Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 505 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Chitanda170
Dorsey
kamila
  • Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Benedict takes the Southern Eastern Film Critics Association Award! ❤️

Daddy Ben is on a roll lmao

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

Joaquin Phoenix is so freaking dead 😪

That’s too bad I really want him in the rest of the slot

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Yep. Ali will be out to make room for Garfield (projected C/M winner) most likely. Cumby-Smith-Washongton stay. Garfield in. Bardem stays by coattailing Kidman (likelier) or makes room for Leo or Dinklage (less so). Leo would be the 3rd Netflix actor which is unlikely. Dinklage movie doesn’t have that much traction outside of his performance.

Cyrano is a very strange beast. It hits once every 3 critics awards nominations lists (Dinklage won 1 right?) but not frequently enough. I dunno, I do still think the first time nominee stat is CRAZY strong and I’m pretty sure the critics awards will eventually have strengthened at least one actor who’d be a first time nominee, I just have no idea who that’ll be yet! Honestly Dinklage could still get in, he has the reputation for his 1st nod. It’s just that Cyrano……… most people just don’t give a shit about it?

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Rooting for Nicholas Cage here (since no one here is) lol

Lol, I love Nic but I hate Pig so much, it doesn’t deserve any hype imo.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

That’s too bad I really want him in the rest of the slot

I knew this will happen, the movie is too small and no one is campaigning.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Industry awards are different than critics prizes. It is often the case that the performer who wins the most critics prizes does not win a the industry awards, and sometimes doesn’t even get nominated (Ethan Hawke and Lupita N’yong’o did great a few years ago with the critics and weren’t nominated for the Oscar). But I hope Cumberbatch wins and not Smith.

OK I really do want to correct this and please forgive me I’m not trying to be an asshole at all, your broader point is correct but critics prize leaders very much do matter. Every year way too many people blithely dismiss them, so I mean to correct you respectfully, I promise. It is not true that they “often” miss. You mentioned 2 of 3 exceptions in the last 6 years. Here are the critics leaders of past years (people who missed in italics, eventual winners in bold):

2020 – Boseman, Mulligan, Kaluuya, Youn
    2019 – Driver, Nyong’o, Pitt, Dern
    2018 – Hawke, Collette/Colman (tie), Grant, King
    2017 – Oldman, Hawkins, Dafoe, Metcalf
    2016 – Affleck, Portman, Ali, Davis
    2015 – DiCaprio, Larson, Stone, Vikander

Ofc someone can miss, but come on man… Literally only 3 of the last 25 missed. With both Nyong’o and Collette (who tied with Colman) we kinda saw it coming from a mile away, because the horror genre bias is strong, but still—they’re exceptions.

Far more often, the critics leader goes on to win: 12/25, i.e. 48% of the time. You’re right that the industry awards are not the same, but 22/25 of the critics leaders landed nods, 12 of them won…that’s pretty good. Also: if the winners are not critics prize leaders, they’re almost always 2nd or 3rd in terms of critics prizes. Olivia Colman tied with Collette, Rami Malek was 3rd after Hawke & Bale, Renee Zellweger was 3rd after Nyong’o & Johansson.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

The fifth slot feels so wide open right now I really have no idea what to do with it. Dinklage, I guess? And I really don’t think we can rule out Cage at this point, although I still think he’ll be Hawke’d.

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

I knew this will happen, the movie is too small and no one is campaigning.

I blame a24 for this.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

CRITICS CHOICE
    Nicolas Cage – Pig
    Benedict Cumberbatch – The Power of the Dog
    Peter Dinklage – Cyrano
    Andrew Garfield – tick, tick…Boom!
    Will Smith – King Richard
    Denzel Washington – The Tragedy of Macbeth

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

Cyrano is a very strange beast. It hits once every 3 critics awards nominations lists (Dinklage won 1 right?) but not frequently enough. I dunno, I do still think the first time nominee stat is CRAZY strong and I’m pretty sure the critics awards will eventually have strengthened at least one actor who’d be a first time nominee, I just have no idea who that’ll be yet! Honestly Dinklage could still get in, he has the reputation for his 1st nod. It’s just that Cyrano……… most people just don’t give a shit about it?

Also have to wonder if there’s going to be some musical fatigue somewhere. For now, I have Dinklage, Cage, and (a touch behind) Bardem all hanging on for that 5th spot. The first time nominee dynamic is interesting, but so many of the slots are so aggressively locked up that the Academy might not have a choice. Also, I forget about Garfield’s Hacksaw Ridge nomination all the time…oops

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

Cage takes Las Vegas

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

Benedict’s performance in The Power of the Dog named the best of the year according to 187 critics and journalists from around the world

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/12/best-movies-2021-critics-survey-poll-performances-1234684568/?s=09

Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

go ahead and keep underestimating Dinklage…take out Cage and this is your 5.

FYC:

Best Picture: C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix (C'mon C'mon), Andrew Garfield (Tick, Tick... Boom!)
    Supporting Actress: Gaby Hoffman (C'mon C'mon), Ann Dowd (Mass), Ruth Negga (Passing)
    Supporting Actor: Jason Isaacs (Mass), Robin de Jesús (Tick, Tick... Boom!)

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Benedict Cumberbatch, Peter Dinklage, Andrew Garfield, Will Smith, Denzel Washington is such a safe top 5.

Bet against it a your own risk.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.