Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 514 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
fefface
kaziz
Music Forever
  • Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Not a lot to do for Adam on the first House of Gucci trailer. He’s really not going to get anything having three movies in a single year? 😭

He should have more to do in the film itself. His character has the best arc but in the trailer he does feel overshadowed (Maurizio was kind of a shy dude who ended up a big bad businessman so it does make sense). Like we didn’t see any of him and Gaga shouting at each other (presumably because MGM are smart and know that kissing in the bathtub has better virality)

Gaga has tens of millions of social media followers, foreground her in the trailer and you get views.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Back to Best Actor, isn’t Adam Driver’s best bet here is…still Annette? People keep dismissing me when I say it but just address if the following is possible: since he’s gotten career-bests for it by critics, is it not possible that critics groups will cite him consistently? It’ll be out end-August and Amazon doesn’t have many options.

I’d have disagreed until an hour ago but after the trailer…yeah I think you might be right? This looks less like a play for him than I expected, unless it’s a trailer thing because they know the draw is Gaga. I still think Annette will be a tough pull, though.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I’d have disagreed until an hour ago but after the trailer…yeah I think you might be right? This looks less like a play for him than I expected, unless it’s a trailer thing because they know the draw is Gaga. I still think Annette will be a tough pull, though.

I’m sure he’ll be great in HoG like he is in all his movies, but I don’t think the performance will top the career-best reviews he got for Annette. He’s also a producer on Annette. I wonder if that might make him decide to campaign for lead actor to support Annette, or he might decide to campaign lead for HoG.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Ahh, okay lol, now I understand our internet language. Won’t misread you again :)))) Also, I actually do like Ridley Scott quite a bit!—when he’s not making war films & medieval films :/ He gave the world Alien, Thelma & Louise, and Blade Runner. In my book, those 3 alone should give him a lifelong pass to keep getting big budgets for his films even if they’re mostly dreck. Back to Best Actor, isn’t Adam Driver’s best bet here is…still Annette? People keep dismissing me when I say it but just address if the following is possible: since he’s gotten career-bests for it by critics, is it not possible that critics groups will cite him consistently? It’ll be out end-August and Amazon doesn’t have many options.

It does feel like Driver will still win some critics prizes. Cumberbatch can’t sweep everything (I guess maybe Phoenix takes some for C’mon C’mon?).

Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

He should have more to do in the film itself. His character has the best arc but in the trailer he does feel overshadowed (Maurizio was kind of a shy dude who ended up a big bad businessman so it does make sense). Like we didn’t see any of him and Gaga shouting at each other (presumably because MGM are smart and know that kissing in the bathtub has better virality) Gaga has tens of millions of social media followers, foreground her in the trailer and you get views.

right and apart from the other clips the trailer really runs for 1:30 so I’m not concerned. This trailer was designed to quickly sell the glamour and style of the film and it did that. Having read the book, despite Maurizio’s disposition there are definitely meaty scenes for Adam coming.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Driver not getting a nom if the movie gets mediocre reviews. Funny because he is doing 3 oscar baits this year. I hope he gets in supporting for tld.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It does feel like Driver will still win some critics prizes. Cumberbatch can’t sweep everything (I guess maybe Phoenix takes some for C’mon C’mon?).

Exactly what I’m thinking. Critics groups often get behind performances even if they’re in “weird” movies. In Actress for instance, JHud is likely to be safe for a nod but I don’t think she’ll be a critics group fave. Phoenix and Driver can be those people, but there’s others as well. As of now, only one lauded performance has actually been seen—Driver in Annette. So I just think it’s odd to rule him out until the others are seen, because critics seem poised to get behind him even though they won’t give accolades to the film. It’s possible. I genuinely have no idea if TLD or HoG will be BP players, but even if they are, Driver’s overshadowed by Comer, Gaga, perhaps Leto, Pacino as well. Since Amazon’s only got Annette & Louis Wain, they’ll almost definitely campaign Driver at the very least.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

Driver will probably the main draw for Annette from the Academy’s perspective, while there are other things about HoG that they’ll be into. I think the value of Maurizio in terms of Driver’s award chances is the contrast between that role and the two others he’s playing this year.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Was fairly confident Driver would make it in for HoG but it looks like the Gaga show to be honest. Everyone will forget Annette by Oscar voting. At least Dafoe had regency bias from Venice and played Vincent Van Goh. Antonio a andreas also won at Cannes and was overdue for a first nomination.

That being said, Driver in The Last Duel rises for supporting actor.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Driver not getting a nom if the movie gets mediocre reviews. Funny because he is doing 3 oscar baits this year. I hope he gets in supporting for tld.

How is Annette Oscar Bait?

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

It isn’t.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Didn’t think C’mon C’mon would be released this year, but I’m going to have to update my BA predictions.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Was The Shape of Water an Oscar bait movie? Driver is so thirsty for that Oscar just like Cooper

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Was The Shape of Water an Oscar bait movie? Driver is so thirsty for that Oscar just like Cooper

In what way is The Shape of Water relevant? And no it isn’t an Oscar bait movie, it won a bunch of stuff but it’s definitely not traditional bait.

Cooper embarrassed himself with ASIB and made his thirst obvious. Driver making a weird small film with Leos Carax is not ‘thirst’ lol, even if he gets in for it. Your argument of ‘this non-Oscar bait movie that ended up winning means that other non-Oscar bait movies are in fact bait’ makes no sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.