refute what I said. Just give me a few examples of CC going against the grain and rewarding movies or actors that were not in the running for Oscars. I can do that for the Globes, like when they gave back to back globes to Jim Carrey for performances that didn’t even get Oscar nominations. Not to mention when they went against presumed frontrunners like Ejiofor and Keaton to create new frontrunners like McConaughey and Redmayne. I can do that for SAG, when they gave a win to Idris Elba who didn’t even get the Oscar nomination. I can do that for BAFTA, where they so often go against the grain, even snubbing eventual winners like McConaughey and Leto to give BAFTAs to Ejiofor and Abdi. For Critics Choice, they fail literally every year trying desperately to match the presumed frontrunner only to end up not matching because the race changes course. Here are some examples… 2020 – Boseman, Mulligan 2019 – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 2018 – Roma, Bale, Close/Gaga (lol) 2016 – La La Land, Portman 2015 – Stallone 2014 – Boyhood, Linklater, Keaton Critics Choice is hilarious. They just nominate 6-7 of the most predicted people and give ties when they can’t decide who will win between two frontrunners like with Close/Gaga lol

these people/movies also won different precursors so I think that while yes the point stands that CC’s bold choices don’t always work your example is faulty since those places got it wrong too so everyone makes bold choices that dont work, just like how the globes went 0/4 this year or bafta winners that didn’t win, so any precursor that goes first is at risk of getting shit wrong not just CC lol. if you make a list you’ll find out all precursors have winners that didnt win in the end.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

these people/movies also won different precursors so I think that while yes the point stands that CC’s bold choices don’t always work your example is faulty since those places got it wrong too so everyone makes bold choices that dont work, just like how the globes went 0/4 this year or bafta winners that didn’t win, so any precursor that goes first is at risk of getting shit wrong not just CC lol

The point is that CC’s choices are not bold because they pretty much always go with the frontrunners. Others like GG, SAG, BAFTA make choices that are bold because they go against the grain. They can even snub frontrunners sometimes or give wins to people that miss Oscar nominations.

Just look at all the examples I gave. All of them were considered the frontrunners when CC gave them awards which is why CC awarded them in the first place. They don’t make bold choices at all, just the safest choice of who they think will win the Oscar.

Golden Globes usually happen first but they don’t just predict Oscar winners. They often throw curve balls like Andra Day and Isabelle Huppert. CC never does that.

Profile picture
    MrOceanBlueEyes
    Topics:

The point is that CC’s choices are not bold because they pretty much always go with the frontrunners. Others like GG, SAG, BAFTA make choices that are bold because they go against the grain. They can even snub frontrunners sometimes or give wins to people that miss Oscar nominations. Just look at all the examples I gave. All of them were considered the frontrunners when CC gave them awards which is why CC awarded them in the first place. They don’t make bold choices at all, just the safest choice of who they think will win the Oscar. Golden Globes usually happen first but they don’t just predict Oscar winners. They often throw curve balls like Andra Day and Isabelle Huppert. CC never does that.

first of all bafta and sag dont always have inspired choices because they’re pretty much golden globes copies just like cc outside a few exceptions. they’re gonna start having them now since gg are not a thing this year nor wont be in the near future. We all know why Andra won so that’s hardly a bold choice, Isabelle was only bold because CC for once decided to have a mind of their own and rewarded Natalie Portman who only won CC that season, and the globes were setting up Emma to win so lol they were not rewarding natalie.  So yes Natalie is a bold choice from CC same as Mulligan give how CC tend to copy GG and she won on her own when they’re notorious for ties were they couldve awarded Andra too. so yes every precursor made bold choices and most of them never work out outside of bafta sometimes. so there’s no point in discussing that. CC will try to start people next year and it might not work out but we won’t know until we what will actually happen.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Only 4 acting noms LMAO. As if that’s a bad thing. That’s a huge achievement. He’s surpassed some of the greatest of all time that don’t have 4 nominations. Why did you scratch out Director? He deserves that title for sure. It seems to me y’all are doing to much to discredit him.

They scratched out director because his directing didn’t contribute to his nomination total, I don’t think it was meant as an insult…

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.