Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 514 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
fefface
kaziz
Diamond Tier
  • Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

July predictions:

*-could go for Supporting

1. Denzel Washington – The Tragedy of Macbeth

2. Adam Driver – House of Gucci/The Last Duel*/Annette (unless all 3 flop, which is very much possible, I’m quite sure he’s getting in for one of them)

3. Benedict Cumberbatch – Power of the Dog

4. Bradley Cooper – Nightmare Alley

5. Will Smith – King Richard

6. Leonardo DiCaprio – Don’t Look Up

7. Christian Bale/John David Washington – Canterbury Glass (not sure which is the lead and which is the co-lead that drops in supporting and sweeps)

8. Peter Dinklage – Cyrano

9. Michael Fassbender – Next Goal Wins (is that even coming out this year)

10. Clifton Collins Jr. – Jockey

11. Jason Isaacs – Mass*

12. Oscar Isaac – The Card Counter

13. Justin Chon – Blue Bayou

14. Michael B. Jordan – A Journal for Jordan

15. Park Hae-il – Decision to Leave* (hopefully Youn’s win has opened the doors for more Asian actors to get in)

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Okay so this is dull and boring just listing our predix. How about we discuss!

Topic: Is Bradley Cooper going to miss a la Robert De Niro for the Irishman? They just seem sooo comparable.

Cooper is incredibly baity whereas De Niro wasn’t, and Cooper has been more consistent/present with the academy in recent years than De Niro has been throughout his career so no, they aren’t really comparable.

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

Cooper is incredibly baity whereas De Niro wasn’t, and Cooper has been more consistent/present with the academy in recent years than De Niro has been throughout his career so no, they aren’t really comparable.

Maybe when Cooper has been through 2 decades of mostly sh*tty rom-coms in his filmography we can start talking about snubs

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Depending on how Annette is received, I can also see Adam Driver going through critically acclaimed route but I still think the movie is “too weird” for the Academy’s standards.

It very likely will be but as I mentioned in my post from listening to the selected soundtrack that was released yesterday my expectations for Driver in this role are very high.

And he also has House of Gucci, which while not a straightforward biopic does kind of fulfil that criteria as everyone in it is/was a real person.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

1—Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    2—Adam Driver, Annette
    3—Oscar Isaac, The Card Counter
    4—Will Smith, King Richard
    5—Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth

Unless it’s Dunst who’s going to breakout and win from The Power of the Dog (like Stone from La La Land or JLaw from SLP), I think this is Cumberbatch’s to lose. The role is just too good. That being said, Denzel Washington feels due for his 3rd & Adam Driver just keeps on having a fab career so…I dunno. Cooper/DiCaprio/Dinklage could sneak in but these feel like safe predictions.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Cooper/DiCaprio/Dinklage could sneak in but these feel like safe predictions.

I’d say both Cooper and DiCaprio are safer bets than Oscar Isaac at this stage.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

SUPER EARLY PREDICTIONS

Best Actor
    Christian Bale, Canterbury Glass
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    Adam Driver, House of Gucci
    Will Smith, King Richard
    Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Even if Annette ends up being too weird, I still hope Driver can get in for Best Actor. I’d rather he get nominated for an original musical like Annette, instead of a typical Oscar friendly  film like House of Gucci. Also: Carax did an interview where he talked about the characters in detail, and he pretty much spoiled the film’s ending and what happens.</p>

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

My money is on Will vs Denzel. But I could see Benedict being competitive for the win too

Profile picture
    I saw you, Erica!
    Topics:

July 2021 Predictions Best Actor:
    Michael Fassbender – Next Goal Wins
    Christian Bale – Canterbury Glass
    Benedict Cumberbatch – The Power of the Dog
    Amir Jahidi – A Hero
    Ralph Fiennes – The Forgiven

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Director: Denis Villeneuve, Dune
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Supporting Actress: Toni Collette
    Best Supporting Actor: Jason Isaacs
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Clifton Collins, Jr. is one of those unsung actors who deserves mainstream recognition. Hopefully Jockey does things for him this awards season. It sounds like a baity role.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

He is coming:

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

It very likely will be but as I mentioned in my post from listening to the selected soundtrack that was released yesterday my expectations for Driver in this role are very high. And he also has House of Gucci, which while not a straightforward biopic does kind of fulfil that criteria as everyone in it is/was a real person.

I somehow struggle to see Driver winning for House Of Gucci. I feel like him, Bale and DiCaprio are all pretty obvious predictions for nominations, but it’s impossible for me to see any of them winning. I think it’s probably because I feel like Gucci is going to have a showier performance from Gaga…

I feel like Washington and Smith are in films that are pretty much being set-up for them to get a Best Actor Oscar. However, I can see Washington suffering from the early frontrunner plague, because, on paper, he’s the obvious winner here. I could, also, see a reality where King Richard ends up not being terribly good, which stops any real chance of Smith winning – and it’s not going to be a Bohemian Rhapsody or Joker where it’s divisive but gets great box office (I don’t think there is much desire for a film where Will Smith plays the father/couch of two of the most famous sportswomen in the world…). I think Cumberbatch is possible for a win, but only if the film ends up being a hit, which is far from a guarantee where Jane Campion is concerned. If it becomes a Best Picture frontrunner, then it’s very easy to see Cumberbatch winning. I think a situation where Bradley Cooper wins for Nightmare Alley is, also, plausible. The film revolves around his character and it’s the kind of deep-dive role, more along the lines of Silver Linings Playbook and A Star Is Born… There’s, also, his 4 prior nominations, which gives him ammunition for a campaign saying it’s “his time”, as they say. All the same, it’s eminently possible he wins in Supporting for Soggy Bottom where he’s playing what appears to be a somewhat intense film director or he could win the year after this for Maestro, where he’s, in blunt terms, playing a closeted homosexual.

On the whole, at the moment, they’re the only four that I think have “Win Potential”, although I am more than willing to be proven wrong lol.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I somehow struggle to see Driver winning for House Of Gucci. I feel like him, Bale and DiCaprio are all pretty obvious predictions for nominations, but it’s impossible for me to see any of them winning. I think it’s probably because I feel like Gucci is going to have a showier performance from Gaga

I think Gaga could end up overshadowing Driver in HoG.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.