Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 511 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
kamila
Milk Money
  • Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

The fact that you think that’s something to joke about tells me you’re not really joking.

Ikr

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Cause he’s black… j/k. I just think he’s arrogant and his personality just doesn’t vibe with me.

Wtf…that jk was disgusting and not funny

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

All I can think is that baity is on a sliding scale for him as when I look at his recent notable turns it’s a lot of Bad Boys and Suicide Squad and CG birds and genies. While Garfield and Cumberbatch always move between serious and populist fare.

Hasn’t Will always done that? Around Men in Black II, he did Ali. Around Hitch, he did Pursuit of Happyness. This is nothing new for Will. He always follows up or coincides box office fodder with a serious biopic of some sort.

Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

Wtf…that jk was disgusting and not funny

That “joke” is definitely a reason why many hate Smith here. He actually shows you personality and gets called arrogant. Smith doesn’t go around claiming anything and he doesn’t throw salt at anyone. Trust me, that “joke” a little truth to how many feel on here.

Profile picture
    Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

Frances McDormand
    Anthony Hopkins
    Eddie Redmayne
    Marion Cotillard
    Olivia Colman

You know what all these had in common? They won BAFTA over the supposed frontrunners (in McDormand’s case, none of her competitors but one was nominated at BAFTA) and ended up winning the Oscar.

Lol @ televised speeches. Like Glenn winning the Globe and giving a fabulous speech but still losing the Oscar? And let’s see if we get these normal speeches with COVID-19 around.

I know this is just a small part of what you’ve written, and I agree with your argument, but just a slight nitpick. Eddie Redmayne didn’t win at BAFTA over the frontrunner at the time, because he was the frontrunner. Once Redmayne won at SAG, he had that Oscar in his bag and everyone knew that. It’s not comparable to the other folks you’ve listed, since their Oscar victories were legitimate surprises to a lot, if not most, people. Anyone who was surprised by Redmayne’s Oscar had to have been living under a rock.

Profile picture
    Baroque
    Topics:

Hasn’t Will always done that? Around Men in Black II, he did Ali. Around Hitch, he did Pursuit of Happyness. This is nothing new for Will. He always follows up or coincides box office fodder with a serious biopic of some sort.

Oh for sure, but I think it’s just been a pretty long drought this time since he did something more serious. (And had some bombs like Bright in there.) So when he does something good and serious again, people say “bait!” when it really isn’t, overall. It’s just a serious role.

FYC: 🐕 & 🐖

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

I know this is just a small part of what you’ve written, and I agree with your argument, but just a slight nitpick. Eddie Redmayne didn’t win at BAFTA over the frontrunner at the time, because he was the frontrunner. Once Redmayne won at SAG, he had that Oscar in his bag and everyone knew that. It’s not comparable to the other folks you’ve listed, since their Oscar victories were legitimate surprises to a lot, if not most, people. Anyone who was surprised by Redmayne’s Oscar had to have been living under a rock.

I always thought Keaton won SAG, so I stand corrected.

Still, those other four prove how much the British branch have mattered in recent years. BAFTA does matter.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Frances McDormand
    Anthony Hopkins
    Eddie Redmayne
    Marion Cotillard
    Olivia Colman

You know what all these had in common? They won BAFTA over the supposed frontrunners

Redmayne isn’t a valid example since he won SAG (Keaton was never the frontrunner anyway, just the hipster choice), and all those other cases were not up against GG+SAG winners who were in a Best Picture nominee.

People on this forum use stats so poorly. Look at the actual performances and films. Will Smith is the “Redmayne” of this year, the more sympathetic and inspiring character, who critics don’t love as much because it’s considered more basic. Cumberbatch is the “Keaton”, the edgier performance that doesn’t tug on as many heartstrings for general audiences.

These people also won BAFTA’s, but neither SAG or Oscar:

Carey Mulligan – An Education
    Emmanuelle Riva – Amour
    Mickey Rourke – The Wrestler
    Colin Firth – A Single Man
    Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave

It goes both ways. I think Cumberbatch will win BAFTA because he’s British, and Smith’s film (and filmography) is specifically very American. But it won’t carry over to the Oscars. Will Smith has been a known property in America for 30 years. Cumberbatch for 1/3 that amount of time. This isn’t a Hopkins vs Boseman situation. Smith has actual legacy, and a better character and film compared to Boseman.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Like I said… 🙂

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

Boseman had a much more powerful narrative going into the Oscars. It didn’t really matter who his character was. And if Will wins, it won’t be because his character is sympathetic either. Remember Ellis is winning more than him in an arguably more competitive field.

It’s impossible to compare him to Redmayne or Boseman unless he wins the SAG like they did.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

“Will Smith has been a known property in America for 30 years. Cumberbatch for 1/3 that amount of time.”

Interesting take because I’m sure this was the same case for Glenn Close vs. Olivia Colman just a few years ago. Granted Glenn was the only showing for her movie, the narrative of her being the overdue veteran with 40+ years under her belt vs. a relatively newcomer in the States was being used heavily. Some of you are trying to find an equivalent to Will in order to prove that he is this runaway frontrunner. First it was “the Sandra Bullock of the year,” even though she was a white woman in two box office smashes that year; King Richard was a box office bomb. Now he’s “the Redmayne of the year,” even though he probably won’t even be nominated at BAFTA, let alone win it. lmao

Love Will and have nothing against him, but this happens every year and I can’t wait until it all falls apart.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Boseman had a much more powerful narrative going into the Oscars. It didn’t really matter who his character was.

Neither of those things are true. Boseman died and that’s it. He didn’t have legacy as some super important star or actor, and of course the character you play matters. His character was difficult to like, in a film that wasn’t loved, and the performance rather one-note, plus it wasn’t a sole lead performance. Smith has literally every advantage over Boseman. Except for not dying irl.

And if Will wins, it won’t be because his character is sympathetic either. Remember Ellis is winning more than him in an arguably more competitive field.

She’s winning critics awards. I wouldn’t say her field is more competitive either, where critics are concerned. Cumberbatch is a typical critics sweeper, a performance both big and “artful” at the same time, in a beloved auteur-driven film; it ticks all the boxes they want to see. There is absolutely no reason to think Smith should be winning critics awards over him. A large part of the reason why Ellis is being treated more kindly by critics is because the film is viewed as a “Smith vehicle”, whereas she seemingly comes into it with little-to-no ego, a “real character actress” who isn’t trying to awards bait.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

How does being known in the US have any relevance? Yuh-jung Youn just beat Glenn Close and Amanda Seyfried.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

How does being known in the US have any relevance? Yuh-jung Youn just beat Glenn Close and Amanda Seyfried.

The Oscars are a largely American voting body. They know and appreciate Smith’s career more than BAFTA.

Glenn Close was in a panned film and Seyfried had a nothing role, and wasn’t an acclaimed actress to begin with. These comparisons are not it.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Everyone and their cat has beaten Glenn Close at the Oscars at this point. Look at the amount of US vs non-US actors to win this century.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 511 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.