Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 499 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kbc
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Phoenix and Comer are coming with Kitbag (Oscars 2023). Watch.

Profile picture
    Film expert
    Topics:

I’m 50/50 on that.

On one hand, the role fits the profile, historically when Joaquin was nominated it was rather for playing this big characters, famous people, and not for his smaller indie stuff.

Commodus, Johny Cash, Joker. Napoleon certainly fits the trend.

But, on the other hand, Ridley is extremely hit or miss, it can be a big success or some ugly flop. I guess it all depends on the script, if it will be strong enough.

So dunno. We will see.

Profile picture
    Alessandro Leri
    Topics:

I’m not sure Kitbag will be as good as you think. Anyway Phoenix will also be in “Polaris” directed by Lynne Ramsay and they did very well at Cannes in 2017 when Phoenix won acting prize while Ramsay directing prize. He may get a nomination for that. He also stars in the upcoming Ari Aster movie.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I’m 50/50 on that. On one hand, the role fits the profile, historically when Joaquin was nominated it was rather for playing this big characters, famous people, and not for his smaller indie stuff. Commodus, Johny Cash, Joker. Napoleon certainly fits the trend. But, on the other hand, Ridley is extremely hit or miss, it can be a big success or some ugly flop. I guess it all depends on the script, if it will be strong enough. So dunno. We will see.

The script for Kitbag was written by David Scarpa, who also wrote All the Money in the World.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

I’m 50/50 on that. On one hand, the role fits the profile, historically when Joaquin was nominated it was rather for playing this big characters, famous people, and not for his smaller indie stuff. Commodus, Johny Cash, Joker. Napoleon certainly fits the trend. But, on the other hand, Ridley is extremely hit or miss, it can be a big success or some ugly flop. I guess it all depends on the script, if it will be strong enough. So dunno. We will see.

I agree, Ridley is a hit or a miss, lets see how good is House of Gucci

Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

Besides Cumberbatch, I am rooting for Udo Kier in Swan Song. I will DIE of happiness if he gets in the top 5.

Udo Kier has a change of getting a Gotham nod and or a Sprit nod

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Jon Bernthal
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Amazon will campaign Adam Driver for Best Actor for Annette and Marion Cotillard for Best Actress. Driver is also included for Best Picture because he produced the film as well.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Oscar Isaac is amazing in The Card Counter. Unfortunately, this is a Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler situation. A great performance that gets overlooked because they feel the film is weird and the field is overcrowded with the usual baits

Inside Llewyn Davis, Ex Machina, A Most Violent Year all should have had him in. Add Card Counter to the ever-growing list of his performances that will easily end up as one of the best of the year that is slept on and dismissed for the low hanging fruit. Just do some bait for once, Oscar.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I didn’t like “The Card Counter” that much, but I love Oscar Isaac and I hope he gets nominated very soon. I don’t know why they keep snubbing him!

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

he isn’t snubbed. He just never had right movie/role. The closest he came was with Lewellyn (sp?) Davis but that year was insane – McCon for Dallas Buyers Club (lost weight, forfeit easy money to become an indie king, True Detective blowing up) , Ejiofor for 12YS (Picture winner), Leo for WOWS (Qualuuds scene, big boxoffice, Marty), Dern for Nebraska (veteran and all that). You could remove Bale for American Hustle to accomodate Isaac but American Hustle was a huge hit and racked up jizillion nominations. So support was there and Bale coattailed it.

Everything else – Most Violent Year (Chastain singled out) and Ex Machina (Vikander singled out) – had him in the shadow of his leading ladies.

Haven’t seen Card Counter but boxoffice is dismal and unless critics awards keep him in conversation, don’t think anyone will remember that movie.

I think his real shots are happening next year with that political movie with Blanchett and other big names, and Making of Godfather aka Mank 2.0.

Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Our new article rounds up all the Best Actor acceptance speeches from this century:

https://www.goldderby.com/feature/best-actor-oscar-winners-21st-century-watch-1204503375/

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

he isn’t snubbed. He just never had right movie/role. The closest he came was with Lewellyn (sp?) Davis but that year was insane – McCon for Dallas Buyers Club (lost weight, forfeit easy money to become an indie king, True Detective blowing up) , Ejiofor for 12YS (Picture winner), Leo for WOWS (Qualuuds scene, big boxoffice, Marty), Dern for Nebraska (veteran and all that). You could remove Bale for American Hustle to accomodate Isaac but American Hustle was a huge hit and racked up jizillion nominations. So support was there and Bale coattailed it. Everything else – Most Violent Year (Chastain singled out) and Ex Machina (Vikander singled out) – had him in the shadow of his leading ladies. Haven’t seen Card Counter but boxoffice is dismal and unless critics awards keep him in conversation, don’t think anyone will remember that movie. I think his real shots are happening next year with that political movie with Blanchett and other big names, and Making of Godfather aka Mank 2.0.

Nahhhh, he wasn’t overshadowed by Chastain or Vikander. They were also heavily praised, but he received the strongest praise for both films. He was just snubbed. So was Chastain for AMVY because it just didn’t get the visibility (classic A24) it needed. And Vikander was around for The Danish Girl or she would have been ignored like the rest of that movie because genre bias.

Bale did not deserve the nomination that year at all though, Inside Llewyn Davis overall was so grossly overlooked that year it’s a personal sore point for me lol.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Nahhhh, he wasn’t overshadowed by Chastain or Vikander. They were also heavily praised, but he received the strongest praise for both films. He was just snubbed. So was Chastain for AMVY because it just didn’t get the visibility (classic A24) it needed. And Vikander was around for The Danish Girl or she would have been ignored like the rest of that movie because genre bias.

Nnnnnn no, not really. Vikander is the one whose always the most praised/talked about in regards to Ex Machina and took home wayyy more critics awards for it than Isaac did (including winning LAFCA). If it weren’t for TDG in Supporting, she would’ve gotten nominated for Ex Machina instead for which she received Globe and BAFTA noms. Same with Chastain, who got nominated and won for critic awards and is more talked about than him. He was overshadowed easily by them.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

This NYT critic writes :

I’m curious if Joaquin Phoenix will score a nomination for the appealing “C’mon C’mon,” in which he plays a normal guy taking care of his nephew. It’s Phoenix’s follow-up to the Oscar-winning “Joker,” but the last time he played someone this warm and grounded, in Spike Jonze’s “Her,” voters overlooked him. (They prefer their Phoenix with bright plumage.)

What do you think of this observation about Phoenix’s Oscar chances?Incidentally, it’s the same year we were talking about for “Inside Llewyn Davis” for Oscar Isaac (2013), with that insane lineup. Currently I have Phoenix making the cut instead of Cooper or Dinklage, which is risky, I know.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Phoenix stature now is much bigger than when he did Her. So he could get an afterglow nom, but I think there’s something to observation that voters seem to like “weird and wacky” Phoenix rather than normal one. We’ll see.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.