Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kbc
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Bart Barton
    Topics:

You can all quote me. Will Smith is not winning an Oscar for that terrible performance in a mediocre sappy sports movie. It’s a joke that all the so called pundits are picking him. They all picked Chadwick last year and that didn’t happen. All of this politically correct minority inclusion can get old after awhile. Right at the top Will and Denzel. I’ll stick to my guns. No for both!

Lol.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

You can all quote me. Will Smith is not winning an Oscar for that terrible performance in a mediocre sappy sports movie. It’s a joke that all the so called pundits are picking him. They all picked Chadwick last year and that didn’t happen. All of this politically correct minority inclusion can get old after awhile. Right at the top Will and Denzel. I’ll stick to my guns. No for both!

An unabashedly racist post.

Profile picture
    Vincent Figueroa
    Topics:

An unabashedly racist post.

But he tells the truth. Boseman’s performance was very weak and overacted and he almost got an Oscar simply because of the racial quota speech and in fact it was by far the worst of the nominees because to tell the truth it was not even the main characther who was Ma Rainey…
    I firmly believe that this year Denzel Washington can win it deservedly because he is a great actor and he acts in a good movie playing a terrible character. …but Will Smith has more than proved to be a very bad actor with regrettable roles in After Earth, Geminis,Suicide Squad.. and  this  movie looks almost like a sequel to Concussion. I agree with what some people pointed out that Idris Elba would have been great in this role. It is a new attempt to rescue his drama-biopic career due to their action movies no longer perform at the box office as they did a decade ago.

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

I will say that I 100% disagree with your politics here… I personally feel as if a minority should have won last year – Delroy Lindo! (But I think that film was far too subsersive for the Oscars and even for the film itself – the final ten minutes is basically a cop-out of the nihilism that has built up throughout).

All the same, I don’t see Denzel getting particularly close to the trophy for his artsy MacBeth movie. I think it could do well in techs, but, above the line, it’s more of an uphill battle than most people are making out.

It adheres to the text more closely than I thought it would and that’s not a good thing for its chances – and I don’t get the impression that Denzel Washington is going full hammy Laurence Olivier in an attempt to secure another Oscar… That’s a good thing, in regards to the long-term appreciation of the film, but, in regards to Oscar-nominations, I don’t know if he’s even a lock for a nomination. (Truth be told, I think the only three people close to locks are Will, Benedict and Leo).

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

But he tells the truth. Boseman’s performance was very weak and overacted and he almost got an Oscar simply because of the racial quota speech . I firmly believe that this year Denzel Washington can win it deservedly because he is a great actor and he acts in a good movie playing a terrible character. …but Will Smith has more than proved to be a very bad actor with regrettable roles in After Earth, Geminis,.. and this movie looks almost like a sequel to Concussion. I agree with what some people pointed out that Idris Elba would have been great in this role.

Eh… Will Smith is a pretty weak actor. He’s the most charismatic movie star to ever have a filmography as abysmal as his.

But him winning here has nothing to do with race. It’s very obviously more about his Star-Power and Hollywood’s blockbuster debt to him.

And, if the Oscars really cared about filling a racial quota (which I think some other Awards-bodies might be), then why did they nominate Gary Oldman over Delroy Lindo? Or Paul Raci over Chadwick Boseman?

To me, with the Oscars, I always feel as if they are pretty fair with these things, even during the #OscarsSoWhite era. All the films that do well in the acting categories are ones that do well across the board. Idris Elba and Will Smith would have been their films only nominations…

I’m pretty sure it’s the same reason that the likes of Adam Sandler (for Uncut Gems), Ethan Hawke (for First Reformed0 and DiCaprio (for Shutter Island) got snubbed.

Gone are the days of the 2006 line-up, which, basically, consisted entirely of sole nominations – Gosling, Whitaker, Will Smith and Peter O’Toole were the only nominations for their films, I believe… and Leo’s film wasn’t nominated for Best Picture.

For an actor to get into Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor, they usually need a film that has across-the-board support. In recent years, the only actors who’ve been nominated in Best Actor, without any other nominations, are Denzel for Roman J. Israel, Esq. and Defoe for At Eternity’s Gate. Both of which were filler nominations and never stood a chance in hell of winning.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Vincent Figueroa
    Topics:

Eh… Will Smith is a pretty weak actor. He’s the most charismatic movie star to ever have a filmography as abysmal as his. But him winning here has nothing to do with race. It’s very obviously more about his Star-Power and Hollywood’s blockbuster debt to him. And, if the Oscars really cared about filling a racial quota (which I think some other Awards-bodies might be), then why did they nominate Gary Oldman over Delroy Lindo? Or Paul Raci over Chadwick Boseman? To me, with the Oscars, I always feel as if they are pretty fair with these things, even during the #OscarsSoWhite era. All the films that do well in the acting categories are ones that do well across the board. Idris Elba and Will Smith would have been their films only nominations… I’m pretty sure it’s the same reason that the likes of Adam Sandler (for Uncut Gems), Ethan Hawke (for First Reformed0 and DiCaprio (for Shutter Island) got snubbed. Gone are the days of the 2006 line-up, which, basically, consisted entirely of sole nominations – Gosling, Whitaker, Will Smith and Peter O’Toole were the only nominations for their films, I believe… and Leo’s film wasn’t nominated for Best Picture. For an actor to get into Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor, they usually need a film that has across-the-board support. In recent years, the only actors who’ve been nominated in Best Actor, without any other nominations, are Denzel for Roman J. Israel, Esq. and Defoe for At Eternity’s Gate. Both of which were filler nominations and never stood a chance in hell of winning.

