Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kbc
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Taking a somewhat more charitable reading: when it comes to the highest levels of acting, trying to decide whether one performance is, objectively speaking, better than another can often turn into an exercise in hair-splitting. This is why a lot of outside factors end up influencing the vote. Less charitably: people feel like Will Smith is owed an Oscar, and they figure Cumberbatch will still be around to get his due another day.

Yeah, I think it’s much less about performance and more about pundits trying to project the narrative for Smith. I don’t know, I’m still skeptical of him as the frontrunner because most of what I’ve seen about KR and his performance leans more on that than the actual quality of his performance.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Driver is one hell of an actor! He deserves more credit than he gets. I hope he manages to grab a nom.

He got back to back AAMPAS nominations and gets plenty of acclaim all the time. He gets credit. He’s fine. He can miss a year.

Profile picture
    a spoonful of sugar
    Topics:

Does anyone think Adam Driver might not get nominated at all this season? He’s fantastic in Annette and deserves to be in the awards conversation for it, but AMPAS probably won’t nominate him for it. I don’t see him getting in for HoG unless he receives the kind of acclaim he got for Marriage Story.

I’ve been saying that since Annette’s release. Annette felt DOA, he’s not great at accents so I’m not expecting anything from Gucci, and I had a bad feeling about TLD.

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

Narrative doesn’t matter as much especially with an Academy that’s changing its ways because of international and younger voters. They seem to focus mostly on performance.

Besides, a lot of people here underestimate them but pay attention to those anonymous ballots. If Oscar voters are saying something like: ‘I voted for Cumberbatch, but we all know Smith is going to win’ or ‘I’m sure Smith is taking the Oscar, but I loved Power of the Dog, I’ve never seen Cumberbatch like this before’ don’t just shrug it off. It’s how we got Colman and Hopkins.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

This is true enough, but narrative comes into play in other categories. Like, I love Laura Dern, but that was a narrative win for her.

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

This is true enough, but narrative comes into play in other categories. Like, I love Laura Dern, but that was a narrative win for her.

Yes, but the competition was weak that year. Not shocked she swept.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I’ve been saying that since Annette’s release. Annette felt DOA, he’s not great at accents so I’m not expecting anything from Gucci, and I had a bad feeling about TLD.

He wasn’t in the HoG trailer a lot, but it seemed like he didn’t bother making an effort with his accent.

Profile picture
    AwardsBait3818
    Topics:

1. Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of MacBeth
    2. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    3. Bradley Cooper, Nightmare Alley
    4. Cooper Hoffman, Licorice Pizza
    5. Leonardo DiCaprio, Don’t Look Up

6. Joaquin Phoenix, C’mon C’Mon
    7. Will Smith, King Richard
    8. Michael B. Jordan, A Journal for Jordan
    9. Peter Dinklage, Cyrano
    10. Simon Rex, Red Rocket

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

I have a feeling Leo is going to miss this year.

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Will Smith is not “owed an Oscar” lol. Most of his career has been crap like I am Legend. Also the role his is playing does not exactly scream Academy Award Winner.

Profile picture
    Lexa
    Topics:

I was looking over AFI’s COVID policy and I won’t be surprised if someone misses this one too.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I have a feeling Leo is going to miss this year.

He won’t.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

He got back to back AAMPAS nominations and gets plenty of acclaim all the time. He gets credit. He’s fine. He can miss a year.

Preach! No actor not even Streep lately gets nominated every time.

Also, he proved he can be nominated now he needs a hit. IMO that’s his more pressing career thing.

Will Smith is not “owed an Oscar” lol. Most of his career has been crap like I am Legend. Also the role his is playing does not exactly scream Academy Award Winner.

he’s more owed than Chastain whose career is also a mixed bag without making any money for Hollywood, which Smith did a plenty.  Yet Chastain and her fans act as if she’s owed so why wouldn’t Smith fans? Everyone in the world knows who he is and he had 2 noms already enough to get the obligatory “overdue” lable like the rest of them.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

he’s more owed than Chastain whose career is also a mixed bag without making any money for Hollywood, which Smith did a plenty.  Yet Chastain and her fans act as if she’s owed so why wouldn’t Smith fans?

When people refer to actors being “owed” or “overdue,” are they referring to box office success? I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone saying Harrison Ford or The Rock are owed or overdue for an Oscar.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

When people refer to actors being “owed” or “overdue,” are they referring to box office success? I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone saying Harrison Ford or The Rock are owed or overdue for an Oscar.

No, they refer to number of noms and I-think-they-should-have-been-nominated-for-something mostly. Actor was nominated, is automatically (over) due. Fan though they should have been nominated or even won for X number of films, that’s automatic overdue beyond overdue.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.