Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 514 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
fefface
kaziz
Diamond Tier
  • Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I think Gaga could end up overshadowing Driver in HoG.

I’ve read the book and honestly? I doubt it. Yes Patrizia is a very OTT, outrageous character and Gaga will go all out. But even though she is going to be the POV character, Maurizio is the protagonist. And it’s not an unshowy role – just in a different way than Patrizia is.

Also what can I say, I’ve seen the guy on stage and he has stage presence in absolute spades.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

He is coming:

I agree Mothering Sunday might be a big contender. It also has Colin Firth and Olivia Colman in its cast. Alice Birch is a buzzy writer and the film’s plot reminded me of Merchant-Ivory films which Academy liked a lot. Not to mention, it is distributed by Sony Pictures Classics.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

He is coming:

I hope he is otherwise it would be a boring line-up of only returning nominees/winners. Male ingenue is badly needed, one this hot even more so. he’s so freakin good on The Crown.

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

DiCaprio or Washington seem like the front runners as of now. But these are my updated picks:
    1) DiCaprio
    2) Washington
    3) Smith
    4) Driver
    5) Isaacs

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I’ve read the book and honestly? I doubt it. Yes Patrizia is a very OTT, outrageous character and Gaga will go all out. But even though she is going to be the POV character, Maurizio is the protagonist. And it’s not an unshowy role – just in a different way than Patrizia is. Also what can I say, I’ve seen the guy on stage and he has stage presence in absolute spades.

Also correct me if I’m wrong but from what I understand, most of Gaga’s showiest scenes will be scenes with Driver, no? Not sure if she can ‘overshadow’ him in a one-on-one.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Also correct me if I’m wrong but from what I understand, most of Gaga’s showiest scenes will be scenes with Driver, no? Not sure if she can ‘overshadow’ him in a one-on-one.

They will both have good moments in scenes together and apart I think. And it’s maybe not the most useful comparison (the character he played in Burn This is supposed to be this big, all-consuming kind of guy) but when I saw the play I found myself watching him even when someone else was speaking. He’s just a really interesting actor to watch and he has masses of presence (and I don’t just mean in the fact he’s a really big dude, which he undoubtedly is – his hands and feet are enormous).

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

and I don’t just mean in the fact he’s a really big dude, which he undoubtedly is – his hands and feet are enormous).

There’s another thing of his that’s enormous, and alluded at on Girls, that should be seen, but it seems that rumor from TLD screening was a mix up. If a total nobody could get the moneyshot in the episode 3 of Sex/Life, why can’t Driver?

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

• Christian Bale, Canterbury Glass
    • Bradley Cooper, Nightmare Alley
    • Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    • Leonardo DiCaprio, Don’t Look Up
    • Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

Meh…I hope we get something more exciting than this line-up.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Driver has already started doing press for Annette in Cannes. Also: does anyone know when the time and days of other premieres will be announced? (e.g. Stillwater).

Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

Driver has already started doing press for Annette in Cannes. Also: does anyone know when the time and days of other premieres will be announced? (e.g. Stillwater).

The full schedule is already on the website

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

THR published an article on the Oscar chances of some films. The writer thinks Stillwater has the strongest Oscar pedigree despite playing out of competition. He also talked about Annette: One could be forgiven for approaching Cannes’ opening night film — French-filmmaker Leo Carax’s long-gestating English language debut Annette (Amazon) — with skepticism, even if it stars past Oscar winner Marion Cotillard and nominee Adam Driver. Why? Because of its genre (“cinematic opera” isn’t exactly a time-honored Academy favorite) and Cannes’ bleak history with fest launchers (sure, Midnight in Paris, Up and Moulin Rouge! went on to Oscars, but those were over a decade ago, and the vast majority of openers before and since have gone the way of My Blueberry Nights, Blindness and Cafe Society — as in, nowhere). Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cannes-2021-oscar-contenders-1234977515/

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

THR published an article on the Oscar chances of some films. The writer thinks Stillwater has the strongest Oscar pedigree despite playing out of competition. He also talked about Annette: One could be forgiven for approaching Cannes’ opening night film — French-filmmaker Leo Carax’s long-gestating English language debut Annette (Amazon) — with skepticism, even if it stars past Oscar winner Marion Cotillard and nominee Adam Driver. Why? Because of its genre (“cinematic opera” isn’t exactly a time-honored Academy favorite) and Cannes’ bleak history with fest launchers (sure, Midnight in Paris, Up and Moulin Rouge! went on to Oscars, but those were over a decade ago, and the vast majority of openers before and since have gone the way of My Blueberry Nights, Blindness and Cafe Society — as in, nowhere). Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cannes-2021-oscar-contenders-1234977515/

LOL at him predicting Stillwater.

As for Annette, I think we all know it’s going to be polarising (the one way Carax could have made his films more so is adding the sung-through musical factor, lol) which is why I think those people who do have it in predictions only have Driver and maybe Song. It is going to be a love-it-or-hate-it movie, nothing in-between.

It also, based on some things that have been said, involves potentially quite explicit sex scenes, which while not surprising for anyone familiar with Carax, makes it even more of an outlier.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Meh…I hope we get something more exciting than this line-up.

At least last season’s lineup provided so many inspiring picks. This year’s seems like it might end up being filled with starry mediocrity.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

My money is on Will vs Denzel. But I could see Benedict being competitive for the win too

Please read the book! I’ve been struggling to find the right comparison in terms of the kind of role Cumberbatch has because it’s fairly unique, but it’s sort of maybe like… Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood and Daniel Day-Lewis in Phantom Thread.

His role is a study in masculinity. But on the other hand: I think Dunst has the far more emotionally affecting role, and I think one of them will win, not both.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.