Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 501 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Tick Tock
Sir Pierce
  • Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Not using the L word at all, but of every category across the board if I had to bet on one win at this point (September 8th), it would be Smith. The crowd-pleasing nature, the performance, the narrative, his biggest competitor being in a critically-adored but surely divisive film. It just all seems there, like Renee in 2019 when it’s not what film twitter necessarily wants but whats going to happen. I know there’s the BAFTA issue, but Cumberbatch isn’t Hopkins nor is TPOTD a character like The Father. Also, quite frankly, BAFTA probably needs to come around to awarding some more actors of color even more so than the Academy, so if they derail the Smith train there could be some awful optics.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Why does he look like a pimp?

I’m all for a ‘fun’ photo shoot but he looks absolutely ridiculous.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also, quite frankly, BAFTA probably needs to come around to awarding some more actors of color even more so than the Academy, so if they derail the Smith train there could be some awful optics.

I mean… the jury didn’t nominate Viola Davis last year and there weren’t any bad optics with 16/24 of the acting nominees being people of colour.

If Smith gets snubbed there with another strong poc acting nominations haul, chances are there aren’t going to be any bad optics.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I mean… the jury didn’t nominate Viola Davis last year and there weren’t any bad optics with 16/24 of the acting nominees being people of colour. If Smith gets snubbed there with another strong poc acting nominations haul, chances are there aren’t going to be any bad optics.

That is true – but it’s not just about who gets nominated, its about who wins. In majority POC Lead categories last year they still ended up with a pair of white winners.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I think Garfield will happen in Supporting this year.

Actor is too stacked.

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

I mean… the jury didn’t nominate Viola Davis last year and there weren’t any bad optics with 16/24 of the acting nominees being people of colour.

If Smith gets snubbed there with another strong poc acting nominations haul, chances are there aren’t going to be any bad optics.

If Denzel gets good reviews, surely they have to make sure he gets in there finally lol.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

That is true – but it’s not just about who gets nominated, its about who wins. In majority POC Lead categories last year they still ended up with a pair of white winners.

I wasn’t disagreeing with that (nor was I excusing the inexcusable systemic racial bias amongst the membership) but I was more stating that if Will Smith is snubbed at the BAFTAs with the jury it will be due to his Hollywood star power and the type of performance given rather than some sort of racial bias and that there won’t be some sort of a backlash as a result of it (especially if someone like Denzel Washington receives their overdue first nomination).

FYC:

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

I mean… the jury didn’t nominate Viola Davis last year and there weren’t any bad optics with 16/24 of the acting nominees being people of colour. If Smith gets snubbed there with another strong poc acting nominations haul, chances are there aren’t going to be any bad optics.

Also, I’m pretty sure they should just vote based on the value of the performance…

which is what I think BAFTA were trying to do last year… possibly…

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also, I’m pretty sure they should just vote based on the value of the performance… which is what I think BAFTA were trying to do last year… possibly…

Yeah if Smith misses at BAFTA it will be for the same reason Davis did. The performance itself wasn’t one that had tonnes of passion (in retrospect to its competition) and the performer was a big Hollywood star in a field with lots of newcomers. Not because of race.

The system has been set up to remove historic barriers that people of colour and minority groups have faced in terms of industry recognition. The jury themselves aren’t voting and was not set up to vote based on race.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

BAFTA is overrated. No one in America gives a shit about who wins BAFTA awards. Smith will be just fine if he misses BAFTA. They almost only reward their actors anyway. They hopefully will be the next award show to get the boot. ✌🏼

FYC:

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Netflix should have sent Tic Tic Boom to tiff

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Netflix should have sent Tic Tic Boom to tiff

Eh… I think Power Of The Dog is their festival horse.

Don’t Look Up is the Mank/Irishman slot…

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Eh… I think Power Of The Dog is their festival horse.

Don’t Look Up is the Mank/Irishman slot…

True

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.