Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 9)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 513 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Donda
Monet Tejada
  • Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Poor Ethan Hawke being brought up every time someone is trying to downplay the influence critics have on the race

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

It also doesn’t make sense to think a film with low audience ratings like PoTD is going to win 3 above the line Oscars. It is factually not very much liked not even on Letterboxd lol, but I guess it doesn’t matter because that’s what everyone on this board is stanning, so they don’t want to see that part.

The people who think TPOTD will win Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Actor, AND Supporting Actor are in for a rude awakening.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    Donda
    Topics:

The people who think TPOTD will win Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Actor, AND Supporting Actor are in for a rude awakening.

Exactly, the definition of wishful thinking.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

How are we defining “not very much liked?” TPOTD is hardly panned, and with the pedigree behind it that has to count for something.

Profile picture
    Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

People are taking some of these audience scores too seriously. Since TPOTD is on Netflix, it’s available to practically everyone. This means you’ll have people who see Sherlock Holmes with a cowboy hat tuning in because they think they’re getting something action-packed or typically western. And of course they’re gonna be disappointed. And because it’s Netflix, people can just turn off the movie whenever they want. Inevitably, some of these opinions factor into audience scores, like those we see on IMDb and RT. Conversely, when you go to the theater, you’re gonna make sure twice that you’re spending your money on something you’re most likely gonna take to. Does that make any sense?

TPOTD is not a GP film — Jane Campion is so obviously not interested in watering down her film to make it appeal to everyone. But it also doesn’t need to be for the GP for it to win Oscars. The academy doesn’t always go for GP films!

Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

Leo in Don’t Look Up is the best I’ve seen him, and I will now add him to my predictions. Such a weird feeling for me. I think he was overrated in pretty much everything his is praised for, but he was THE highlight of DLU and is better than the two front runners.

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

How are we defining “not very much liked?” TPOTD is hardly panned, and with the pedigree behind it that has to count for something.

Now that DLU is doing so well on Netflix, there’s revisionist history about TPOTD.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

People are taking some of these audience scores too seriously. Since TPOTD is on Netflix, it’s available to practically everyone. This means you’ll have people who see Sherlock Holmes with a cowboy hat tuning in because they think they’re getting something action-packed or typically western. And of course they’re gonna be disappointed. And because it’s Netflix, people can just turn off the movie whenever they want. Inevitably, some of these opinions factor into audience scores, like those we see on IMDb and RT. Conversely, when you go to the theater, you’re gonna make sure twice that you’re spending your money on something you’re most likely gonna take to. Does that make any sense? TPOTD is not a GP film — Jane Campion is so obviously not interested in watering down her film to make it appeal to everyone. But it also doesn’t need to be for the GP for it to win Oscars. The academy doesn’t always go for GP films!

Very well said.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Leo in Don’t Look Up is the best I’ve seen him, and I will now add him to my predictions. Such a weird feeling for me. I think he was overrated in pretty much everything his is praised for, but he was THE highlight of DLU and is better than the two front runners.

Same here!

Profile picture
    Donda
    Topics:

People are taking some of these audience scores too seriously. Since TPOTD is on Netflix, it’s available to practically everyone. This means you’ll have people who see Sherlock Holmes with a cowboy hat tuning in because they think they’re getting something action-packed or typically western. And of course they’re gonna be disappointed. And because it’s Netflix, people can just turn off the movie whenever they want. Inevitably, some of these opinions factor into audience scores, like those we see on IMDb and RT. Conversely, when you go to the theater, you’re gonna make sure twice that you’re spending your money on something you’re most likely gonna take to. Does that make any sense? TPOTD is not a GP film — Jane Campion is so obviously not interested in watering down her film to make it appeal to everyone. But it also doesn’t need to be for the GP for it to win Oscars. The academy doesn’t always go for GP films!

Well, when has a film this artsy dominated the above the line categories? You can’t possibly expect it to win Picture, Director, Lead Actor, Supp Actor and Adapted Screenplay. It just seems very very unlikely to happen

Profile picture
    Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

You can’t possibly expect this film to win Picture, Director, Lead Actor, Supp Actor and Adapted Screenplay. It just seems very very unlikely to happen

I never actually said this was happening, so I am not sure what you are referring to. And if you are referring to my predictions — what I am predicting right now is not what I will ultimately be predicting, obviously.

Profile picture
    Donda
    Topics:

I never actually said this was happening, so I am not sure what you are referring to. And if you are referring to my predictions — what I am predicting right now is not what I will ultimately be predicting, obviously.

Well, the debate was whether or not PoTD was well liked enough to pull off such performance at the Oscars, winning 4+ above the line awards. And you said it doesn’t have to be well liked/GP friendly to achieve this feat. This is what I was referring to, when I responded to your post.

Profile picture
    Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

Fair enough, though I did say it doesn’t need good audience scores to win “Oscars” — I never mentioned a specific bnunber. It’s way too early to be talking confidently about how many it’s gonna scoop up.

Profile picture
    ravenprince22
    Topics:

I just love when people use winners like Phoenix, Oldman or even Malek. We’re very much in a different situation here, as a sweep is likely not happening. How is someone who swept relevant to determine the winner in a split race lmao

No one knew Oldman and Malek were going to sweep until they did. Someone could sweep this year, probably Cumberbatch.

Profile picture
    Donda
    Topics:

No one knew Oldman and Malek were going to sweep until they did. Someone could sweep this year, probably Cumberbatch.

Benedict Cumberbatch is not going to win at the Globes and SAG, you can bookmark this, just like Smith won’t stand a chance at Bafta. This is quite obviously a split race. I’m done with this subject until further notice.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.