Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 499 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kbc
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Karen Gill.
    Topics:

SAG TV Limited/Anthology Actor Poll.

https://strawpoll.com/8yvw4ow5a

Vote Now.

(Best Actor Motion Picture poll coming soon)

Profile picture
    Sab227
    Topics:

Cumerbatch would probably be having an easier path if his character had more screen time in The Power of the Dog. In any case, don’t underestimate Cumerbatch and the British bloc that will rally behind him.

I thought Cumberbatch had more than enough time on screen it’s not like he is off screen for a significant amount of time.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Being in 60%+ of the movie is a key to winning Best Actor. (in recent years.)All actors win for performances which dominate their films throughout. The last time an actor won with less than 50-60% of the screentime was Forest Whitaker.

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Being in 60%+ of the movie is a key to winning Best Actor.

. Anthony Hopkins for silence of the lambs was def not in for 50 percent or more of the film. I forgot the exact Number but it was a thing that def didn’t factor in. So I guess if the academy likes the actor enough and the performance is there so will be the Oscar. There is the British voter block and his previous nomination not to mention his tv popularity and marvel popularity that could sway people his way.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

. Anthony Hopkins for silence of the lambs was def not in for 50 percent or more of the film. I forgot the exact Number but it was a thing that def didn’t factor in.

I mentioned “in recent years”. The last winner with a small screentime was Forest Whitaker. In the 1990s, wins for comparatively smaller roles were common-Anthony Hopkins, Geoffrey Rush, Tom Hanks (Philadelphia) and to an extent Kevin Spacey. Lol Hopkins had only 20 mins of screentime I think.

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

I mentioned “in recent years”. The last winner with a small screentime was Forest Whitaker. In the 1990s, wins for comparatively smaller roles were common-Anthony Hopkins, Geoffrey Rush, Tom Hanks (Philadelphia) and to an extent Kevin Spacey. Lol Hopkins had only 20 mins of screentime I think.

that’s not that long ago though really…if it was a win in the 80s or older I wouldn’t have mentioned it

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Being in 60%+ of the movie is a key to winning Best Actor. (in recent years.)All actors win for performances which dominate their films throughout. The last time an actor won with less than 50-60% of the screentime was Forest Whitaker.

And your movie needs to be nominated for Best Picture, i thought Boseman was going to be the exception but i was wrong

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

And your movie needs to be nominated for Best Picture

Exactly. The only time an actor won without his film being nominated under the expanded 10 nominees was Jeff Bridges and it was due to the Overdue narrative.

This can be directly linked to the fact that the entire Academy votes for all categories,so unless your film has the wide support to get in for picturenand a few crucial categories, it’s not likely many voters would vote for you. (Unless you have an overdue narrative but even then it’s not sure. Ask Glenn Close, Isabelle Huppert, Willem Dafoe and Slyvester Stallone about that).

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Poor Delroy Lindo…

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

To make this more fun, we all know there’s basically a locked trifecta already in this category (Smith-Cumberbatch-Washington), so predict only the two remaining spots.
    I’ll start:

4. Leonardo DiCaprio

5. Peter Dinklage

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

To make this more fun, we all know there’s basically a locked trifecta already in this category (Smith-Cumbetbatch-Washington), so predict only the two remaining spots. I’ll start: 4. Leonardo DiCaprio 5. Peter Dinklage

How good is United Artists as a distributor? I see that Cyrano is their movie.

I agree about Smith (WB), Cumberbatch (Netflix) and Washington (Apple). So lets see who else is there:

Cooper (Searchlight)

Leo (Netflix)

Garfield (Netflix)

Isaac (Focus)

Driver (MGM)

Hoffman (MGM)

IMO, 3 Netflix boys are not happening. 2 tops. Cumberbatch is set in stone, so 1 more or none.

Searchlight is good at getting nominations so don’t sleep on Cooper.

While Card Counter is forgotten atm, Focus stacked supporting categories with Belfast people so who is their Lead push? They don’t have anyone outside of Isaac do they?

MGM has 2 and while hairs are split over Cooper or Penn in supporting, Hoffman could be their Lead push especially of HoG is Gaga and Leto show.  Unless Licorice Pizza is a Penn show rather than 2 young leads.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Adam Driver seems like a non-factor in House of Gucci. I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t get nominated for any of his 3 films this year. In a fair world, he would get in the top 5 for his phenomenal performance in Annette. I also never expected Affleck to overshadow him and Damon in The Last Duel. I’ve seen more glowing praise for Affleck than Driver for that film.

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

To make this more fun, we all know there’s basically a locked trifecta already in this category (Smith-Cumbetbatch-Washington), so predict only the two remaining spots. I’ll start: 4. Leonardo DiCaprio 5. Peter Dinklage

Denzel isn’t as locked as we all think…

He has a good chance of getting in, but there is a solid chance that he doesn’t…

DiCaprio is probably more likely as the kind of  “Gary Oldman gets in everywhere” this year…

It’s also possible that Oscar Isaac and Focus surprise us and he ends up getting into a few places… I can see the film being to the taste of BAFTA, in particular. He’s not gonna win, but he could end up getting the arthouse-kind of slot that Defoe had with At Eternity’s Gate.

This category isn’t really as locked as people are suggesting. I fully expect a few upsets in the coming months. I could see Nightmare Alley being a massive flop, but it is also possible that it’s some kind of masterpiece… I doubt it could win Picture, but Bradley Cooper is one of the best modern-day leading men, so there’s a very small chance that he wins, if it really is that good.

All the same, the only two real locks here are Will Smith and Benedict Cumberbatch. With everyone else, there’s a solid chance they don’t get in.

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Adam Driver seems like a non-factor in House of Gucci. I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t get nominated for any of his 3 films this year. In a fair world, he would get in the top 5 for his phenomenal performance in Annette. I also never expected Affleck to overshadow him and Damon in The Last Duel. I’ve seen more glowing praise for Affleck than Driver for that film.

Watch Affleck get nominated in Supporting Actor…. (he won’t win, though – the film isn’t strong enough)

In fact, with Adam Driver in House Of Gucci, if the film is good and ends up being a late contender a la Judas, then there’s a possibility that both him and Jared Leto get into supporting. (I just don’t see Driver’s performance being dynamic enough to get in – same problem with Lakeith trying to get into lead)

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

All the same, the only two real locks here are Will Smith and Benedict Cumberbatch. With everyone else, there’s a solid chance they don’t get in.

I feel Washington is as close to being locked in as a contender who isn’t Smith or Cumberbatch can be, and actually Dinklage is more solid than some believe right now. After he was passed over almost two decades ago for The Station Agent it’s good to see he has robust path to a nomination.

The scramble for that last slot is going to be heated. My pick isn’t mere hopedicting, but based on strong festival and screening word of mouth stretching back to his Sundance award, and I think so far Sony Classics is playing a strong long-game strategy for him, more like Neon’s for Flee and Netflix’s for Passing than Apple’s for CODA and Bleecker Street’s for Mass.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.