Three Oscar nominations for three biopics :  Ali,  The Pursuit of Happyness, King Richard.  Well, this is clearly playing it safe. Is the character or the actor rewarded?

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Well, I’m sure that Smith will at least be a convincing American which Cumberbatch absolutely isn’t. He may be menacing and introspective and whatever other **** but he’s just too British. Total cosplay whenever he puts on an American accent.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Eh… Will Smith is a pretty weak actor. He’s the most charismatic movie star to ever have a filmography as abysmal as his.

But him winning here has nothing to do with race. It’s very obviously more about his Star-Power and Hollywood’s blockbuster debt to him.

And, if the Oscars really cared about filling a racial quota (which I think some other Awards-bodies might be), then why did they nominate Gary Oldman over Delroy Lindo? Or Paul Raci over Chadwick Boseman?

To me, with the Oscars, I always feel as if they are pretty fair with these things, even during the #OscarsSoWhite era. All the films that do well in the acting categories are ones that do well across the board. Idris Elba and Will Smith would have been their films only nominations…

I’m pretty sure it’s the same reason that the likes of Adam Sandler (for Uncut Gems), Ethan Hawke (for First Reformed0 and DiCaprio (for Shutter Island) got snubbed.

Gone are the days of the 2006 line-up, which, basically, consisted entirely of sole nominations – Gosling, Whitaker, Will Smith and Peter O’Toole were the only nominations for their films, I believe… and Leo’s film wasn’t nominated for Best Picture.

For an actor to get into Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor, they usually need a film that has across-the-board support. In recent years, the only actors who’ve been nominated in Best Actor, without any other nominations, are Denzel for Roman J. Israel, Esq. and Defoe for At Eternity’s Gate. Both of which were filler nominations and never stood a chance in hell of winning.

Not sure about the definition of “recent years,” but since the awards for 2006 that you cite, we’ve had

Tommy Lee Jones, In the Valley of Elah
    Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises
    Richard Jenkins, The Visitor
    Colin Firth, A Single Man
    Demián Bichir, A Better Life

and of course the Bleecker Street duo (Bryan Cranston for Trumbo and Viggo Mortensen for Captain Fantastic).

Perhaps Clifton Collins Jr. may soon join the list. We’ll see…

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Celtic DW
    Topics:

I’ve seen the trailer for King Richard and Will Smith could possibly win! I really need to see the film

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

The original post was talking about how Benedict Cumberbatch is not the standout of the movie he leads.

Me to my self 

Profile picture
    Prince1
    Topics:

I don’t see Cumberbatch beating Smith.

Profile picture
    Go back to your rathole!
    Topics:

Of all the movie stars, Tom Cruise, is to me the most overdue for an Oscar win. But Cruise rarely appears in movies with layered context anymore.

I really thought Cruise had it in the bag for Magnolia, but then Caine made a slide from the left and took it from him.

So. So. So. Unfair

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Jon Bernthal
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Benedict Cumberbatch – Oscar, SAG, CC, GG (D)
    Peter Dinklage – Oscar, CC, GG (C/M)
    Andrew Garfield – Oscar, SAG, CC, GG (C/M)
    Will Smith – Oscar, SAG, CC, GG (D)
    Denzel Washington – Oscar, SAG, CC, GG (D)
    Bradley Cooper – SAG, GG (D)
    Joaquin Phoenix – CC, GG (D)
    Javier Bardem – GG (C/M)
    Leonardo DiCaprio – GG (C/M)
    Anthony Ramos – GG (C/M)

EMMYS FYC
    Dickinson – Hailee Steinfeld, Anna Baryshnikov
    Kevin Can F**k Himself – Mary Hollis Inboden
    Only Murders – James Caverley
    The Other Two – Drew Tarver, Heléne Yorke
    Physical – Rose Byrne
    Schmigadoon! – Ariana DeBose
    The White Lotus – Alexandra Daddario

Profile picture
    Pierce2Daniel
    Topics:

Do we think Daniel Craig has a chance at a nod for No Time to Die? I could see him getting nominated over the likes of Bradley Cooper or Anthony Ramos.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I do not foresee Daniel Craig getting nominated at all. Same with Ramos, except a nomination/win at the Globes seems feasible (maybe a CC nom with their numerous slots, but that’s unlikely). Cooper is more likely than both Craig and Ramos, especially if Nightmare Alley is as strong as it’s being predicted to be, but I think even he could miss (especially if the rumor from World of Reel that he’s unimpressive is true).

FYC -
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Lost Daughter, Mass
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Fran Kranz
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Corey Hawkins, Jason Isaacs
    Supporting Actress: Ruth Negga, Kirsten Dunst, Rebecca Ferguson, Martha Plimpton, Ann Dowd
    O. Screenplay: Spencer, Mass
    A. Screenplay: The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter
    Score: Jonny Greenwood (Dog/Spencer)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.