Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 462 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
39 mins ago
replies
views
users
kbc
loudtoilet
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Will Smith coming for the Oscars.

GQ profile now out

WS

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Will Smith coming for the Oscars. GQ profile now out WS

With this GQ profile, the Netflix comedy special and the memoir coming all later this year, i can’t see anyone else as the frontrunner right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Happy for will smith

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    orange juice
    Topics:

Vía GQ:
    Serena Williams says Will Smith’s portrayal of her father in #KingRichard was so convincing that there were moments she had to remind herself that it wasn’t actually her father on the screen. (@/FilmUpdates)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

With this GQ profile, the Netflix comedy special and the memoir coming all later this year, i can’t see anyone else as the frontrunner right now.

I love Will but right now there isn’t a clear frontrunner, Cumberbatch seemed like the frontrunner but apparently the hype for his movie is dying.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MD
    Topics:

I love Will but right now there isn’t a clear frontrunner, Cumberbatch seemed like the frontrunner but apparently the hype for his movie is dying.

Huh?? Lmao

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

The Power of The Dog hype is not dying. We see this every year after the onslaught of Venice, TIFF, Telluride & New York it’ll then going quiet until critics prizes are handed out and the real game begins.

Also Will Smith is 100% the Best Actor frontrunner right now. He’s going to be everywhere and campaigning his absolute arse off in a way we haven’t seen for a few years.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Huh?? Lmao

At first he was the clear frontrunner and then Will Smith appeared and then Denzel, i see three potential winners right there, i don’t see many people talking about the power of the dog right now, that’s why i said the hype is dying, but maybe I’m wrong lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

I see Dornan being this year’s Egerton. I see him getting nominated everywhere but Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

You can take Balfe Lead (and nominated) and Dench supporting to the bank. I know that messes up with some wishful thinking nominations but that’s what it is.

Actor/Supporting is more tricky for them re: Dornan who I feel is in a weaker position than Balfe.

Agreed, I think Dornan is likely to be fine though. He’s good! If the film’s a frontrunner, I have zero trouble putting him in. Can he miss for a bigger name? Sure, but those films need to perform well because of Actor–BP.

They might sacrifice one or two nominations, but trade it for a potential winner! Unless you think than Balfe/Dench or Dornan/Hinds are canceling each other out.

I think they just might cancel each other out. It’s kind of a shame to nix Hinds in particular tbh. I quite liked him.

I am getting tired of this repeated mantra that Judi Dench and Ciaran Hinds have “nothing roles”. This is NOT true at all! They both have roles that could potentially get them an Oscar nomination and in Judi Dench’s case a second Oscar. They are true supporting roles in the best sense.

Reverse it, Hinds was better. I respect your opinion, good for you, but why is it that the people who quote The Oscar Expert all the time skip over the fact that even they (very populist) thought Dench wasn’t strong enough. FWIW I disagree with them — she’ll get in without Balfe in the category, she does have an “Oscar scene”, it’s just not all that good. The real problem is: Hinds and Dench exemplify people’s biggest issue with the film. Too schmaltzy. And it’s sad but true that the two grandparents have to play that schmaltz while the sexy young actors Balfe and Dornan get some meat on their bones. For me, they’re easy coattails but because I’m struggling to be generous to the film in the first place, I just……lol I can’t see Dench winning. And as her fan, I don’t want her to win for this (just like last year with Glenn Close who was in a worse film but I thought she got out unscathed the most). It would be a really really sad win (unlike Balfe who I wouldn’t think that would be a TERRIBLE winner, just a boring one. She really carries sooooo much, I can’t help but admire that).

In Actor, yeah even I’d slot in Dornan honestly lol. He’s good! And again — I do not like this film, so if a…hater like me…can do that, so can voters as a whole 🤷🏽‍♂️

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I see Dornan being this year’s Egerton. I see him getting nominated everywhere but Oscars.

Poor guy. Not a totally fair comparison tho because Rocketman wasn’t a frontrunner for even a millisecond lol. But yeah I can see that, I just feel bad for him. He really did make this….honestly pretty dull and annoyint film….so so so so much more watchable than it deserved to be. Him and Balfe. I respect that honestly.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Predicted Best Actor Lineup: Late September

Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    Will Smith, King Richard
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of The Dog
    Bradley Cooper, Nightmare Alley
    Steven Yeun, The Humans

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Late September predix:

1. Will Smith, King Richard
    2. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    3. Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    4. Joaquin Phoenix, C’mon C’mon
    5. Jamie Dornan, Belfast

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Late September predix: 1. Will Smith, King Richard 2. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog 3. Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth 4. Joaquin Phoenix, C’mon C’mon 5. Jamie Dornan, Belfast

Interesting. You have Dornan stealing Leo’s place. I’m not ready to change my predictions yet, but that’s where my mind is going. I also have Phoenix instead of Cooper.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Poor guy. Not a totally fair comparison tho because Rocketman wasn’t a frontrunner for even a millisecond lol. But yeah I can see that, I just feel bad for him. He really did make this….honestly pretty dull and annoyint film….so so so so much more watchable than it deserved to be. Him and Balfe. I respect that honestly.

You didn’t like Belfast?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 462 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.