Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 499 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kbc
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Since when is Will Smith owed an Oscar? I like some of his movies but…

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

No one is owed an Oscar which AMPAS made resoundingly clear when they awarded Colman over “the owed of owed” Close.

Owed exists only in fans’ minds.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Leo is coming.

““This just screened to a group of critics here and… I wasn’t ready for this but… They’re raving it like crazy. Like, they’re thinking this will get around 10 nods and win many of them. It has much more VFX than I expected. The original song is not an end-titles one but marks one of the funniest scenes, Streep can win her 4th, Original Screenplay win may be a lock, SAG Ensemble is in the bag, this is Leo’s best ever, the film’s insanely funny kinda raving I’m talking about. I don’t know what to think right now.”

Yeah yeah I know best ever and all that. But still, he’s coming. I just wanted to do the “______is coming” thing so I reposted this quote which was posted already. 🙂

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Being owed an Oscar is such a stupid concept. If you always give the second best performance of the year in your category, every year over your whole career, you shouldn’t win an Oscar ever. (In an ideal world of course since the best performance doesn’t always win irl.)

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    A HERO:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Amir Jadidi)
    - Best International Feature

NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

RIDERS OF JUSTICE:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Actor (Mads Mikkelsen)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Nicolas Bro)

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Owed or not, this one is Will’s to lose.

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Okay, how many people on this board have actually seen King Richard? I keep hearing he’s only winning because of the overdue thing, which he isn’t even. But critics are saying the performance is actually amazing. Considering Dunst was the real highlight of TOTD, Cumberbatch isn’t really sounding like he did a groundbreaking performance that is going to sweep.

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

Leo is coming. ““This just screened to a group of critics here and… I wasn’t ready for this but… They’re raving it like crazy. Like, they’re thinking this will get around 10 nods and win many of them. It has much more VFX than I expected. The original song is not an end-titles one but marks one of the funniest scenes, Streep can win her 4th, Original Screenplay win may be a lock, SAG Ensemble is in the bag, this is Leo’s best ever, the film’s insanely funny kinda raving I’m talking about. I don’t know what to think right now.” Yeah yeah I know best ever and all that. But still, he’s coming. I just wanted to do the “______is coming” thing so I reposted this quote which was posted already. 🙂

I’d be legitimately shocked if this turns out to be Leo’s best.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Okay, how many people on this board have actually seen King Richard? I keep hearing he’s only winning because of the overdue thing, which he isn’t even. But critics are saying the performance is actually amazing. Considering Dunst was the real highlight of TOTD, Cumberbatch isn’t really sounding like he did a groundbreaking performance that is going to sweep.

Cumberbatch really doesn’t have to ‘sweep’ to win the Oscar. If he wins at BAFTA, then that’s going to put him easily as the frontrunner. I feel like this could end up as a similar situation as Colman and Hopkins. Can Smith win everything but lose BAFTA and still win the Oscar? Or better yet, will Smith win at BAFTA? Idk. BAFTA has been way too influential in recent years.

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

I don’t know if Will Smith is “owed” an Oscar but he seems like the type of actor they’d have no problem giving one too, if not being excited to do so like Sandra Bullock (except Will’s been nominated before and KR is more acclaimed than TBS).

If critics/BAFTA buzz can get anyone past him I think Denzel would be a stronger alternative to Will than Benedict (who seems to me more of a secure nominee than a potential winner).

Profile picture
    MD
    Topics:

Huh?? Pretty sure he was the standout lmao

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Kinda surprised people are still pushing the idea Denzel might win. They aren’t giving him a third one for a shakespearean performance. It’s Smith or Cumberbatch.

Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

I would be SO happy if Simon Rex sneaks in!

Frontrunners:
    Benedict
    Will
    Denzel

Then:
    Simon
    Clifton
    Andrew

Bubbles:
    Udo
    Mahershala
    Nicolas
    Oscar

Declining:
    Peter
    Leo
    Bradley

A very subjective list. I am in the minority about my less favourable thoughts of Peter Dinklage and Bradley Cooper. Leo can sit this one out.

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Jon Bernthal
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

Kinda surprised people are still pushing the idea Denzel might win. They aren’t giving him a third one for a shakespearean performance. It’s Smith or Cumberbatch.

Having seen both, I think Denzel’s performance leaves a heftier impact and just generally has more career momentum after winning some major precursors for Fences. So if critics go for him and BAFTA tries to make up for never acknowledging him, it’s not that hard to see.

But then again I think Will is pretty far out ahead. I just don’t buy Benedict being the strongest alternative.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Sandra Bullock benefitted from The Blind Side making 300 million in the box office which I’m not even sure King Richard will be able to make 100 million in the current box office climate. More importantly Bullock’s competition was quite weak as her biggest competitor was a newcomer Mulligan whose film while being in a Best Picture contender only had 3 Oscar nominations. The Power of the Dog is likely to be an across the board contender which will boost Cumberbatch significantly as The Favourite’s nomination leader status and The Father’s overperformance in nominations foreshadowed Colman and Hopkins wins. Cumberbatch isn’t an unknown like Mulligan was at the time of 2009 either. He’s won an Emmy, plays Doctor Strange, and this will be his second Oscar nomination. If Cumerbatch collects BAFTA, it’ll be extremely tight between Smith and Cumberbatch for the Oscar.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

So if critics go for him and BAFTA tries to make up for never acknowledging him, it’s not that hard to see.

Critics are more likely to gravitate towards Cumberbatch since Best Picture and acting awards at critics circles tend to have a high correlation. Nomadland swept the critics awards and McDormand collected over 20 Best Actress awards along with the sweep. The Power of the Dog is likely to sweep this season’s critics awards as well.

Don’t really buy the Denzel narrative working at BAFTA considering the egregious snubs he’s had there at the past. It’s difficult to see the awards body want to reward this time on his first nomination. Narratives aren’t quite strong at BAFTA either. 4 Black women were nominated at the BAFTA for Best Actress and all of them still lost to McDormand despite the growing sentiment around BAFTA’s first ever Black Best Actress winner.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.