Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 515 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
fefface
kaziz
Music Forever
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I don’t say this to drag Will Smith, cause I do like the guy despite how big of a meme he’s become, but I have a hard time seeing him winning for this role. I know someone who saw a test screening said he was very good but the film itself was bleh, which doesn’t help when there’s competition. I’m willing to bet that Renee would not have won for Judy if she was going up against Olivia Colman or Emma Stone, and obviously Andra Day didn’t go farther than her Globe win and Oscar nomination (she was probably 4th when it was all said and done). Point is that you can give a good performance (I say this while also thinking Renee was awful in Judy lmao) but if the movie isn’t very good you won’t go anywhere in terms of winning an Oscar unless the competition is just really weak. There are other contenders who will likely be stronger (Cumberbatch, Cooper, Denzel)

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

LOL all of those click bait articles were written in 2019. 2 whole years ago before the film was even shot. 😂 Literally NO ONE cares but you. The Internet has moved on and maybe you should too. As I said, King Richard is NOT mired in controversy & is in a very good position to be a strong contender. Try again.

Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

I know someone who saw a test screening said he was very good but the film itself was bleh, which doesn’t help when there’s competition.

No shade, but can we stop using “I know someone who saw this” as a way to legitimize the fact that you personally don’t want to see certain films or actors nominated? Maybe wait until you’ve seen the movie yourself to make that informed assessment.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

No shade, but can we stop using “I know someone who saw this” as a way to legitimize the fact that you personally don’t want to see certain films or actors nominated? Maybe wait until you’ve seen the movie yourself to make that informed assessment.

You think I don’t know this is anecdotal? I literally said on the Actress thread yesterday that I could be wrong about anything. I’m just telling you what I know

FYC

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

You think I don’t know this is anecdotal? I literally said on the Actress thread yesterday that I could be wrong about anything. I’m just telling you what I know

I think the point might be more that you’re posting multiple ‘I know this and I heard this and I have sources’ posts on multiple threads when you don’t actually know anything.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I think the point might be more that you’re posting multiple ‘I know this and I heard this and I have sources’ posts on multiple threads when you don’t actually know anything.

I do have connections and know more than a lot of people on this site, but if you want me to shut up then fine

FYC

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

LOL all of those click bait articles were written in 2019. 2 whole years ago before the film was even shot. 😂 Literally NO ONE cares but you. The Internet has moved on and maybe you should too. As I said, King Richard is NOT mired in controversy & is in a very good position to be a strong contender. Try again.

The reception received by In the Heights demonstrates the weakness of your assertion that “literally NO ONE cares” and “the Internet has moved on….” There’s an open question about how much and how many people care, but concerns about colourism and casting choices do continue to exist. The extent to which these concerns will have an impact on Will Smith’s awards chances for King Richard remains to be seen.

Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

In the Heights was an ensemble highlighting a specific segment of America that is often times under represented. Will Smith is headlining a singular story about a man whose story isn’t as ingrained in the social consciousness. So it will be easier for general audiences to suspend disbelief (as they did with his portrayal of Chris Gardner in The Pursuit of Happyness). Again, it will NOT impact his awards potential.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

In the Heights was an ensemble highlighting a specific segment of America that is often times under represented. Will Smith is headlining a singular story about a man whose story isn’t as ingrained in the social consciousness.

King Richard is about the under representation of Black athletes in professional tennis and the racism faced by Venus and Serena Williams in gaining the opportunities they deserved in a lily-white country club sport. It’s not a “singular story” and their struggle is VERY “ingrained in the social consciousness.”

Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

King Richard is the singular story about a father raising his children to become Tennis pros. It is NOT an ensemble about a collective ethnic group living in a specific area of America. Also, Venus & Serena’s story is ingrained in the public’s consciousness. NOT their fathers. Again, Smith’s awards potential won’t be effected. Try again.

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Oscar nominee George MacKay for Wolf anyone?

Still celebrating Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

FYC Emmys: The Underground Railroad

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I do have connections and know more than a lot of people on this site, but if you want me to shut up then fine

It’s not that people want you to shut up – that’s not what I’m trying to say. What I mean is that being all over threads with the tone of ‘I know things that you don’t know because of my connections’ might get people’s backs up and maybe be aware of it.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

King Richard is the singular story about a father raising his children to become Tennis pros. It is NOT an ensemble about a collective ethnic group living in a specific area of America. Also, Venus & Serena’s story is ingrained in the public’s consciousness. NOT their fathers. Again, Smith’s awards potential won’t be effected. Try again.

I love it when people think simply repeating an assertion makes it true.

Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

I love it when people think simply repeating an assertion makes it true.

I love it when people think simply being wrong means they’re right.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Any controversy can arise with any movie, it just depends on whether people take it seriously enough that it falters in the awards conversation and how well a studio can avoid it

FYC

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.