Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 505 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Chitanda170
Dorsey
kamila
  • Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

It seems like Will is the frontrunner,but I don’t buy a win yet.
    I still don’t believe the academy would go for Cumberbatch’s performance

Andrew Garfield might be able to be a silent threat

The academy seems to want to give Denzel his third Oscar, so I’m sticking with him to get the win.

And the Globes are more than likely itching to give Will his first win (it’s crazy how he hasn’t won there yet). SAG will feel the same. We know BAFTA won’t go to Denzel even if he somehow gets the nomination. That leaves a very, very narrow path to victory for him. This isn’t 2002 anymore.

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

Interesting that lots of expert have Garfield getting in now, including Anne Thompson and Joyce Eng.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Just watched tick, tick… BOOM! — Andrew Garfield was absolutely flawless. He better get nominated.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Will Smith

2. Benedict Cumberbatch

3. Leonardo DiCaprio

4. Denzel Washington

5. Andrew Garfield

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Just saw C’mon, C’mon and Joaquin Phoenix is great in it, one of his best ever performances. It starts off slow but his performance builds. He is matched by the little boy who plays his nephew (and he gives a co-lead performance – blanking out on his name at the moment). He would be a worthwhile Best Actor nominee.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I want to be predicting C’mon C’mon for my tenth Picture slot, but I have trouble seeing it nominated without Phoenix and I’m just not sure how to fit him in.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

If Andrew Garfield is nominated- and I think he should be— I hope this is his Oscar clip:

(Sondheim (re)recorded the voice message at Lin-Manuel Miranda’s request for the filming of Tick, Tick… Boom.)

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

I want to be predicting C’mon C’mon for my tenth Picture slot, but I have trouble seeing it nominated without Phoenix and I’m just not sure how to fit him in.

If they miraculously nominated C’mon C’mon, they will 100% nominated Joaquin, but that’s a stretch, I’m not sure if the members of the Academy will bother to see this movie.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Will Smith better hope that Tick, Tick…BOOM! is being met with apathy by BAFTA voters because with the poor box office the film has had outside of the US and how buzzless King Richard was with its LFF and BAFTA screenings he is at risk of missing out on being in the BAFTA top two and getting snubbed there completely.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

If Will Smith misses the top 2 at BAFTA, it won’t be to Andrew Garfield who would be lucky to be top 5.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Will Smith misses the top 2 at BAFTA, it won’t be to Andrew Garfield who would be lucky to be top 5.

If he does end up being a top tier contender for the Oscar nomination (which he could even though it’s not something I’m predicting or – that I assume – neither yourself are predicting) there’s no reason why a British actor who already has more membership BAFTA film nominations than he does at the Oscars can’t have a disproportionately stronger performance with a British awards group.

These are the same people who nominated Margot Robbie playing an English queen in a British film and Claire Foy over Regina King when she won her Oscar and Saoirse Ronan for The Lovely Bones over Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    K Olivia
    Topics:

Javier Bardem, Being the Ricardos
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    Leonardo DiCaprio, Don’t Look Up
    Will Smith, King Richard
    Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

If he does end up being a top tier contender for the Oscar nomination (which he could even though it’s not something I’m predicting or – that I assume – neither yourself are predicting) there’s no reason why a British actor who already has more membership BAFTA film nominations than he does at the Oscars can’t have a disproportionately stronger performance with a British awards group.

These are the same people who nominated Margot Robbie playing an English queen in a British film and Claire Foy over Regina King when she won her Oscar and Saoirse Ronan for The Lovely Bones over Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side.

A few things. I don’t think Garfield is getting nominated at the Oscars. I think this is just an overreaction that happens when a movie is just released and people are just now watching it where people become shortsighted and over predict it.

My main point is that just because King Richard didn’t dominate the UK box office does not necessarily mean Will Smith is not a top contender anymore. Because it’s not like Tick Tick Boom dominated Netflix streaming in the UK either. In fact Tick Tick Boom has largely made no impact anywhere in the world…

The other thing is that Garfield is a musical performance in a year full of so many acclaimed musical performances. There is Dinklage, there was Driver, there was Ramos, there is Garfield and there will be even more like Elgort. Musical performances do not get that much support as it is but in a year where the globes are marginalized and there is a wealth of options to choose from, I don’t think any one musical performance will generate enough support to get nominated at BAFTA or the Oscars. Certainly not enough to be top 2 at BAFTA that’s for sure. The BAFTA jury might still pick Garfield because who knows how they will work but to suggest he is over Smith because King Richard’s box office is ignoring the reality that even less people care about Tick Tick Boom in the UK.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Will Smith is the frontrunner until otherwise proven.

We like to look for the Oscar scene, that moment where the actor gets the chance to throw themselves into the arms of raw emotion and show us what they’re made of.

Will Smith’s Oscar scene lasts 140 minutes. It starts when King Richard starts and ends when King Richard ends. This is a megawatt performance of Movie Star proportions.

There’s also simply no denying that he has an overdue narrative. He’s not just a household veteran but one of the biggest movie stars of the modern age, and he’s out there campaigning to remind everyone of that. The movie won’t have to blow up the box office for him to win.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.