Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 514 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
fefface
kaziz
Diamond Tier
  • Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

When was the last time I travelled to Asia? Answer: Never (but it doesn’t mean I’ll never go to Asia if I’m given the opportunity to).

When was the last time a response made 0 sense? Answer: Right now. What does this have to do with the Oscars?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When was the last time a response made 0 sense? Answer: Right now. What does this have to do with the Oscars?

Metaphor /ˈmɛtəfə,ˈmɛtəfɔː/. A thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else.

Yeah I don’t see why it’s any different than anyone else being double-nominated. The voters aren’t going to suddenly not vote for both performances just because they happen to be the same director.

Totally agree.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Film expert
    Topics:

There are hundreds of great actors in industry giving every year hundreds of great performances worth award recognition, the belive or rather wishful thinking that if somebody was recognized and nominated in the past it means he/she is gonna get nominated every time they give any good or even great performance is rather staggering.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Metaphor /ˈmɛtəfə,ˈmɛtəfɔː/. A thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else.

Yikes. Was that the best metaphor you’ve got? Try again next time.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

There are hundreds of great actors in industry giving every year hundreds of great performances worth award recognition, the belive or rather wishful thinking that if somebody was recognized and nominated in the past it means he/she is gonna get nominated every time they give any good or even great performance is rather staggering.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

And how many of those directors you mention have had two major films out the same year? I know Cast Away and What Lies Beneath were close together but only one of those was ever going near the Oscars.

I just checked every director with 2 or more films in the same year. Unlike the case you and wolfali were just discussing, there’s plenty of precedents here to look at.

As for the trailer I am expecting a festival of camp with some dubious accent work and fabulous costumes. Can’t wait. But I might duck out of the threads as I fully anticipate several long posts from you about how bad it looks 😉

Bit rude. My long post was about showing how to the best of my knowledge it’s only happened twice in Oscar history that a director has two films and gets at least one acting nod from both. I haven’t said much about Gucci and probably won’t because it’ll already be said by a million other people.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Is there a chance Driver could be thrusted into Supporting if MGM thinks he can win that way? Someone brought it up in a Discord server and I was curious if anyone else thought the same

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Is there a chance Driver could be thrusted into Supporting if MGM thinks he can win that way? Someone brought it up in a Discord server and I was curious if anyone else thought the same

If HoG only looks likely to get noms for him and maybe one other actor, sure? He’s probably supporting for TLD too, right?

FYC:

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Bit rude. My long post was about showing how to the best of my knowledge it’s only happened twice in Oscar history that a director has two films and gets at least one acting nod from both. I haven’t said much about Gucci and probably won’t because it’ll already be said by a million other people.

It was a joke based on our earlier exchange, hence the wink. But I appreciate that it didn’t come across that way.

It’s always possible but it would be outrageous category fraud. Gaga has been beefed up into the narrator role but the book is about Maurizio.

Also he is likely to be campaigned Supporting for the other Scott. But if Amazon also wants to campaign him then he’ll run into himself either way.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

If HoG only looks likely to get noms for him and maybe one other actor, sure? He’s probably supporting for TLD too, right?

I would assume he’s supporting for TLD

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Not a lot to do for Adam on the first House of Gucci trailer. He’s really not going to get anything having three movies in a single year? 😭

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It was a joke based on our earlier exchange, hence the wink. But I appreciate that it didn’t come across that way.

Ahh, okay lol, now I understand our internet language. Won’t misread you again :))))

Also, I actually do like Ridley Scott quite a bit!—when he’s not making war films & medieval films :/ He gave the world Alien, Thelma & Louise, and Blade Runner. In my book, those 3 alone should give him a lifelong pass to keep getting big budgets for his films even if they’re mostly dreck.

Back to Best Actor, isn’t Adam Driver’s best bet here is…still Annette? People keep dismissing me when I say it but just address if the following is possible: since he’s gotten career-bests for it by critics, is it not possible that critics groups will cite him consistently? It’ll be out end-August and Amazon doesn’t have many options.

FYC:

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think Driver will get Robert De Niro’d in this one.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think Driver will get Robert De Niro’d in this one.

Missing for The Irishman or getting in for Cape Fear?

FYC:

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Obviously missing for The Irishman lol 😂

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.